Do you hunt coyotes?

Do you hunt coyotes?

• YES

Votes: 1,658 83.7%
  • NO

Votes: 322 16.3%

• Total voters
I've attempted it a time or two. Never had any luck though. I wish I knew someone who does it and was good at it. Tough starting from scratch.

Has been a passion for me for over 20 years.

I've been lucky enough to win some competitions.

Also been lucky enough to get 6 in a day a couple of times, 5 in a day a few times, and 4 in a day a few other times.

SBruce, coyotes/won a few competitions? I'm not familar...are there coyote hunting competitions..if so how does that work?

SBruce

I get out to your neck of the woods pretty often these days. Maybe we can hook up for some coyote calling some time.

Len Backus
Publisher

CHAS1

There are alot of coyote calling/hunting competitions during the late fall and winter in alot of western states. However, these competitions are rarely advertised. They are usually a "jackpot" type of event (some award trophies too); where each two man team pays an entry fee (usually $100-$150 per man) and the majority of entry fees are paid back to the contestants. Some even have calcutta auctions, where teams can be "purchased" and additional money goes toward this. Most pay at least the top 3 teams, if there are enough teams, they may pay 10 or 12 places. Basically, the team with the most coyotes turned in at the check in time is the winner. Usually the combined weight of the coyotes determines the winner of a tie. Sometimes, the team that checked in first determines winner of a tie.

A person could probably go to 3 or 4 a month if they wanted to travel the "circuit".

They are usually a one or two day event. Some allow night hunting and some are daylight hunting only.

Generally held on weekends after the big game season in the vicinity is over.

Generally there is a Pre-Hunt Banquet where the rules of the contest are discussed. If there's a calcutta, this is when the teams are auctioned and bought. A team can usually buy themselves.

Different rules for different contests; but usually, blocks of wood with a number (1-10) are given to each team before the hunt begins. The hunters must put their names and the time of kill on the appropriate block and it is then zip tied into the coyotes mouth.

Judges will usually be present at check in to inspect the coyotes, weigh them, take a deep muscle or core temperature, and ensure that all coyotes turned in were indeed shot from ground level (no arial hunting allowed) They will also inspect for signs of poisoning, trapping, snaring or road kill damage. The core temp is used in conjuction with the wood blocks and other signs to ensure that all coyotes were indeed taken by that team during the contest hours and not before.

Other rules generally are No Dogs and No Snomobiles.
Sometimes, PUBLIC LAND ONLY hunting is allowed, this prevents someone from leasing a particular ranch or group of ranches a year in advance for the sole purpose of these contests. Also less likely to be "baiting" ahead of time this way. In other words, most of these contests are designed to be true calling and hunting contests. Any team found to be cheating is usually disqualified and never allowed into that particular contest again, but word travels fast and they probably wouldn't be allowed into any contest in that State again either.

Smaller hunts (fewer teams) are usually better in this way because there is not enough money in the pot for most people to even consider using dishonest methods of winning.

Awards Banquet and Dinner usually follow the check in process. A portion of the teams entry fees go toward funding this and paying the judges.

There may be some of these contests being held in your area, but again they are very rarely advertised.

I've been in 8 of these contests. Won 1st place in two, 3rd place in three, and nothing in three. Sometimes you find the dogs, they come in good and you shoot good............sometimes you just plain "get skunked" doing the same things that "won" only a month prior.............a little good luck goes a long ways at these events. Don't get discouraged, stay after it and remember that the coyote is the best teacher......it takes alot of humbling lessons to get very good at anything, coyote hunting is no different.

Last edited:
SBruce

I get out to your neck of the woods pretty often these days. Maybe we can hook up for some coyote calling some time.

Len Backus
Publisher

Sure Len, just send me a PM or E-Mail before you come out and I'll give you my phone #. My primary job has me "on call" all the time, so I never know if I'll be around for sure. We can sure give it a shot though.

SBruce, Thank you for responding and in such detail...I appreciate that. Had never heard about yote contests. Pretty interesting, sounds like fun and sounds like they have all the bases covered to keep folks honest. Congratulations on 1st Place.:)

Wasgas, congrats. 35' how you get that close?

Called him into me, he came running in and got into about 20' then he turned as he spotted my dog and ran, by the time I fired he was approximately 35'. I had been sitting in the shade and he had the sun in his eyes as he approached.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.