270 bullet best for whitetailed deer

I posted earlier on my experiences today with the 270 Ackley I have and running a 130nbt at 3308. They come apart and I had 1 deer that was not recovered from a 65 yard shot.

SO MY QUESTION IS....
What bullet do you guys suggest using on whitetailed deer in Va that is tough enough to stay together at 3300fps close distance, and still work their magic without pin holing them. My max distance ever around here is 770 yards and normally under 350 yards.
Looked at Hammers and accubond but concerned accubond won't open up on whitetail.

Going to stay with a 130 or 140 class bullet due to the 10 twist barrel.
Killed a lot of deer with 270 winchester nosler ballistic tip 130 and 140 have never had a problem dropped at shot, if they ran not very far I think it's a very good deer bullet. Just my 2 cents

Killed a lot of deer with 270 winchester nosler ballistic tip 130 and 140 have never had a problem dropped at shot, if they ran not very far I think it's a very good deer bullet. Just my 2 cents

I agree 100%, killed a lot of deer with them in my ol 270 remmy. They just running too fast out of this Ackley to preform as designed under about 200 yards. I have reached out to Nosler to see what their "suggested" speeds are.

I posted earlier on my experiences today with the 270 Ackley I have and running a 130nbt at 3308. They come apart and I had 1 deer that was not recovered from a 65 yard shot.

SO MY QUESTION IS....
What bullet do you guys suggest using on whitetailed deer in Va that is tough enough to stay together at 3300fps close distance, and still work their magic without pin holing them. My max distance ever around here is 770 yards and normally under 350 yards.
Looked at Hammers and accubond but concerned accubond won't open up on whitetail.

Shot my elk at 250 yards with my 300 RUM loaded with 150 gr Barnes tipped triple shock running at 3,600 fps. Went through both scapulas expanded nicely, held together very well. I'm a big believer in the Barnes bullet.

Badlands Precision has a 128 bulldozer that will work fine in a 10 twist.
it is a aluminum tipped mono that is just the ticket. drive them as hard as you want they will hold together and also expand at lower velocity
The 126g Hammer Hunter is shorter than the Bulldozer giving it a better sg from the 10" twist. We recommend a 9" twist for this bullet for best results. Marginally stable bullets may shoot well but they do not perform as well after impact. Most manufactures sell .277 cal and .257 bullets that are marginally stable in the factory 10" twist barrels. We just won't do it. Not worth it to us to have hit and miss terminal performance.

I would run the 117g Hammer Hunter like you stole it. We are getting 3400 fps from the standard 270win with rl16. Guessing the ai will get another 100fps. One of our customers took a large bull elk with the 117g HH at 570y from his 270wsm. He was running them just shy of 3500 fps. I'm not sure your altitude, but I ran 2000' elev in JBM at standard atmosphere with a vel of 3500 fps. This would run to 700y and keep 1745fps. All conditions right I would be comfortable with this.

10" twist in the .277 cal is a tough thing to deal with for long range. There is only one way to make bullets heavier. They gotta get longer and it requires more twist. Bullet weight is the biggest factor when it comes to bc.

Our 133g Sledge Hammer will fully stabilize in the 10" twist and it will run very close to the 117g Hammer Hunter. Not nearly as sexy of a design but the weight gets the bc higher. We have not rung out the 133g at longer ranges like we have with the 117g. So not positive it will hang in at the longest ranges. Will be close and with the 2.5mm hollow point vs the 1.5mm hp of the 117g Hammer Hunter, it will open much easier at low vel. We advertise 1800fps on all of our bullets regardless of how low they will go. It is the only place that we let our ethics inflict our marketing decisions. If anyone is comfortable with lower vel impacts they should impact test whatever bullet they are using to make sure it will do what is expected, regardless of what the manufacture says. Pretty easy to say that a bullet performs properly on game at 1500fps. How many people will ever know? Very few can make that shot and chances are it will pass through the animal.

I had a customer contact me a couple of days ago to let me know that his area game warden used his rifle to take a whitetail buck at 1890y with our 260g .338 Hammer Hunter. One shot dropped it in it's tracks. They recovered the bullet in the off shoulder. Zero deformation. To my calculations that put his impact vel at 1200fps from a muzzle vel of 3450fps. Right at the sound barrier. Did this bullet perform properly? I guess that is a matter of opinion. Deer was DRT. I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

SO MY QUESTION IS....

Bonded bullets like accubonds or mono metal ones.

I hunt whitetail every year in West Virginia and then another "Outfitter " deer hunt someplace that sounds good . I have only taken about 8 deer in the past 12 years , so I know I am not in category of many of you guys, but the deer I have shot Died Extremely Fast. No tracking required. Only One second shot needed in all that time. My fault for running to see the deer I just shot and he got up and ran , then laid down again and I took a second shot. Stupid on my part . I use only the 130 Grain Nolser Ballistic bullets from my 270 Win. Muzz velocity at 3050 fps. All deer taken between 100 and 130 yards. All heart and lung shots , and I keep off the shoulder. Internal organs completely destroyed. Two deer just fell straight down, dead. Never an exit hole. No bullet left to recover. That bullet is my #1 choice for Whitetail deer.

If you are shooting past 300yds you have enough time to switch from a mono or bonded to a long range bullet like a 140 classic hunter 150 vld berger 140smk game changer or 145eldx etc. The hammer 117 as hard as you an push it will work well close.
If you shoot a longe range bullet at a point blank target you are asking for trouble on most brands and styles.

FYI,.. My 10 Twist, .270 WSM, Tikka , T-3 Lite, shoots, the 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter's, @ .528 BC, really,.. WELL !
Approx. 1/2 MOA @ 100 & 200 yards and 3/4 MOA to 700 Yards and Kills Elk,.. like,.. the "Hammer of Thor" !
3,185 FPS in, a .270 WSM W/ 65.7 grains of IMR 7828, F-215's but,.. IMO too MUCH for, Deer UN-less way, out there !
In a .270 Win, I'd use, the Bullets listed by,.. Lenny Foffa and skipglo above,.. for Deer !
Used them both, myself, in a .270 Wby for, many, Years and they WILL work,.. "Awesome"

If you are shooting past 300yds you have enough time to switch from a mono or bonded to a long range bullet like a 140 classic hunter 150 vld berger 140smk game changer or 145eldx etc. The hammer 117 as hard as you an push it will work well close.
If you shoot a longe range bullet at a point blank target you are asking for trouble on most brands and styles.
About the gist of it!
Adapt the bullet to the game being targeted and the most frequent shooting conditions/distance.

At the SPEED that, the OP's "running" them,.. I'd USE, the 140 grain, Sirocco II's or, AccuBonds,.. BONDED !!!
I forgot and Skipped, reading, the FIRST Post,.. LOL !
ME,.. BAD !
I shot an Elk, a couple of years ago with, the 140 AccuBond from, my .270 WSM at, ONLY, 60- 70 Yards and it did NOT, "destroy", much Meat with, Full Penetration and, a 2 inch Hole, in the off Shoulder Blade, W/ Bullet stuck, in the Hide.
The Regular AB,.. "Excels" at close Range and,. HIGH speed, Impacts !!!
Just NOTICED, the 2019 Post,.. Chit !!!,.. Me ,.. REALLY,.. Bad !

Last edited: