Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
Wouldn't the error at 1000 yards be greater the higher the scope is above the boreline?

Standard factory loads, 200 yds is 0. beyond that is minus. so it's obvious that
scope adjustment up past bore line is subject to error.

As is every time the trigger is pulled. That's where the fun begins.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

There are few manditory obligations within this sport. Use of a level isn't one of them. Choices are beautiful things, you can either do them or not.

There are few manditory obligations within this sport. Use of a level isn't one of them. Choices are beautiful things, you can either do them or not.

This depends on your method of shooting and what is considered long range. If a shooter is dialing up turrets to correct for drop and shots are past 600 yards it almost becomes manditory at this point. Sure a shooter can go by what looks square in the scope, but I have seen this method of guessing be way off in an unlevel situation. But, I guess you are correct, it is still a choice.

Jeff

This depends on your method of shooting and what is considered long range. If a shooter is dialing up turrets to correct for drop and shots are past 600 yards it almost becomes manditory at this point. Sure a shooter can go by what looks square in the scope, but I have seen this method of guessing be way off in an unlevel situation. But, I guess you are correct, it is still a choice.

Jeff

Thank you! We are still a nation of choices.

However you won't see a bow or rifle of mine not equiped with a level.
(The only bows I own without a level are my stick bows.)

Those are my choices. Shooting a bow any distance beyond 30 yards
is asking for an arrow off center. Even a slight cant of the bow rignt or left
will be an arrow off the spot. I learned quickly that while wearing a shooting
vest and light jacked that the rifle stock tended to settle on a cant more than
straight up and down. A $10 dollar rail mounted level solved that problem
real quick.

I imagine that if you use a rifle scope there may have been two or three
levels involved in the installation alone.

Practice, Practicd, Practice.

Thank you! We are still a nation of choices.

However you won't see a bow or rifle of mine not equiped with a level.
(The only bows I own without a level are my stick bows.)

Those are my choices. Shooting a bow any distance beyond 30 yards
is asking for an arrow off center. Even a slight cant of the bow rignt or left
will be an arrow off the spot. I learned quickly that while wearing a shooting
vest and light jacked that the rifle stock tended to settle on a cant more than
straight up and down. A $10 dollar rail mounted level solved that problem
real quick.

I imagine that if you use a rifle scope there may have been two or three
levels involved in the installation alone.

Practice, Practicd, Practice.

1 Hunter, I misunderstood your first post to say you didn't use a level. Sorry my mistake. We are in complete agreeance.

Thanks
Jeff

SPAM!!!!!
banhim.jpg

Re: how do you do

how do you do?

Leviawan,

I try to do the very best, I am capable of, for any given day.
Some days are better than others. Those days take a little
extra effort and it is almost always worth the effort.

What ever you do remember to Practice, Practice and Practice.

I'm out in the flats here in ND and I can see the horizon, so I don't see the need for another thing slowing me down behind the trigger. If I were pitching lead in the mountains, I'd think about it, but on the flats, shooting offhand, it's simply a nuisance.

I'm out in the flats here in ND and I can see the horizon, so I don't see the need for another thing slowing me down behind the trigger. If I were pitching lead in the mountains, I'd think about it, but on the flats, shooting offhand, it's simply a nuisance.

I can't think of a better place to be using a level. Out on the flats where you can see a 1000 yards and better in most directions. In the mountians your lucky to see a 1000 yds for the trees and the terrain.
A 10" x 18" Target get's to be pretty small at that distance. By the time you compute the distance, windage,bullet drop and spin, adjusted for mirage and
a check to see the shot is flat. A 2 second check of a level bubble to make sure your not canting the rifle a degree or two. Which if, you just happen
to be a couple of degrees cant.

You have missed the target.

Been there, done that.

jost got one and just shot my best 500yd group with my 300rum. 230 grain berger otm over retumbo went into 1.5". First round hits were the norm saturday. I will be getting 2 more for my 6.5x.284 and lr 22-250

I think Palma shooters at 1000 yards use open sights don't they? They typically use lower bc lighter bullets for the challenge of the wind too. All this seems kind of odd but they really learn how to shoot which includes squaring the rifle to the the target and reading the wind. I'm not yet sold on extra gear, but maybe down the road.

I think Palma shooters at 1000 yards use open sights don't they? They typically use lower bc lighter bullets for the challenge of the wind too. All this seems kind of odd but they really learn how to shoot which includes squaring the rifle to the the target and reading the wind. I'm not yet sold on extra gear, but maybe down the road.

Each of the shooting disciplines has it's own set of match rules. You can find
equipment lists on the internet. Some of the front sights have lens and
incorporate a level as well.

Some rifle buts are adjustable. If your comfort zone is to shoot the rifle
with a cant to it, you can adjust the but for comfort and still maintain
a verticle line with the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.