Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
Been working on this for a while and if my math is correct, 1 degree of cant is equal to 3.3 inches at 1000 yards. This is for a 7 MM at 3000 fps high BC bullet. It is determined by the height of the arc of the bullet. I'm dialing 22 MOA . Am working on canting the scope to the left 3 degrees to eliminate spin drift from the wind dope equation . I cant the scope 3 degrees to the left and put the scope level at 0 or level. The goal is to shoot a ladder test at 100 yards and be dead on at 100 yards and be 1 inch (MOA) left when turned up to 1000 yards. This results in being much more accurate when doping light winds . The same wind value can now be held for the same wind speed in both left and right winds.

No... I don't use a level because I have set my scope to the natural alignment of my body on the rifle. I have found over the years that when I mount the scope, I can adjust it based on how I hold the rifle rather than off of a stationary level bench. When I shoot it in the field, it naturally comes to perpendicular based on my own body position and is comfortable... I don't have to worry about it being canted one way or the other.

Topgunner I just got back from the city,with a scope level. Crosshair Leveling Kit. www.wheelerengineering.com and I put it on my Ruger Target 25-06 to see if my scopes horizontal plane is level with a horizontal plane on the rifles receiver. I found it is not,I believe if this is not true the scope adjustments vertical and horizontal will not produce the best results at long range shooting. At 27 bucks my ladder test should be better than now. I see what happpens when I get to the range.gun)

I use a level to mount my scopes.After the mounting i do not use one.I shoot bench out to 600 yards now and i have not had a issue yet. I do want to get one,but other more important things are calling first.

I secure my rifles in a craddle and level the rifle before mounting bases, rings, and scopes. For most shooting situations the ACI and Anti-Cant Level aren't required.
However when hunting and shooting at steep angles and across ridges at long distances, its critical to have those items at your disposal. In the forum there is an article by Darrell Holland (Sgt-USMC-SEMPER FIDELIS) that explains perpendicularity adjustments of your rifle scope. It's an excellent topic that relates to cant.

Gonzo
Sgt of Marines (Ret.)
Disabled Veteran

Attachments

• 300 win mag 2.jpg
    300 win mag 2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 300 win mag 3.jpg
    300 win mag 3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 20
For some to say that scope levels are a "Gimick" is just very ignorant. We're talking about the laws of physics here, they exist whether we want to believe they do or not. If you have significant cant at significant distance you're going to have big problems after you pull the trigger. I remember years ago when I first got into long range hunting I installed a fold up level on top of my scope. One day while waiting out an elk across a canyon I decided to check my equalibriam against my scope level. I was set up prone on a sloped, closed off road looking across the canyon. I got behind the gun and adjusted the bipod legs to set the rifle up to where I felt was level. I folded up my scope level and was amazed at how far off I was, without a doubt at 1000 yards that shot would be a total miss based off of what I thought was level.

I don't think they are a gimmick, but think about this. If you place you rifle on a level bench and then make the scope level, it will be perpendicular to a flat level base. If you are at a range and you use a level to make sure you have zero cant, it will be aligned perfectly. But, will you be in a natural shooting position? Maybe at the range, but not hunting. That is why I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position. If I don't, I will have to move my body to an unnatural position to square it up. Off a bench it won't matter much, but try it when you are shooting at a mule deer in the hill country or mountains and you are sitting on anything but a level surface. Then you may have to hold your body in an awkward position to square it up and not make as effective shot. I want to fit the rifle to my body and not my body to the rifle.

I don't think they are a gimmick, but think about this. If you place you rifle on a level bench and then make the scope level, it will be perpendicular to a flat level base. If you are at a range and you use a level to make sure you have zero cant, it will be aligned perfectly. But, will you be in a natural shooting position? Maybe at the range, but not hunting. That is why I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position. If I don't, I will have to move my body to an unnatural position to square it up. Off a bench it won't matter much, but try it when you are shooting at a mule deer in the hill country or mountains and you are sitting on anything but a level surface. Then you may have to hold your body in an awkward position to square it up and not make as effective shot. I want to fit the rifle to my body and not my body to the rifle.

Sorry if I have misunderstood you but you said, "I level my scope when I am in my natural shooting position?" Does this mean that when in your natural shooting position that the gun itself is always perfectly level? If one initially mounts the scope level to an unlevel firearm won't you still have the same effect as cant anyway? I believe the idea is to keep the entire rifle/scope system leveled as a unit so that the scope is always perfectly aligned over the bore center line when setting up for a shot in the field using a scope leveler. This is why when mounting scopes I like to put the firearm on a bipod and level the gun off of the ring bases. Next I set the scope in the rings and view through the scope at a truly level sharpie line on freezer paper at 10 yards and line up the vertical crosshair with that level line. Now I know that the scope reticle is truly leveled to the firearm, only then will I mount the scope leveler to the rifle/scope combo that is sitting in a completely level position as a complete unit.

I see your point. I think if your rifle is level and the scope is level your shot will be true as long as you level the rifle before you pull the trigger... no cant. I think most people set their scope to level while the rifle is on a bench that is level. I don't... I sit on the ground with a bipod on my rifle in the position I feel very comfortable shooting. Then, with the rifle at my shoulder in my natural shooting position (for hunting), I rotate the scope in the rings until cross hairs are on a target that is level and has perpendicular lines on it (I use a plumb to set the vertical line). I believe that I won't have a tendency to cant the rifle now because I am in a natural comfortable position and from that position my rifle is set on target. I am fitting the sight of the rifle to me instead of adjusting my body during a shot to make sure the rifle is square and level. This isn't my original idea. I learned this from a gunsmith who ran a local sporting goods store in our area. He regularly shot varmints at very long range and had a wall full of recognition for his talents. He was the first person to show me this technique and I have to say, it has served me well. Thanks for your reply...

Howde first of all there is no natural shooting position,you adapt the human to the tool. The sights are alined both horizontal and vertical to the axis of the bore,you will never be accurate if this is not true. Why make a straight bullet only to shoot it off target.

Howde first of all there is no natural shooting position,you adapt the human to the tool. The sights are alined both horizontal and vertical to the axis of the bore,you will never be accurate if this is not true. Why make a straight bullet only to shoot it off target.

+1, very well said tombstone

I don't think silverdoctor will have anybody agreeing with him from long range hunting's long range shooters. I'm already surprised
he believes what he says.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.