260 bullet for deer.

Old Coach

I have a Rem Mdl 7 in 260 with a 20" bbl.
What bullet do you use for deer?
Ranges up to 350yds from elevated stands with a rest.
Load info helpful.

THANKS
Coach

120gr Nosler BT
120gr Hornady Amax
129gr Hornady SST
140gr Hornady Amax
140gr Sierra Gameking

...all will perform roughly the same the first 5-600 in terms of windrift and all drop deer very well.

I have used 120 and 140 Sierra's very successfully in my 6.5X55 Swede which is about the same as a 260 velocity wise. But the one bullet that I use now is the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip. It is a really very accurate bullet and it is a deer killer. Load it with a stiff dose of H-4350 and it will get-er-done.

I just worked up a load with RL17 and 129SST. MV of 3000 and 24"barrel. Havent shot a deer but the bullet historically preforms well.FWIW

It also fits the mag.

I have a friend that shot a bunch ,25-30, whitetails and sika deer with the 125 gr. nosler partition bullet out of a 20" barrelled Model 7. I believe he used IMR 4831. I have used the 130 gr. Berger hunting VLD for antelope. My gun is a 30" kreiger barrelled Rem 700. I use Reloder 17 and am so happy I have stopped looking for any other loads. Bang, flop on the antelope killed so far. Both of these bullets are devasting on game. I believe the 125 gr. nosler has an advantage over the ballistic tip because they seem to expand faster even on little (45 lbs) sika deer doe. yet will kill any whitetail because of the rear section that keeps on going. The 130 gr. bergers are pretty long to go through the magazine of a short action rifle and not be a mile in the case. My rifle is a long action and OAL is set at 2.99".

I have a friend that shot a bunch ,25-30, whitetails and sika deer with the 125 gr. nosler partition bullet out of a 20" barrelled Model 7. I believe he used IMR 4831. I have used the 130 gr. Berger hunting VLD for antelope. My gun is a 30" kreiger barrelled Rem 700. I use Reloder 17 and am so happy I have stopped looking for any other loads. Bang, flop on the antelope killed so far. Both of these bullets are devasting on game. I believe the 125 gr. nosler has an advantage over the ballistic tip because they seem to expand faster even on little (45 lbs) sika deer doe. yet will kill any whitetail because of the rear section that keeps on going. The 130 gr. bergers are pretty long to go through the magazine of a short action rifle and not be a mile in the case. My rifle is a long action and OAL is set at 2.99".

The 2.99" is COAL with the 130 gr Berger hunting VLD? I've been looking at those bullets and I was curious about seating depths.

I need to measure my rifle's chamber to find out what the max length I can fit.

Reply to jtkratzer : The length is the overall length not COAL. At that length the bullet is into the lands about .015"
I have a long action Rem. 700, with an altered magazine , 3.15" length . I had the throat made to have the top of the boattail be just at the case neck/ shoulder junction. With the ability to use the full case capacity and the long 30" krieger barrel and Reloder 17 this gun is shooting 3120 fps with no pressure signs. I use Remington brass and federal 210 primers. So its not the "tough brass and Primers.
The funny thing is this gun used to be a .25-06. After seeing what this .260 is capable of I wish I would have gotten the new barrel years ago.

Reply to jtkratzer : The length is the overall length not COAL. At that length the bullet is into the lands about .015"
I have a long action Rem. 700, with an altered magazine , 3.15" length . I had the throat made to have the top of the boattail be just at the case neck/ shoulder junction. With the ability to use the full case capacity and the long 30" krieger barrel and Reloder 17 this gun is shooting 3120 fps with no pressure signs. I use Remington brass and federal 210 primers. So its not the "tough brass and Primers.
The funny thing is this gun used to be a .25-06. After seeing what this .260 is capable of I wish I would have gotten the new barrel years ago.

That's what I was referring to, the overall length of the complete, loaded round.

I had a local guy work up some loads to get started finding out what my rifle likes until the rest of my reloading gear gets here. Just waiting on the dies at this point and then I'll be able to find out what OAL I can load and still fit in the magazine. I'm have not problem with 2.800" with 129 gr bullets, but I'd like to see how seating depth changes go with this thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts