I think I might need a more explosive bullet?

Dakor,
The Rem power locks are crap for consistency and perform just like you noted.

Here is my favorite .223 load and it is one that exceeds all known .223 parameters. I have flipped 8 pound chucks 2 feet in the air at 545 yards with this load. For some reason, it is the perfect combo of ingredients to wring the absolute highest safe velocity from a .223 known to man! Ok, here it is:

Match prep a Winchester case and cull out the garbage pieces. Then seat a Winchester WSR primer just below flush. Then put in 26-27 grains of Alliant's RL10x and seat a 40 grain Sierra Blitzking .010" off the lands. When chronoed through a 24" barrel, this load will do a tad over 4000 fps with safe pressure! It gets a little sticky around 80 degree temps, but still doesn't loosen primer pockets.

I got a friend of mine onto this same load last fall, and he said it shot 3/8" groups and printed 4 minutes higher at 500 yards then his previous "hot load".

A ballistic historian will note that this load far exceeds the original ballistics generated by the .220 swift with it's 48 grain hollow point! It is a super .223. Hundreds of chucks can attest to the potency of this load!

GG your crazy like me...I like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have Win Brass but right now I am using Black Hills Match Brass will that work? Have you tried a Fed primer with this load or do you need the WIN primer? I will give it a try. Looks like I am not the only one wanting to shoot the 500 yard mark with a 223 I feel a little better now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The barrel on my 223 is 24inches.

I tried federal brass, and it did not hold up quite as well as the Winchester, and it has a slightly different case capacity that doesn't seem to work as well.

I did run Rem 7 1/2 primers, Fed 205gm's, and Win Wsr primers in Win cases though and the Feds gave a velo of 3825, the Win gave 4009, and the Rems gave 3915 but were way too hot and gave zero accuracy. It is something about the composition of the Win primer and the make-up of the Rl10x combined with the slightly thicker Win case that make this load sizzle.

500 yard bunnies are in for a world of trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FWIW, 50 vmax with 27gn of benchmark work great at 3500fps.

'sploded lots of prairie dogs and it is pretty hard on my local groundhogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Well GG I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. I have to go buy some powder anyway so I can pick up those primers and some RL-10.

Let me know if you change your mind on the bullets. Richard is very busy right now but I would drop him a line and make sure that the order hasn't been lost in shipping or what have you. It only took about 3 and 1/2 weeks to get mine. They are worth waiting for.

Can't wait to hear the red mist stories!
One other thing I should mention is that you can substitute the 40 blitzkings with 40 grain vmax and the results are pretty similiar on game. And if fact, the trajectories are almost identical and in my gun at least, they shoot the same point of impact at 100 yards.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to support the masses on the Nosler BT. The 55 grainers out of my 243 will absoulutly liquify a prarie dog!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
That may just be the understatement of the century.
I shot a medium sized coyote with one at just under 200yds. The only thing holding the two halves together was a 3" wide piece of skin.

GG I was going to use the 40 V-max with this load to start since I have them already but it is good to know you have tried them. Well I guess I will not be trying this load out tomorrow. I went to a couple of places and they were all out of RL-10x. They are supposed to be getting some in next week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif At least my 220 MatchKings for my 300 Win came in after 4 weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Well I will keep you guys posted on what happends with this load. Thanks Again Everyone!!!

I shoot the 55gr H.P. bullets and the groundhogs I shoot blow-up with those H.P. bullets. I don't think they would be any good for rabbits they would blow-up also with my 22-250.

Dekor, those jacks get pretty big. I went to the 55g bullets to get more blow up. The Sierra 55g Regular Blitz is fantastic when loaded with n-133 or 135. With either powder, the accuracy load seems to be right at a max load. These powders can vary a little from lot to lot, so I hesitate to give you what my rifle likes. I did get best results using a Rem 7 1/2 primer or a BR-4 with IMI brass. I was getting close to 22/250 Velocities with my 25" bbl.

A jackrabbit should look like a handgrenade went off in him at close range, and should be just about cut in half at 200 yards with the 55g Blitz at a muzzle velocity of 3350. The 50g std blitz is unreal also with loaded to 3500 on jacks, but there is a lot more blow up effect with the 55's.

You had a question on the Hornady 55g SX, yes it is a great bullet, and I can not say that it is more or less explosve than the 55g Sierra Blitz. I got stuck on the Sierra Blitz due to the extreme accuracy. I won a Benchrest match with a 22 PPC shooting 50g Sierra Blitz with an agg of .189 at 100 yards only. The 50g Sierra blitz really makes a mess out of a coyote, but I still prefer the 55 blitz on coyotes and Jackrabbits.

If you are interested in shooting the poly tip bullets, I did a test for PMC Ammunition a few years back Shooting ground squirrels. Their ballistician loaded 250 each of the 50g Nosler ballistic tips, 50g blitz kings, and 50g Hornady V max. The PMC Pres and I shot 250 straight of each type before going to the next type of bullet. The hands down winner was the Sierra Blitz king, with the V-Max being fairly close, and the Nosler Ballistic tips being a distant third. We judged the bullets on how far up in the air the squirrel was lanuched, or sideways launches. The Sierra blitz king simply is in a class by itself.

I have never shot a jackrabbit with a blitz king bullet to give you a comparrison. Part of the fun is trying different types of bullets and seeing for yourself what you like.

I can not say enough good about the N-133 and 135 powders for the 223 using the 50 and 55g bullets. I have gotten the best velocity along with accuracy, with benchmark coming a close second but with 125-150fps less velocity.

Good luck

I'll put in my two cents and a plug for Bereger , I shoot the 35 and 45gr MEF bullets out of a 222Rem with good results always a big splat considering the velocity.
Out of my 22-250Ai I like the 55 and 60gr class bullets , the 52gr A-max has a pretty good pop to it as does the the 64gr Berger MEF bullet
If you give them a call and ask for Carl he will likly send you several bullets to try , unless he's gotten in trouble for it lately , he was a huge help when I was working with the Berger VLD's

The most explosive .224 bullet on the planet is the Hornady 50 grain SPSX. I have tried the rest and just keep coming back to it. It doesn't look like much but when it exits a bunny you can expect 6" exit holes. On a digger squirrel it will either blow them to bits or when you get out a ways it will stretch out a 10" squirrel to over 3' long. Birds shot with it will turn into an exploded feather pillow with very few parts coming down. No plastic tip bullet comes close.

I've been on 3 separate P-dog hunting trips to S. Dakota. My local gun dealer hosts the excursion for his loyal customers. 16 hunters brought all types of weapons from 22 pistols up to the dealers L82A1. Almost all of us are handloaders and we were able to evaluate each persons recipe for the ultimate 22 cal varmint round. The Blitzkings are the top dog, no doubt about it. 55g blitzers out of a 22-250 made more devistation than a 50 cal does at 250 yards. We have a running "chunk spread" contest with $50 entry fee, blitzers have won last 2 years. I've cooked up something special this year for the contest, 338 Lapua Magnum with hornadays 200 grain ballistic tip bullet travelling at 3200fps. The record is 15 feet of side to side max spread from the center of the red spot. But for regular hunting I use the v-max 55gr moly on 26g of varget in my bushy varminter. I'm bringing 6 different bullets for my bushy- Midway dogtowns, hornaday vmax and sp/sx, sierra blitzkings and matchkings, and some frangible stuff, just to see what happens! Always remember, speed=expansion=explosion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.