Do you name your guns?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Skinny Shooter, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Skinny Shooter

Skinny Shooter Well-Known Member

I know Boyd has some pet names for his guns.

Thought I would name my 308
    "Mister Mojo",
    next to seeing a youngun out hunting with a gun that just warms my heart. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]

2. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

Skinny,I would name that gun.(TOO DARN PRETTY TO SHOOT) [​IMG] .Very nice Iron..........

3. Skinny Shooter

Thought about Ms. Mojo but that didn't seem right. [​IMG]

Boyd, have already got a scratch in that stock, the first one always hurts, and the second, and the... [​IMG]

4. littletoes

littletoes Well-Known Member

I like-'ol make 'em come! How you been Boyd? Haven't heard from you in a while. Can't believe you let that stock get scratched Skinney!

5. Skinny Shooter

littletoes, I had set-up for deer on the side of a ridge just below the crest at the base of a tree. Snow was on the ground and with the rifle lying across my legs I decide to shift my position. For some reason the buttstock shifts a bit and moves in the snow. But the snow was hard. [​IMG] There was a bloomin fieldstone just under the surface that did the deed... [​IMG]
    Never, never, never do that but I did. Now if it had been a VS stock that gun would have just laughed...

Also shoot a BDL Varmint in 222, picked it up at an eeeeeville gunshow in Harrisburg two Decembers ago.
    It's my American Express rifle, never leave home without it. [​IMG]

[ 02-14-2003: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I name mine same method and as often as I name and rename my dog and boss (daily or more often, by my disposition and it's/his performance). Wanna hear some of them?

7. bob kudile

bob kudile New Member

skinny, i call all my guns by model or cal except for one. i was hot for a hornet when ruger came out with the 77/22 hornet i was on three waiting lists. finaly got it, early model slim barrel,then the trouble started and i am still working on it. it is now a k-hornet. i cant post the names i have given it. maybe the pistols and shotguns are ok but the rifles are bad news. i dont understand why they are bought stripped and rebuilt with after market parts. buy a cooper and enjoy it right out of the box. bob

8. STL_Shooter

STL_Shooter Well-Known Member

I don't have that close a relationship with any of my firearms to feel really comfortable calling them by their first name, let alone to name them like I would a child.

But S1's made that harder for me - I do find myself saying "I'm going out to shoot the Wolf today...". Now, when I start calling it "Wolfie", well then - I think I've will have gone too far! [​IMG]

9. Tim Behle

Tim Behle Well-Known Member

I Don't normally name them, but I do have a Winchester Model 70 that is known by either "Maggie" or "The big long shiny gun" even though it is no longer the longest, or shiniest rifle I own.

It was the first rifle I bought for the express purpose of reaching out beyond 300 yards and making repeatable, one shot kills.

10. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Most of my guns are just "gun". [​IMG]
    However, one of my earlier varmint rigs was named the "BLACK MAMBA". Every inch of this rifle is black and it has a nasty bite.
    Later on I built a much snappier rig which was called "Ol' Sparky". Flames all over the stock and a few projecting from the muzzle when I launch bullets from her 22-243AI chamber. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Boomer(36#States Arms,50BMG) & Thumper(25# States Arms,MachV 375/50BMG)Just to name two but then there is Spanky(8twist 22-250), Squirt(223VT),Slugger(Win 12ga)& Buzz(Colt AR)
    [​IMG]

12. Skinny Shooter

Meet Anzio Annie

[​IMG]

13. FatBoy...

FatBoy... Well-Known Member

Mach V,

I believe that picture shows why the Europeans thought the world was flat [​IMG] You can see all the way to the end of the earth there man.... and with them rifles,, you could damn near shoot there too [​IMG]

FatBoy...

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

14. ackleyguy

ackleyguy Well-Known Member

Got a 6- 284 1-8 twist,,called VOO-DOO SCIENCE....
    A all black .270 Ackley call BLACK MAGIC(what else?!!)
    and a 338 Ultra....called AT&T...long distance....its the next best thing to being there!!

[ 02-15-2003: Message edited by: ACKLEYGUY ]