22-250 Dimension loads-Results-#3

dwinmeade

As I promised, I would show you fellows my shooting targets using the formulas that you shared with me. I started with a total of 23 different recipes that you all have shared.

This is the top loads from Results #1/#2, being reshot in groups of 3, 2 times. Each recipe got 6 rounds total. These 6 rounds groups were added to the initial round and the total was tabulated on the 9 rounds shot.

A total of the top 8 recipes were tested below...

20200503_112046.jpg

This is Christ 7mag 6 shots on a separate target:

20200503_130254.jpg

20200503_130845.jpg

Legend:
"Owner"...if marked "?"...I didn't record where I found it or the owner of the formula.

Powders:
Three powders are standing out...H380, Varget, IMR4064.

Bullets:
Three bullets are standing out...52g-SHPBT, 50g-NBTip, 55g-Speer.

Bullets Legend:
50g-NBTip...Nosler Ballistic Tips...#39522.
52g-SHPBT...Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail...#1410.
53g-HHP-Hornady Hollow Points...#2250
55g-ST...Nosler Silver Tips...#51031.
55g-Vmax...Hornady V-MAX...#22271.

Commentaries:
I shot 2 shot rounds (6 shots total) and then I let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes.
I was shooting off a Caldwell bipod and a sand bag (butt end).
All were 100 yard shots.

(Because I ran out of CCI-200 primers...I switched to CCI-250 magnum primers...it seems a change in primers affected some of the groups...I will shoot 6 'Do-Overs' to be fair to those 6 recipes!)

Targets-1/2...Bruce Hdgdon's...original recipe won the tightest grouping...FINAL!

Targets-3/4...066walley's...this recipe fell short with my rifle...but because of the primers...'Do-Over'.

Targets-5/6...Reemty J's...the first group merits a 'Do-Over'...the 2nd group...mystery...'Do-Over'.

Targets-7/8...lewwetzel's...RL17 load...I had high hopes...this was the 2nd best group last shooting. Would the change in primers have messed up these 2 groups??...'Do-Over'.

Targets-9/10...Labwhisper's...the only CFE223 powdered group...with 2 shots almost touching, this might have potential with a different bullet or up/down the powder charge...but because of the primers....'Do-Over'.

Targets-11/12...KPB71's...had an 'almost touhing' first two shots...but because of the primers..'Do-Over'.

Targets-13/14...just_jon's...all 9 shots were shot today...initially had the best 3-shot group (.1267")...initial group's POI was 2" low...raised my scope 8 clicks and shot 1" high...(what??)...moved it down 1" and shot 2" high...(I moved the scope the wrong way, duh.)
Note...I can live with a little vertical stringing (like just_jon's)...it's easier to control than horizonal striging...FINAL!

Targets-1/2...Christ 7mag's...I shot his recipe separately, no room on the big target...I had a 'cold bore' shot, I didn't count that in the first grouping...nice vertical stringing like just_jon's...FINAL!

Next shooting: (the link will apper on the Master page listed below...)

First...I will shoot the following 'Do-Overs' (with CCI-200 primers, as soon as I get some) to see if their groups qualify for the 5-shot shooting...top 3 with go to the...FINAL!
1...Reemty J
2...lewwetzel
3...KPB71
4...066wally
5...Labwhisper
6...?-Again-5

5-Shot FINAL!
The following 3 recipes will be in the 5-shot FINAL along with the top 3 'Do-Overs'.
1...B. Hodgdon
2...Christ 7mag
3...just_jon

Link back to the Master 22-250 Loads thread...
Dimension 22-250 Loads:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts