22-250 Dimension loads-Results-Do-Overs

dwinmeade

As I promised, I would show you fellows my shooting targets using the formulas that you shared with me.

In this shooting, I'm retesting 6 recipes, with 3 shots each. These showed enough promise to do a re-shoot, hoping to eliminate the human factor.

Note...target-#2 was where I reloaded 3 rounds in error...shot them anyway...blah grouping.

Note...marked bullet hole at 2 o'clock on target-#6 was a POI shot.

20200505_183426.jpg

20200505_183451.jpg

Legend:
"Owner"...if marked "?"...I didn't record where I found it or the owner of the formula.

Powders:
Four powders are standing out...H380, Varget, IMR4064, RL-17.

Bullets:
Three bullets are standing out...52g-SHPBT, 50g-NBTip, 53g-HHP.

Bullets Legend:
50g-NBTip...Nosler Ballistic Tips...#39522.
52g-SHPBT...Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail...#1410.
53g-HHP-Hornady Hollow Points...#2250
55g-ST...Nosler Silver Tips...#51031.
55g-Vmax...Hornady V-MAX...#22271.

Commentaries:
I shot 2 shot rounds (6 shots total) and then I let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes.
I was shooting off a Caldwell bipod and a sand bag (butt end).
All were 100 yard shots.

Targets-1/2...Reemty J's...first shot of the day I pulled. The next 2 shots puts this recipe in the next shoot...FINAL!

Targets-2...mistake with recipe...blah grouping.

Targets-3...lewwetzel's...only RL17 load...the only 4-shot group...a 2 shot, 1-hole...puts this recipe in the next shoot...FINAL!

Targets-4...KPB71's...third shot was dead center...this might have potential with a different bullet or up/down the powder charge...OUT!...but...Pondering!

Targets-5...099wally...this might have potential with a different bullet or up/down the powder charge...OUT!...but...Pondering!

Targets-6...Labwhisper...the only CFE223 powdered group...nice three shot cluster...plus...has one of the most consistent groupings overall...this puts this recipe in the next shoot...FINAL!

Targets-7...?-Again-5...don't remember where this came from...shot a 2-hole .1000 group last time...didn't repeat...OUT!

Next shootings: (the link will apper on the page listed below...)

This shooting will be 5-shot groups....the best 3 groups will final with a 10-shot group.
1...B. Hodgdon
2...Christ 7mag
3...just_jon
4...Reemty J
5...lewwetzel
6...Labwhisper

Link back to the Master 22-250 Loads thread...
Dimension 22-250 Loads:

Last edited:
All I've done is to gleen some successful recipes from other 22-250 uses and to see if they work in my rifle. Sifting out the better ones for my rifle is slow work. I'm hindered with my shooting ability by my age (69 in June)...in my younger days I'd probably have this figured out in 1-2 shootings (better shooter back then).

In the Final 6 recipes are 2-H380, 2-Varget, 1-RL17, and a CFE223. Two bullets stand out...(1) Sierra 52g Hollow Point Boat Tail and (2) Nosler 50g Ballistic Tip...both with 2 recipes.

After the Final 5-shot per recipe shooting comes the 10-shot shooting from the top three of the the 5-shot groups. At this point I haven't changed the powder settings and have kept the same bullet grain per recipe (the bullet brand might be different depending on what I had on hand).

If none of these recipes gives me a 1/4" group, then I'll pick one of best recipes and start scaling up/down the powder charge to tighten things up to a 1/4".

My goal is to zap woodchucks at 500 yards and 1/4" at 100 yards should do that.

Plus...if what I'm going through in this load development helps anybody with their rifle...it's a double bonus for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.