Best Bullet for 270 WSM?

MtPockets

I am looking for recommendations on a bullet for a 10 twist 270 WSM. I mainly hunt elk with it, with some (so far unsuccessful) forays for wolves. My elk hunting varies from mountain timber to the more open plains. My goal on a self imposed limit on range is currently at 600, but with time could possibly be comfortable extending that.
I have just recently begun load workup with 150 Nosler Partitions, but also wondered if there are others out there I should be looking at as well?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Ron

Hey Ron,

The 10" twist limits us a bit but our 133g Sledge Hammer will fully stabilize and run at 3400 fps. This will be effective to 800y. It will easily reach your hunting range and will absolutely have no trouble with the potential short shots that we deal with in western MT.

Not sure where you are but thinking we should get together and shoot some.

Hi Steve!
I'd be up for that! I'll give you a call one of these first days and we'll figure something out.
I'm down in Carbon County, southwest of Billings.
I would definitely like to give your 133s a shot!

Thanks for the response!

I won't say it's the "best" bullet for your purposes but it has been for me. 140gr Berger H-vld. H-1000 69.5grns at 3300 fps, 26" Bbl. This is max, don't start with this load. It has worked well on pigs, deer, and aoudad. This bullet doesn't stay together near as well as the 6.5mm 140 H-Vld does at closer ranges but it still does a good job.

I haven't shot the hammer bulllets, but I'm sure they would be an excellent choice.

I've thought about trying the Bergers, but haven't as yet. How do they do in a 10 twist barrel? I was under the impression that they needed something faster?
I'm up for trying just about anything. If nothing else, I'll learn things doing several different load work ups!
One of these first days, I'm going to get working on a load for the 133 Sledge Hammer that Steve has. We'll see where it goes from there.
Does anyone have experience with the 270 Hammer bullets? They sure sound awesome!
Any other bullet suggestions?

You'll stabilize the Berger 140 and 150 no problem the 170 probably not. My hands down favorite bullet in the 270 WSM is the 165 Matrix and they will shoot from a 10 twist and rock elk out into the 1000 yard range.

The 140 grain Nosler AccuBond, "worked" for me, on a late Rifle Elk, in Arizona, on Dec 3rd., One fairly close shot, w/ Rifle, over "sticks", very precise hold at, 2 inches behind the leg/ shoulder, "crease",.. he jumped 2X,.. DEAD ! Meat was NOT, "Hamburgered", and very limited, "blood shot" area, on far shoulder, as Bull was at, a slight angle and Bullet clipped, the shoulder clavicle a bit .
The Nosler 140 Accu, in a .270 WSM at, 3,150ish FPS, is still going over 2,000 FPS at 750 yards and Nosler says that, it will expand/mushroom down, to 1,800 FPS.
I am getting about, 1/2" to 3/4", MOA groups, out of my Tikka T3, with 64.7 gr's of IMR 7828 and F-215's, seated full Magazine length. The Berger 140 Classic Hunter would also be a great choice and would add about another, 100 or more yards, to the .270 WSM's, "effective range" if, you can shoot that far ! My personal "range limit", shooting Prone over a Pack is 650 Yards ( If the WIND, cooperates !). I chose the AB because of Meat destruction "possibilities", at CLOSE Range and felt more comfortable going with, the AB, and, it DID it's "job" as, we lost maybe, a pound of far shoulder Meat, on this CLOSE 70 yard, shot ! I had my scope on a large herd of Elk and was trying, to "find" the Bull my son saw, at 250-300 yards when, a small herd came at us, to our left from, behind, he moved out of the "way" covered his Ears and "Boom" ! I t was a fun Hunt, with my son but, it Snowed for, the first 3 Days and Hiking in 6 to 12 inches of the White chit,..wasn't a "Blast",.. LOL ! Good luck with your choice of Bullet!

My son made me, a custom Turret "Tape" for my 4.5-14X Burris and we have estimated the BC of, the 140 AB to be about .485 not, the .496 BC that, Nosler quotes and after many Days of Target "validating" the Tape from 200 yd Zero, thru 700 yards that's, the BC we used. NICE, to have a Techy, SMART, son who has also turned out to be a great Elk Hunter ! The 145 grain Hornady ELD-X, might be another Bullet, for you, to look at ? My son shot, a nice 6X6 Elk in southern Idaho, 3 weeks ago with, the 150 ELD-X at 250 yards, with his 7mm-08,.. again,.. ONE shot, dead Elk ! We are,.. eatin', GOOD !

I am partial to monometal bullets, mostly used Barnes and Cutting Edge. I haven't used Hammer bullets yet. I like the CE 130 gr MTH. It has a pretty good BC (.54) and for some reason about 100 fps better velocity than 129 LRX in my Tikka 270 WSM. Also has great accuracy. I have had good results with CE so far with about 8 mule deer and a couple of elk taken with them at ranges up to 600 yds. I think I remember Bigngreen talking about some issues with them, not sure and I'd like to hear his feedback. Like with every bullet there will be varying stories. I think with the MTH bullets there is likely smaller room for error because the main body of the bullet holds together and the cutting petals separate off the front half. I recovered the base of a bullet from an elk and the front was cleanly separated, not mushroomed, and the separated petals were not found. Pretty much just as CE describes the performance design. Bottom line for me has been that they are very lethal but not widespread explosive damage and virtually no meat loss so you want to be right on heart/lungs or CNS.

Last edited:
I chose the Nosler long range Accubond 150 grain bullets for my 270 WSM. They have the extra weight for Elk and my rifle loves them. Long range accuracy is excellent.

In addition to the Noslers, Swift make 150 grain A-frame that's worth taking a look at and Hammer offers two heavier bullets, a 156 grain and a 168 grain Hammer they are supposed to be excellent Elk medicine.

Last edited:
I have a 1-9twist 270 wsm. I use to love the 140 accubonds when it was a 1-10twist . But since rebuilding it the 165 vld matrix are amazing and turned the 270 wsm into a differnt beast for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.