22-250 Dimension loads-Results-#2

My third shooting results:
22-250 Dimension loads-Results-#3

My 'Do-Over' shooting results:
22-250 Dimension loads-Results-Do-Overs

My Final 5-shot shooting results:
22-250 Dimension loads-Results-5 Shots x 6 Recipes

Background:

I just got a Thompson Center Dimension rifle with a 22-250 barrel. It has a 22' barrel, with a 1-12 twist.
I'm new to this caliber...I'm looking for some load recipes to get me started.
Woodchucks and coyotes will be my main varmints. I'm guessing the longest shot with be 300 yards, more or less.
My Dimension has an Athlon 4.5-30x56 FFP mounted on it.
Hopefully someone has a 'pet' recipe they'd like to share.
I'll try to report back to those that do share their 'pets' with some target pics of how their formula worked for me.
Thanks to all you guys out there.

PS..."CatShooter" recently informed me of another 22-250 load thread I wasn't aware of that has some promising recipes posted there. There's no need for 2 threads, so I tried to delete mine...there's no delete button, so I'll list the thread I duplicated below (sorry cquist):

22-250 Load Suggestions

Last edited:
My Tikka 22-250 has touching groups with shooting a factory Hornady 55grain spire point. I really like the brass so I would start there then play with a few different loads and minor upgrades

The neat thing about that 1:12" barrel is that it should stabilize the high-BC Hornady 53 grain V-Max. Last load I tried - with Reloader 17, a combo I believe I learned of from this site - shot cloverleafs out of my Savage. Great bullet; the lethality on coyotes and groundhogs, plus the extra bit of flatness at longer ranges make it the only reason I still keep a .22-250 around.

I don't have a lot of Reloader powder, but I do have #17...want's the amount you use?
That slower-burning RL-17 was kind of a surprise. I settled on 38.6 grains (Federal .210 primers, 2.440 OAL). Don't remember checking f.p.s. there, but when I tried a load once at .2 grain more, I'm thinking it was around 3900 w/26" barrel, but was opening up.
Benchmark also looked promising @ 37.5 gr., but I didn't go any farther.

Always try IMR4064 in 22-250's its a killer in mine. Start at 34gr and work up toward high barrel node, mine tightened up at 36 and stayed tight to 36.3 50gr V-maxes are deadly. Good velocity as well. Good Shooting

Last edited:
That slower-burning RL-17 was kind of a surprise. I settled on 38.6 grains (Federal .210 primers, 2.440 OAL). Don't remember checking f.p.s. there, but when I tried a load once at .2 grain more, I'm thinking it was around 3900 w/26" barrel, but was opening up.
Benchmark also looked promising @ 37.5 gr., but I didn't go any farther.
HI,

Check out how your RL17 worked...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.