22-250 Dimension loads-Results-5 Shots x 6 Recipes

dwinmeade

As I promised, I would show you fellows my shooting targets using the formulas that you shared with me.

In this shooting, I'm testing the final 6 promising recipes, with 5 shots each. I am hoping that one recipe with stand out...AND...one did!

Target number 5...'lewwetzel' with his RL17 recipe of 38.6 grains pushing a 53 grain Hornady Hollow Point (#2250).

Note...
you will notice that 1 shot per target is marked off...there was a noticeable "flyer" (me most likely) on targets 1, 3, and 6. I marked them off...making them a 4-shot group instead. But to be fair to the other recipes, I marked one off on them too. So these are 5-shot groups, but only counting the best 4 shoots.

20200517_083939.jpg

20200517_081754.jpg

Legend:
"Owner"...if marked "?"...I didn't record where I found it or the owner of the formula.

Powders:
Four powders are standing out...H380, Varget, IMR4064, RL-17.

Bullets:
Three bullets are standing out...52g-SHPBT, 50g-NBTip, 53g-HHP.

Bullets Legend:
50g-NBTip...Nosler Ballistic Tips...#39522.
52g-SHPBT...Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail...#1410.
53g-HHP-Hornady Hollow Points...#2250
55g-ST...Nosler Silver Tips...#51031.
55g-Vmax...Hornady V-MAX...#22271.

Commentaries:
I shot one 5 shot round and then I let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes.
I was shooting off a Caldwell bipod and a sand bag (butt end).
All were 100 yard shots.

Targets-1...B. Hodgdon's...3rd place overall! This is Bruce's orginal H380 formula (from what I read anyway). It seemed to be a hot/cold formula for my rifle.

Targets-2...Christ 7mag...2nd place overall! 3 shots were touching, but no single holes. I initially started with 3 Varget recipes and this one seemed the best to continue with. Perhaps a grain or two up/down on this formula would single hole it (something to try at a later time)...Pondering!

Targets-3...just_jon...4th place overall! I thought I hit pay dirt with the first 3-shots with a .1267" average. I didn't hold, as the next 3 shootings had expanded groups. However, this did have the best 2-shot average for the day, .1430". Perhaps a grain or two up/down on this formula would single hole it (something to try at a later time)...Pondering!

Targets-4...Reemty J...4th place overall! If today's 4-shot group would have come anywhere near the first 3 shooting...but did'nt hold for my rifle. There's got to be a tight shooting H380 formula somewhere!

Targets-5...lewwetzel...1st place overall! I had a feeling this would be a great formla...the first shooting was a sinlge hole + a flyer (me). Now all I had to do was duplicate it. I kind of did in the 'Do-Over' shooting...of a 4-shot group, I had a 2-shot 1-holer. BUT...today's 3 shot into 1-hole sealed the deal for me!!

Targets-6...Labwhisper...5th place overall!...the only CFE223 powdered group...this formula has one of the most consistent groupings overall...just not quite tight enough...however...this had the best 3-shot cloverleaf group of the today...if only that 4th shot had dropped in!! Perhaps a grain or two up/down on this formula would single hole it (something to try at a later time)...Pondering!

Today's shooting ranks as follows:

1...lewwetzel...1993" overall.
2...Christ 7mag...2248" overall.
3...B. Hodgdon...2563" overall.
4...just_jon...2760" overall.
5...Labwhisper...2879" overall.
6...Reemty J...3137" overall.

The purpose of all these shootings was to find one formula that stood out...and...if none did...then do a 10-shot shooting...BUT...one has stood out...so...a 10-shot shooting isn't needed at this point.

So...as far as load delevoping is concerned...DONE...now on to POI shooting...already done...1" high at 100 yards... took 3 shots to verify.

Link back to the Master 22-250 Loads thread...
Dimension 22-250 Loads:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.