Which Berger is Better for Elk (7mm)

To quote you: I'll go back and see if I missed it. All I recall is you all but saying do not use a Berger.

Not just Berger…..any highly frangible bullet!

And in post #58 I actually did suggest a style of bullet to be considered……and it wasn't a mono! memtb
Thanks. That's more clear.

My statements stand on why they're still a fine choice. I don't dismiss your opinion as long as that's what it is. Your advice is use a different bullet because even though Bergers and other frangible style bullets are quite proven, to include either of the ones mentioned in the OP, they're too much of a risk, yes?

I am good to move on now with that cleared up. Thanks again.

Thanks. That's more clear.

My statements stand on why they're still a fine choice. I don't dismiss your opinion as long as that's what it is. Your advice is use a different bullet because even though Bergers and other frangible style bullets are quite proven, to include either of the ones mentioned in the OP, they're too much of a risk, yes?

I am good to move on now with that cleared up. Thanks again.

You're welcome…. I thought that I was being clear! But then, I knew what I was thinking…..I guess that I didn't present it very well! memtb

I've shot the 168gr Berger CH, Berger 175 Elite Hunter and 195gr Berger EOL out of my 28 Nosler and I'm still searching for my next bullet. These are devastating on Deer, usually blow clean through. Elk have been a different story. I'm reading guys finding Bergers in offside shoulder skin, never for me. I'm doing autopsies on my elk trying to analyze the bullets performance. My best explanation would be like holding a 410 up to the elk and pull the trigger. I never find more than small fragments of my bullets, even with perfect behind the shoulder shots. It does kill them nicely but if you're looking for finding your bullet afterwards, these aren't for you. Lots of shock value. Very accurate. I've got 3 boxes of Nosler 175gr ABLR coming, we shall see, might stick with the 195 Bergers. Heard the 177 hammers are good, but haven't tried them.
215 Hyb @ 3100fps, 436 yds, severe uphill shot, broke on-side rib, lungs were Jell-o, shattered vetebrae, broke off-side rib, stopped under skin. Sounded like he got hit by a 2x4, and he dropped and rolled once and done.
20161201_163753.jpg

IMG_0547_zps3jaiblmu.jpg

20161203_165316.jpg

20161203_165323.jpg

20161203_165507.jpg

20161203_182341.jpg

My experience with a muzzle loader shooting 400 gr. pure lead tipped bullets over 150 gr. of 777 at 200 m was that it expanded so much (over 1") that it didn't penetrate as much as I would like. It was a quartering away shot that went through some stomach and 1" into the heart. The bull walked a few yards and lay down to die. At lower velocity, I assume it wouldn't expand quite so much.

I'm a big believer in high sectional density bullets. Even with explosive expansion, with a sectional density over .300, you'll get pretty good penetration. I killed two bulls at 340 yards using the 168 VLDH at 2850 fps, and neither went more than 10 yards. Both were broadside shots.

Simply put ,without splitting hairs ,
you cant make a bad choice within the hunting group of Bergers .
i use what shoots the best with a sm ES and SD .

That recipe works , for me ,from 30 yrds on a caribou to 890 yrds on muley. All elk kills have been inbetween those ranges , without the need to track them .

practice as much as you can afford , the confidence of putting the bullet where it needs to be is paramount in the few seconds before the shot !

Hybrid vs VLD-H

They have different jackets. Similar to the VLD-T vs the VLD-H. The jackets on the hunting bullets are supposed to hold up better on impact. Im not sure how much any of that really matters. These are cup and core bullets that are designed to break up on impact. I have ran the 7mm 168 VLD-H for a few years. Killed a couple bulls with them. Im not sure you can go wrong with either of those 2 bullets. I run the 168 VLD-Hs in my 7 SAUM and I am working up a load with 215 Hybrids for my 300 PRC now.

** correction **
The jacket on the hunting bullets are slightly thinner. Makes sense with what I have seen when Ive used them in the field.

Last edited:
Hybrid vs VLD-H

They have different jackets. Similar to the VLD-T vs the VLD-H. The jackets on the hunting bullets are supposed to hold up better on impact. Im not sure how much any of that really matters.
I think you have this backwards. Berger target jackets are slightly thicker than the hunting jackets.