Which Bullets for Elk in 7mm?

jasonprox700

If things go right, I'll be hunting elk near Butte in early November. I'll be taking my trusty .280 and I was wondering which bullets I should use. I would like to stick with the 160's and up.

I may also note, that I will be loading for my dad's 7 RMG that he will be taking too. We figured we would load the same bullets.

Hmmmmmmm,

If I were you I'd start out with the 168 Berger in the 280.
If it gets the velocity and accuracy desired for the distance you expect to shoot then super.

If not then I'd start down in weight with other bullets until you get what you want.

I'd consider the same process with the 7mm RM.

If it works out that both like the same bullet then good. If not......well there ya go.....

I would suggest the 154 grain interbond. It has a .525 BC and 90% weight retention in most cases. It would be a little flatter than many of the 160s and have a higher retained weight than most the high BC 160s out there.

Barnes do not stack up very well at long range in comparison to the 154 grain interbond, 160 grain accubond and several other higher BC bullets. The downrange energy, wind drift. and velocity on impact numbers lag well behind. In addition the barnes bullets are prone to not reliably expand below 2000 fps (Approx 500 yards)

I am getting ready to try the 160gr accubond in my 280 ackley, they have always shot great in my ultra mag and hold up great on elk shots way over there.

All of the above information is right on but don't forget the 150 Scirocco II. I know you specified 160 and up but these have great BCs and perform very well at both short range and long range.

Cross

Most of the guys I know like the 160gr accubond for all around performance in the
280 and the 7RM.

IN a poll on this web site the accubond was rated #1 big game bullet ( big surprize )!!!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

All of the above information is right on but don't forget the 150 Scirocco II. I know you specified 160 and up but these have great BCs and perform very well at both short range and long range.

Cross

+1 on the Scirocco. Also the 160 AB.

Steve

I just found this site and this is my first post. I was browsing through this thread. Last year I got drawn for a Limited Entry Bull on the Fishlake Unit in Utah. I shot an unofficial scored bull of 378 with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 7mm Rem Mag at 180yrds. He ran maybe 20yrds and died.

May I also mention that I have been hunting cow elk in that same area for the last 8yrs and have been using that same grain bullet. In 07, my dad, brother and I all shot cows out to 500yrds.

I just found this site and this is my first post. I was browsing through this thread. Last year I got drawn for a Limited Entry Bull on the Fishlake Unit in Utah. I shot an unofficial scored bull of 378 with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my 7mm Rem Mag at 180yrds. He ran maybe 20yrds and died.

I wouldn't recommend that people choose a Nosler Ballistic Tip over one of the other premium bullets for elk, but I too have had very good luck with them. I used the 115 Ballistic Tips from my 25-06 for many years on deer and I don't know if I ever recovered one. They always blew through the far side.

The only thing that stopped one was a 400 pound black bear that my brother in law shot at about 125 yards. It only made it about 40 or 50 yards before expiring. They definitely can do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.