22-250 Dimension loads-Results-#2

dwinmeade

As I promised, I would show you fellows my shooting targets using the formulas that you shared with me.

Here is my #2 testing of 7 rounds not tested before, along with a tabulation of the results.

20200503_120135.jpg

20200503_120640.jpg

Legend:
"Owner"...if marked "?"...I didn't record where I found it or the owner of the formula.

"BINGOs"...are under .2000" groups, most definitively worthy of a 'do-over'.
"AGAINs"...are +/- .2500", worthy of a 'do-over'...most have a 'flyer' because of me.

Bullets:
50g-NBTip...Nosler Ballistic Tips...#39522.
52g-SHPBT...Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail...#1410.
53g-HHP-Hornady Hollow Points...#2250
55g-ST...Nosler Silver Tips...#51031.
55g-Vmax...Hornady V-MAX...#22271.

Commentaries:
I shot 3 shot rounds (9 shots total) and then I let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes.
I was shooting off a Caldwell bipod and a sand bag (butt end).
All were 100 yard shots.

Targets-3/4...this didn't seem to work...sorry Savage 12 BVSS.

Target-5...this was the best of all my shooting so far...thanks just_jon.

Target-6...this didn't seem to work...sorry amyjune.

Target-7...mystery...my first/third shots were on top of each other...the second was way off...probably was me...needs a 'Do-Over' to be sure.

Targets-8/9...blah!

Link back to the Master 22-250 Loads thread...
Dimension 22-250 Loads:

Last edited:
Only difference was I shoot 50gr hornady V Max bullets not ballistic tips, they didn't shoot as well when I worked up load :)

Only difference was I shoot 50gr hornady V Max bullets not ballistic tips, they didn't shoot as well when I worked up load :)

At the time, I didn't have the 50g Vmax on hand, so I used the closest 50g bullet I had. I picked up some various bullets last week and I think I did get a box of 50g Vmax (I'm currently not at home, going by my {crap-shoot} memory. If I did, I'll secretly re-shoot your load...it'll be tough to beat 'lewwetzel' s RL17 load, but who knows.

Thanks for your insight.

I see that, different rifle, primer, or bullet perhaps or who knows what. A thing to be considered is primer's, mine would only shoot true bugholes with WLR, I tried BR-2's and 210M's and lost about .100 in group size....go figure. I considered trying RL17 in mine but fear the heat cracking in throat some on the forum have talked about, goodness knows how quick the throats erode with the velocity and heat 22-250's produce. This affordable bore scope age has shown us perhaps too much of what happens in the bore's. Good test, shows a lot of good loads for the 22-250, thanks for the work and expense on your part to put it all together. One other thing....do you find the best distance off lands for max accuracy with each load or use a standard overall distance off lands for all loads tested?

I see that, different rifle, primer, or bullet perhaps or who knows what. A thing to be considered is primer's, mine would only shoot true bugholes with WLR, I tried BR-2's and 210M's and lost about .100 in group size....go figure. I considered trying RL17 in mine but fear the heat cracking in throat some on the forum have talked about, goodness knows how quick the throats erode with the velocity and heat 22-250's produce. This affordable bore scope age has shown us perhaps too much of what happens in the bore's. Good test, shows a lot of good loads for the 22-250, thanks for the work and expense on your part to put it all together. One other thing....do you find the best distance off lands for max accuracy with each load or use a standard overall distance off lands for all loads tested?

All loads were set at the standard seating depth of 2.35". I use the
RCBS Competition Seater Die- I change out the "guts" to fit the cartridge I'm seating. I seat the cartridge and then spin it 90° and seat again. (I think I picked up that tip from one of Johnny Ray's videos.)

All loads were set at the standard seating depth of 2.35".
Thank you for the response, I would then assume all primers are also one make as well. Sounds like your seating process is good. The seating depth would move my bullet so far off lands that I would expect quite a change. I understand now you were looking for the most accuracy among all the suggested loads with specs and components all equal. Then tune the best preforming load for your use.

When you see a load that pretty much always shoots in the ones suddenly change you wonder why, I now understand, thank you and again good test.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.