Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
Well, I am not trying to convince anyone that my approach is better or that people should even try it. And, its not my original idea. So, I am not trying to defend it. I do think this is an interesting conversation, however, and I welcome your comments. Here is a question to ponder... If I always cant my rifle 5 degrees to the right (call that my natural shooting position because of the way the rifle fits my body) and sight it in from that consistent position, won't I hit the target? The bore is a tube and even if I were to align a scope with the rifle at any angle it would hit the target if it was sighted in from that position and fired at that angle. I don't see that having the rifle level is necessary... what is necessary is that the angle it is sighted in at is consistent. Level is a convenient benchmark to use because you can be sure the rifle is at the same angle each time it is fired... I don't have anything that tells me that I am at the same consistent angle when I shoot and for many people, that would be a disadvantage... but I practice at the range all the time and just like any athlete who develops muscle memory, my position becomes consistent and so are the groups I fire. Just ask the mounts that cover the walls on my 40 foot trophy room downstairs what they think... there not talking. LOL

Silverdoctor, I think the difference here is , distance and you may not be turning turrets. When we dial up our turrets for a long range shot, all needs to be level because we just left our sight in zero position. If that turret or reticle is on a canted path you will miss point of aim and the farther it is elevated the farther the miss.

Jeff

That is a good point. The further the distance to the target, the more critical it is to have a consistent aiming point... especially when you are adjusting for wind and other factors. Having that level as a benchmark makes that job a lot easier. I started on a rifle team when I was 11 years old and competed through college. Since then, I have spent my time hunting deer, elk, etc. I seldom have to take a shot beyond 400 yards and most of the time I am shooting between 250 and 300. I practice regularly at 300 with my rifle sighted dead at 200... for me the key is practice and being consistent. I am sure if I was firing at 1000 yards I would probably use a level. Thank you for your comment.

I use the Holland scope levels, mounted on the tube.

My challenge is to figure a better way to make sure the level is level... and to make sure the rifle and scope and level are all plumbed. So far, I haven't found a foolproof method other than laborious trial and error.

I use the Holland scope levels, mounted on the tube.

My challenge is to figure a better way to make sure the level is level... and to make sure the rifle and scope and level are all plumbed. So far, I haven't found a foolproof method other than laborious trial and error.

G&L
See my post on page 8 of this thread. I found a great way to get the whole system leveled together. I think this is what you are referring to.

G&L
See my post on page 8 of this thread. I found a great way to get the whole system leveled together. I think this is what you are referring to.

Saw that, thanks. That is the method I use, but I find the rifle doesn't stay rock solid level on the bipod when I peer through it to level the crosshairs, and then the crosshairs move a minute amount as I'm tightening them.

What I need is a rifle vise to level the rifle in, so that my leaning on it won't throw it off. And then I need the sharpie line to be far enough out so that parallax isn't an issue.

Ok so I'll admit that compared to you guys I'm a sure 'nough rookie!!! Ha ha,,,no really I am...I've been shooting and hunting and a police officer for 20+ yrs,,,I like to shoot long range and have been for several yrs,,,Now my long range & you guys is some different,,,long range to me is 400 yds +...I've killed several deer at 450-475 yds ranges,,,but when I saw this poll on scope levels,,well it just made sense to me even though I've never heard of it before...so I just ordered one for my 7mmRemMag....So I write all this to tell you guys ,,,,,thanks....

I secure my rifles in a craddle and level the rifle before mounting bases, rings, and scopes. For most shooting situations the ACI and Anti-Cant Level aren't required.
However when hunting and shooting at steep angles and across ridges at long distances, its critical to have those items at your disposal. In the forum there is an article by Darrell Holland (Sgt-USMC-SEMPER FIDELIS) that explains perpendicularity adjustments of your rifle scope. It's an excellent topic that relates to cant.

Gonzo
Sgt of Marines (Ret.)
Disabled Veteran

Dear Sgt Gonzo,
Thank You Sir for your service!! I as a Retired Police Lieutenant (Disabled) understand what it means for someone to sincerely Thank You!!!!!

Mr. Sackett,

I served as a patrolmen for 4 years after getting out of the Marine Corps. Went on to get an Engineering Degree and moved into construction management etc.
Thank you and likewise to become a Lt in law enforcement takes tremendous effort.

My gunsmith's primary customers are FBI, Customs and several regional agencies.

Gonzo

I put a Flatline on one of my rifles and for a while I always checked it just before a shot, and its always level. Unless im in a really odd ball shooting position I don't use it.

You need a choice of No, I can shoot long distance just fine without one.

there are a ton of thousand yard + shots made never using a level. That said I also don't twist turrets, I use Mil-Dots or ballistic reticles because I find them far faster. If I were a turret twister I would use a level for sure.

Last edited:
How many mil dots does your scope have? The last time I checked, it took about 25 minutes or 10 mil dots for 1000 yards. 1000 yard bench shooters most all have a flat stock that sits on a leveled base and I don't know any of them that would shoot without knowing their gun is level. Most shooters will argue the first time they shoot with a level that the scope is canted but it is the shooter and not the scope . 1 degree of cant is 3 inches at 1000 yards and a new level user will notice an immediate improvement in horizontal spread . For about $20.00 , I'll take the chance that it will improve my shooting!!:)

I went for years never using one and like many have stated, did fine hitting long rang targets. Started using one a while back and was amazed at the difference in improved lateral group size and much more precise hits on game at extend ranges. While it can't be proven, I think I may have attributed too much lateral spread to wind. When I first put the level on my rifle I set my sights on target in what I believed to be perfectly level, then eyed my level to check. Not as much with target shooting, but in hunting positions, I was surprised at the high percentage of times that the rifle was canted. I now have them on all my LR rigs. I like the Holland and Flatline products.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.