Do you use a sun shade on your scope or not?

It's this thing people add to their guns to make them heavier and let in less light in low light conditions. It's usually the same guys that take a kill picture with their gun 2 feet in front of the animal with the focus on the gun and not on them with their trophy.

Everyone once in a while it's a thing to help keep glare off a scope during first and last light, used mostly by predator hunters hunting open fields. This is a small percentage and these guys aren't nearly as cool as the first group!

Imagine,,,, it is about 8;00 pm, towards the end of nice June day and you are facing west across a 300-440-yard-wide alfalfa field ("hunting open fields"). A talus slope (rockslide) is at the edge of alfalfa and numerous rock chucks are lounging about going from dens to alfalfa. The nice farmer man wants you to shoot (preferred over poison) the rockchucks because they are eating his alfalfa and rockchuck poop is being bundled up in alfalfa bales. The problem is that the afternoon sun rays are casting a brassy glow inside your scope and target images are obscured.

I have sunshades that fit all & every one of my scopes but not each scope has a sunshade. No problems with fitting Leupold & Sightron scopes - these are made by manufacturer and screw into objective end of scope. Problems with getting sunshades for my Burris 5-25X50 HD & 6.5-20X50 EI - not available from Burris. The fix was 3D printed nylon sunshades from MK machine. These clamp on using T15 screws sideways thru partially open end. Give MK the OD diameter of the objective end of scope & $30-$35 & they will make a sunshade to fit. Sort of look dorky (not cool) but work good.

Instead of rodents, imagine giant elks or deers coming out of the forest just after legal hunting time east of your position.

IMG_1802.JPG

Burris 6.5-20X50 E1 (2.29 OD), good cheap scope. Adequate & effective combo (.204R) for most use.

Last edited:
Hugnot has a great point. My comp rifles have sunshades attached to them. Been in a lot of shooting situations where it was very needed. Generally, I leave it off my hunting rifle and in my pack. Left mine out of my pack once and regretted it after I missed an opportunity to fill my tag. They have their purpose and don't take up too much room.

I have one for my 22-250 varmint scope but it is rarely needed here in West Virginia, we only get about 35 days of sun per year, it's usually raining or snowing or at least very heavy cloud cover :rolleyes::oops::confused: