Do you hunt coyotes?

Do you hunt coyotes?

• YES

Votes: 1,658 83.7%
  • NO

Votes: 322 16.3%

• Total voters
Would trapping them count? If so, yup!!

Use to plant watermelons on the powerlines to bait them in. But it seems some local found out that there were just hundreds of watermelons growing out there and someone picked every single melon!! Coyotes don't leave about a size 11 footprint.....

The coyotes here have been called before and they do not respond to mouth calls, electronic calling, or skinned beavers hanging in trees at this location. The melons worked until stolen, and haven't been planted since.

Scott

I have not hunted coyotes, but, I would if I were hunting, and but not choosing to shoot a coyote over a game animal already steaked out (pun intended) LOL :D

Do you hunt coyotes?

No, I don't know any good recipes for coyote.

If a particular species of animal has no place on my dinner table then it has no place in my gun sights or cross hairs.

The only exceptions are nuisance animals like the odd persistent skunk that rips open my garbage bags and stinks up the place.

My pet Rotty actually kills more skunks than I do. One chomp from those massive jaws and a shake and the skunks back is broken.....spray or no spray they all wind up buried in the back yard. Good thing his memory is short & he doesn't go back & dig them up again.

Ain't no coyote going to hang around my place with that moose with a 30 pound head full of long, sharp teeth on the property.

Last edited:
I live on my 300 acre farm so I'm always carry one of my several rifles or pistols while feeding my cattle. I'll bust a coyote every now and then plus I go out calling during the spring, fall and winter. I reload so I'll hunt with several rifles at times, one of my Rem. BDL .270's, Rem.SPS .243, Savage .243, Marlin XS7 .243, T/C Encore 25-06, T/C Encore 7mm08, Rem. Model Seven 7mm08, Rem. .22 mag rifle, plus 4 other Rem. 700 .270's I have. Since I reload I like to take them shoot some reloads at the coyotes to see if they perform as well on critters as they do on targets:D I will also carry either my Springfield 1911 A1 .45 w/5" barrel or Ruger Blackhawk Single-Six w/7" barrel and bust a few if I can get them up close! LOL I have a ton of coyotes here on my place in Oklahoma!

I don't consider coyotes to be varmints, but varmint hunters, just like me.
I respect them, they seem to respect me. And they later take gain in the dead woodchucks I drop into fence lines.

I see them once in a while when I hunt. They know I'm there. Apparently they know I don't shoot them. Nor do I shoot turkey, deer, bear, bodcat, raccoons, or fox, etc, when I'm woodchuck hunting.

Mikecr, I respect your choice not to shoot them but on my place and this area are so many that they have attacked some of my calves and killed many over the years. I had 35 Chickens several yrs ago and once they got a taste they wiped them out in a matter of 2 weeks so I shot at and killed every Coyote that can close to my house. I respect them as well and don't shoot everyone I see. Example: If I'm sitting in one of my deer stands or Turkey hunting most times I will let them pass but they are very hard of the deer and Turkey population we the Coyote population get too high. Coyote's are a very smart creature, when you thin there pack real low the females will have more pups in there litters. If the pack is over populated the females will have less pups in here litter or not come into heat. I will shoot them every chance I get though but not every time because I really like to see them running around. They will be around long after we are gone, they are survivors.

Yeah, I agree that where they are a problem they should be controlled.
Their breeding adjustment sounds alot like squirrels. If then you shoot too many, too fast, they'll come back in far worse numbers...

Yes I do. It is great long range shooting practice and I don't have to travel very for to find them. The high desert sagebrush lava flows make a great set up.

tx GreatRiftHunter

Every day--weather permitting from late December thru March. Methods I use are spot and stalk on bright sunny days w/little wind and calling usually early and late. I employ a 220 Swift/Shilen for spot and stalk, .17 Predator/Shilen for calling. 50 V-max in the Swift over 4064. 30 Nagels over vvn540 in the Predator. Total since December, 22 with one 40# male last week. I use 15x70 Astronomer binocs for spotting along with a 15-45 spotting scope.

been out about a dozen time this winter, the dogs are getting smart. still managed to get 1 last time out. It was already on the move at 280yds as I came over a ridge, to set up, stopped her with a couple of barksgun). 40 gr bergers in the 204ruger do the job.

Little lever action coyote gun

Have a 16" bbl. M92 lever action in .357 Magnum that would be a perfect little gun for coyote, wolves, deer or black bear. It weighs in at just 4.8 pounds. Can carry it all day & not even notice it.

Purists wouldn't call what I do hunting them. I ride around the local farms where I have permission to shoot and look for them in the fields while the farmers are planting rice. Usually do it for a couple hours after work every day in the late spring. Obviously I pay attention to where all tractors, houses and people are and am VERY judicious with my shots taken. The activity in the fields keeps them stirred up pretty well that time of year. I like hunting the fields around here, the size of the fields makes it easy to judge distance. average square or rectangular fields are 40 -80 acres and therefore it is 440 yards directly to the other side, big fields are 120-160 therfore its usually a half mile across them. I keep a calculator in my center console and do a little quick geometry and can get fairly close when shooting at an angle across the fields. Limit my shots depending on what i am shooting. Best shot on one was 135 yards with a .22 pistol, and longest with a rifle was under 300 yards. They just always seem to be pretty close when I get a shot. I did witness a half mile or better shot once as a child by my dad with a .338 win mag he had in the truck on a september afternoon a few weeks before he was to go on an elk hunt. Crazy thing about that was he was shooting off the interstate! I thought we were both going to jail, but noone even paid attention to him. My how times have changed. These days we may wind up in gitmo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts