Best deer bullets for 243AI

Old Coach

I have a 243AI on the way and need suggestions for a deer and hog bullet.
The rifle has a 9 twist in a 25" bbl.
Most shots under 300 yds for now.
Later in the season I hunt a different area and get a 600 yds shot at hogs.

THANKS
Coach

For deer I like the 105 gr Amax, if your rifle will stabilize them. I've never hunted hogs, but have read they are tougher to put down than deer, so I think I'd look at the 90 gr Scirocco, much tougher bullet, espesially inside 300 yds.

Chris

My personal preferance is the berger 105 vld. It works great on deer and would not hesitate to use it on hogs as long as shot placement is there.

Chris

I load 100g Sierra gamekings for my .243 AI. They shoot really flat and have taken a couple of Muleys at 300yds.

My .243 AI has a 22"bbl though, It's a light weight mountain rifle.

Dan

I would say it depends on what twist you're shooting. For a 10 twist bbl, it is hard to beat the 87 grainers. you can get them smoking out of an ackley case, almost up to 257 weatherby standards. For some faster twists, try the 115 Bergers. There is a very noticeable difference in "umphh" that the 115's carry over the 107's.

I have shot a couple deer with the 107's out of my ackley, and I wasn't that impressed, they both pencilled through and needed a follow up shot. One was at 680 yds, and the other at 710. I was pushing them at about 3100.
As far as the 115's, just have one kill, (508 yd deer), high shoulder shot and she never knew what hit her.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.