Do you hunt coyotes?

Do you hunt coyotes?

• YES

Votes: 1,658 83.7%
  • NO

Votes: 322 16.3%

• Total voters
Matter of fact, just got in from sitting a quick stand this morning. No luck, but that's why they call it hunting. Maybe tomorrow I'll connect with one gun)

I hunt them and trap them. Over the years I have taken a lot of them. Something to do in the dead of winter.

I have been hunting my rear end off for them here in WI. No luck - but we have had that discussion before.

I am going to AZ the third week in Feb. I hope to connect with some there.

I've been hunting public land north of Milwaukee with no luck. Found out the dog runners have cleaned out the area. The last 3 places I found tracks I saw trucks with cb's and dog cages and my scouting has come up with no tracks in these areas.
So I went 'up north' and hunted with my buddy and into the seventh stand got a female about 30 lbs. She was showing the late season with some rubbing.
Got her about 100-110 yds, one shot with my MOA in 6.5x284. DRT with a 100g Nosler through the chest with no fur damage- didn't hit any bones though.
Here she is, well at least her hide.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/yotefever/Coyotes/Marchcoyotehunt09008.jpg

Here is the equipment
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/yotefever/Coyotes/Marchcoyotehunt09016.jpg

We howled and then did challenge howls to each other and she got caught sneaking out from behind some pine trees on a small ridge. I think she was looking at the decoy when I first spotted her.
She is in the upper right, just right of the big pine tree near the top of the ridge.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/yotefever/Coyotes/Marchcoyotehunt09004.jpg

I try to make it out every chance i get. I leave em alone in the spring and summer though. The contests around here start after elk season so the timing is perfect for me.

Love to hunt the yotes....................in my eyes they are one of the hardest animals to hunt successfully all the time. But when you do it all right, its really hard to beat that feeling of success, especially with the calling techniques:rolleyes:

I have had my best success hunting coyotes in the Dakotas but would luv to get the chance to hunt them in Montana or Wyoming if the opportunity arises. I have also hunted them in Missouri which is a blast too :D

Coyote2006.jpg

CoyoteFall2005.jpg

You need to use the icon with the picture of the mountain scene to get the images to display, nice going!

Last edited by a moderator:
long range doggr, tell me about your screen name, describe your hunting technique that led to the name.

long range doggr, tell me about your screen name, describe your hunting technique that led to the name.

Nothing really that special to tell.But it got started on a lucky shot i took on a yote when i was sixteen(many moons ago).

My dad was a ranch manager for a big outfit in northern nevada.As most know during calving season seeing coyotes around the herd is verry disturbing.Me my dad and another ranch hand were checking cattle from the pick up when we spotted a couple to close to the heifers.

We bailed out of the truck.My dad had a 222 and i had his 25.06.Dad dropped the first one.And i got the second one with a long shot on the run.Deffinatly the luckiest shot i've ever made.

To this day we still have no idea how far it was.But a few of my dads freinds started kiddin me about the "long range"thing and i guess it kinda stuck.

(Quote)

You need to use the icon with the picture of the mountain scene to get the images to display, nice going!

(Quote)

Thanks Len for the technical assistance on posting those two pics. I was kinda struggling with them to make it attach to the thread lightbulb:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.