Different bullets for elk

Cobus28

Okay guys I hope I did this right and bare with me until I figure it out 100% I didn't really know what thread to put this under. Anyways I am kind of confused on my bullet choice for my 7mm rem mag. between the 168 gr nosler accubond long range and the 168 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets, the part that confuses the hell out of me is the B.C. Between the bullets I'm sure I have the g7 bergers with the BC of .316. There's a huge difference in the BC between the two with nosler being the larger BC. I am currently trying to get into more longrange shooting and I wanna do it for elk. Any help and feed back is great. I always thought the higher BC the better for hunting, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Thank you in advance!

Okay guys I hope I did this right and bare with me until I figure it out 100% I didn't really know what thread to put this under. Anyways I am kind of confused on my bullet choice for my 7mm rem mag. between the 168 gr nosler accubond long range and the 168 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets, the part that confuses the hell out of me is the B.C. Between the bullets I'm sure I have the g7 bergers with the BC of .316. There's a huge difference in the BC between the two with nosler being the larger BC. I am currently trying to get into more longrange shooting and I wanna do it for elk. Any help and feed back is great. I always thought the higher BC the better for hunting, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Thank you in advance!

I think you may be comparing G7 bc to G1 bc. Two different ways of calculating bc. The G7 is more accurate for the low drag type bullets and differing velocity. IMO the industry should standardize with the G7 drag profile.

Steve

I agree with what RockyMtnMT said about ballistic coefficient.

What is the BC of the Nosler ABLR that you're considering?

Nosler is stating their 168 ABLR G7 bc is .353. Looking at the shape of the two bullets I seriously doubt that the ABLR has a higher bc than the Berger. I believe that is what the op is referring to.

From field reports of the ABLR being very soft, I'd trust the Berger more if there is a possibility of a shorter range shot.

Litz has published verified BC for the nosler lrab's and they are not what nosler says they are. I cannot speak for the 168lrab for elk but I can say the Berger 168hvld's shoot out of my 7mm are elk killing machines!

Nosler is stating their 168 ABLR G7 bc is .353. Looking at the shape of the two bullets I seriously doubt that the ABLR has a higher bc than the Berger. I believe that is what the op is referring to.

From field reports of the ABLR being very soft, I'd trust the Berger more if there is a possibility of a shorter range shot.

Yea, you may be right. I just assumed when the op said "huge" there was some confusion. Depends on the definition of huge. LOL

Steve

The G7 of the 168 Berger is .316 and the 168 LRAB is .319 in a 9 twist and a little higher with a faster twist, BC is not worth making a decision on between the two bullets, your rifle twist rate and accuracy would be more important in this case.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.