Which Berger is Better for Elk (7mm)

This statement doesn't make any sense, or I'm not understanding what you are meaning.

To me it means that if I am hunting for my 10th elk that a Berger would be fine (and you could care less what bullet I use), however, if it is the only elk I will kill I should choose your bullet choice (guessing Hammer or Barnes). So one elk is more important than another?

I'd take a 180 Hybrid regardless of how many elk I have killed or might not kill.

The OP is asking which Berger is "better", no mention of suggestions of other bullets or designs that I have seen.

Have a great day!

It's really quite simple! Many of you folks act as if every will have near unlimited access to elk hunts……for these people, they can pass on anything but the perfect broadside shot!

On a public forum we have many hunters that may only get one chance at an elk in a lifetime. These hunters likely will not get that perfect broads shot and may have to take a shot that clearly the Berger's are not designed to take! I don't believe that bullets noted to be quite frangible should be used by a hunter that may only get that one shot.

I think that, at the very least it should be a bonded, or partition type bullet, which will afford the hunter more shot opportunities!

I will never say that Bergers or most any other frangible bullet are not quite lethal when/if they get to the vitals! I'm mearly saying that there are other bullets that "will" get to the vitals, when the Berger is finished!

I do believe that elk should be given the quickest most humane death feasible with modern sporting arms. My comment was suggesting that those of us that have killed and will likely kill many more elk can pass on shots that a "one and done" hunter should not pass on!

I feel the same way about many on hunting forums using the smallest legally allowed cartridge to take elk with! But, that would "open another can of worms" and "butt hurt" a lot of those folks! memtb

This statement doesn't make any sense, or I'm not understanding what you are meaning.

To me it means that if I am hunting for my 10th elk that a Berger would be fine (and you could care less what bullet I use), however, if it is the only elk I will kill I should choose your bullet choice (guessing Hammer or Barnes). So one elk is more important than another?

I'd take a 180 Hybrid regardless of how many elk I have killed or might not kill.

The OP is asking which Berger is "better", no mention of suggestions of other bullets or designs that I have seen.

Have a great day!

In my original post, I never suggested another bullet! I wanted the OP to be aware that the bullets he mentioned may not be the best choice for something other than the perfect shot…..or used at ranges to which the velocity has been reduced whereby reducing the risk of "blow-up" and penetration failure! memtb

I've shot the 168gr Berger CH, Berger 175 Elite Hunter and 195gr Berger EOL out of my 28 Nosler and I'm still searching for my next bullet. These are devastating on Deer, usually blow clean through. Elk have been a different story. I'm reading guys finding Bergers in offside shoulder skin, never for me. I'm doing autopsies on my elk trying to analyze the bullets performance. My best explanation would be like holding a 410 up to the elk and pull the trigger. I never find more than small fragments of my bullets, even with perfect behind the shoulder shots. It does kill them nicely but if you're looking for finding your bullet afterwards, these aren't for you. Lots of shock value. Very accurate. I've got 3 boxes of Nosler 175gr ABLR coming, we shall see, might stick with the 195 Bergers. Heard the 177 hammers are good, but haven't tried them.
I am more interested in finding a dead elk rather than a used up projectile. Lol.

It's really quite simple! Many of you folks act as if every will have near unlimited access to elk hunts……for these people, they can pass on anything but the perfect broadside shot!

On a public forum we have many hunters that may only get one chance at an elk in a lifetime. These hunters likely will not get that perfect broads shot and may have to take a shot that clearly the Berger's are not designed to take! I don't believe that bullets noted to be quite frangible should be used by a hunter that may only get that one shot.

I think that, at the very least it should be a bonded, or partition type bullet, which will afford the hunter more shot opportunities!

I will never say that Bergers or most any other frangible bullet are not quite lethal when/if they get to the vitals! I'm mearly saying that there are other bullets that "will" get to the vitals, when the Berger is finished!

I do believe that elk should be given the quickest most humane death feasible with modern sporting arms. My comment was suggesting that those of us that have killed and will likely kill many more elk can pass on shots that a "one and done" hunter should not pass on!

I feel the same way about many on hunting forums using the smallest legally allowed cartridge to take elk with! But, that would "open another can of worms" and "butt hurt" a lot of those folks! memtb
You mean that my 22CM doesn't work very good.😂🤣 I read all the time it's about taking a knife to a gun fight, or so I feel. I don't have one anyway. To small and to slow. back to Noslers.😁

You say you didn't suggest another bullet, but clearly you are.

I personally see such bullets as these, and others constructed similarly, as very forgiving and a great choice for just the scenario you describe. As long as you have plenty of starting mass and place your shot accordingly, it'll do fine. If you have questions on how to select the right one, many here are glad to help and Berger is absolutely glad to help.

You say you didn't suggest another bullet, but clearly you are.

I personally see such bullets as these, and others constructed similarly, as very forgiving and a great choice for just the scenario you describe. As long as you have plenty of starting mass and place your shot accordingly, it'll do fine. If you have questions on how to select the right one, many here are glad to help and Berger is absolutely glad to help.

Thanks but no thanks! I've been killing elk…..and anything else I shoot just fine with my present bullets! memtb

That's great. No one told you to change what you're doing. I wish you continued success.

Im struggling to understand your actual intent here.

My intent…..is to help a novice elk hunter, that may only get one opportunity to shoot/kill an elk…….have the opportunity to actually shoot and kill an elk!

For those of us that have and will have multiple opportunities, I still contend …..use whatever "blows your skirt up"! I really don't see how that is confusing !

And I wish you success in your hunting endeavors! memtb

My intent…..is to help a novice elk hunter, that may only get one opportunity to shoot/kill an elk…….have the opportunity to actually shoot and kill an elk!

For those of us that have and will have multiple opportunities, I still contend …..use whatever "blows your skirt up"! I really don't see how that is confusing !

And I wish you success in your hunting endeavors! memtb
So what are you suggesting he do then, since you say you're not suggesting a different bullet, yet also seem to be?

You want him to succeed but I missed the clear advice and recommendation you're offering. I'll go back and see if I missed it. All I recall is you all but saying do not use a Berger.

So what are you suggesting he do then, since you say you're not suggesting a different bullet, yet also seem to be?

You want him to succeed but I missed the clear advice and recommendation you're offering. I'll go back and see if I missed it. All I recall is you all but saying do not use a Berger.

To quote you: I'll go back and see if I missed it. All I recall is you all but saying do not use a Berger.

Not just Berger…..any highly frangible bullet!

And in post #58 I actually did suggest a style of bullet to be considered……and it wasn't a mono! memtb