Best deer bullet for 223

Waynard

Hi guys, anybody have a favorite bullet and loads to use in a 223 Ruger American Rifle. I'm looking at something for doe hunting so I don't destroy a lot of meat. :cool:

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Keith

I have shot several does with the 55 grain soft point using the heart/lung shot.They all dropped quickly but remember our does here only go about 90lbs.

I've read posts from others that liked the 60 gr Nosler Partition. One guy stated it was the only .224 bullet that he felt good about using on large game like deer because they always provided sufficient penetration on broadside shots into the rib cage out to ~200 yds. Never shot a deer with one myself.

I've used the Hornady 55gr soft point out of a 16" AR platform on smaller TX white tails with great success. I'd also recommend Barnes 55gr TSX or the Federal fusion load.

What is your barrel twist rate? 1 in 9 and I would go with the Barnes 55 or 62 grain TSX or 60 grain Nosler Partition. 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 and you can go a little heavier. I have read comments where some have taken 200 pound plus deer with the 223. Just make it a good head, heart, or double lung shot.

Thanks for the info, from what I can gather from what your all are saying, anything in the 55 gr. to 65 gr. bullet so long as its not a soft explosive bullet. I like Sierra and Nosler bullets best. But these days I'll try whatever I can get my reloading powder stained hands on.:D

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. Elmer Keith

I'm saying definitely not a solid bullet. Use a bullet with a soft tip so it will do 'damage' and do a humane kill on the animal. Most of the time a 223 on coyotes; if you don;t hit them in the right spot , you wont be able to recover the animal, they get away and die someplace ~ same or more-so with a deer. Its not going to ruin a lot of meat either. For crying out loud , I shoot deer all the time with a 308, and it doesn't mess up the meat.... from 50 yds to 400 yds sometimes.... with 150 gr BTSP.....

first of all I'm dead set against the idea of hunting deer with a .223. Nuff said! Might do OK with a 6x45 with 90 grain or heavier bullets, but once again we're looking at 250 yards or less. It's a good coyote round as well (so is the .223 with 50 or 55 grain bullets)
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts