22-250 Dimension loads-Results-#1

dwinmeade

As I promised, I would show you fellows my shooting targets using the formulas that you shared with me. Here is my first picture of shooting 16 3-shot rounds, along with a tabulation of the results.

20200426_093824.jpg

20200426_113506.jpg

Legend:
"Owner"...if marked "?"...I didn't record where I found it or the owner of the formula.

"BINGOs"...are under .2000" groups, most definitively worthy of a 'do-over'.
"AGAINs"...are +/- .2500", worthy of a 'do-over'...most have a 'flyer' because of me.

Correction on Target-#1...used "50g-NBTip", not "50g-ST".

Bullets:
50g-NBTip...Nosler Ballistic Tips...#39522.
52g-SHPBT...Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail...#1410.
53g-HHP-Hornady Hollow Points...#2250
55g-ST...Nosler Silver Tips...#51031.
55g-Vmax...Hornady V-MAX...#22271.

Commentaries:
I shot 3 shot rounds (9 shots total) and then I let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes.
I was shooting off a Caldwell bipod and a sand bag (butt end).
All were 100 yard shots.

Target-#2...just barely close enough for a 'do-over'...2590"...(something like a wild card position in the 'play-offs').

(RL17...who would have guessed...'lewwetzel' did!
Target-#5...the flyer was my futile attempt for 3-shot, a single hole group (choked)...#2 group of the day!

(Varget rounds...all POIs were almost a perfect, center hole shots.)
Target-#6...the flyer was my futile attempt for 3-shot, a single hole group (choked).
Target-#7...first shot was high, next 2 almost touched...on hold...too many others needing a 'do-over' first.
Target-#8...single hole was my first & third shot. (Why do I seem to choke 1 out of 3 shots?)

(H380 rounds...the go-to 22-250 powder, I'm told.)
Target-#9...aww crap...Bruce Hodgdon's original 22-250 H380 formula hates my Dimension. (Hint...it was all me...see #9a.)
Target-#9a...redeemed myself...#1 group of the day, edging out RL17 by a 'nose'.
Target-#12...when 2 out 3 shots are under .2500"...worthy of a 'Do-Over'.
Target-#13...2 shots touching...#3 group of the day!
Target-#14...target shows 1 hole...I found one shot below the target...I couldn't find the third shot...I looked at the target hole under a magnifying glass, looks like 1 hole. Because I can't conclude what's what...it's worthy of a 'do-over'.

Conclusion:
I'm a on-call trucker who hauls food products at any time, weekdays or weekends.
The follow-up shooting listed below could take from 1-4 weeks depending on my work schedule and the weather.

My next shooting will be for groups, shooting 3-shot groups, three times to get an average (9 shots total)...for each formula tested...
"BINGO"...numbers 1-3 first...followed by "AGAIN" numbers 1-4 second.

I am hoping one formula out shines the rest...
My final shooting will be for POI, probably 1" high at 100 yards.

Link back to the Master 22-250 Loads thread...
Dimension 22-250 Loads:

Last edited:
Awesome info!

Thanks bud. I'm reloading another batch of 22-250 rounds, this time 60+ rounds. I should find the 'perfect' load for my 22-250 rifle, hopefully. And then switch out barrels and go to work on the 243. The 204 Ruger is 99% done and so is the 223 barrel. Can't wait to do the 6.5 CM and the 7mm-08 barrels too. Just takes time!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.