which .270 bullet for elk?

Speer BTSP 130 gr. has worked for me on 16 bull elk and another 7 bull elk using 165gr Speer BTSP in the 300 WM. Perfect performance every time for me. From 9 yards to 535 yards. Tried n true in my book.

Man, that 160gr Berger must be pretty slick looking! Might have to look at giving them a whirl in my 270WSM one of these days. I would suspect I could get into the 2900's with them too.. What are you shooting the 160's out of? Scotty

I must be a bit behind.

I haven't yet seen a 160g Berger?

I do have some 165g Matrix.

I think the 150g Partition is hard to beat out to 500 yards.

saw em over at McWhorter custom rifles, they got 165gr matrix, not 160 grain berger, I had a friend load some for my 270 weatherby and Iam getting 3100 and they are tack drivers...

From the McWhorter site

Thanks to Matrix Ballistics, a high BC .277 cal bullet with the highly sought after J4 jacket is now available. The Matrix 165gr VLD with a BC of .650 is performing great in the 270wby for us. We are getting 3150fps and incredible accuracy. The 270 can now hang out with the big boys at extreme long range! Next project 270 STW?

I think the 150g Partition is hard to beat out to 500 yards.

This is my load that I have been running in the 270WSM. I get a little over 3100 with them and man, they are very accurate. With the 150gr PT in the 270, there isn't too much I don't feel comfortable hunting. Scotty

Hey Savage,
I have a question about the Hornady 150 Interbond bullet. What kind of accuracy can I expect from that bullet? My 1st big game rifle was a 270 and I shot the Sierra 130 MK's. Killed everything from coyotes to elk. Then I got into 25-06's and forgot about the 270 cal. Last winter I found an old Parker-Hale in a gunshop and that **** thing drives nails. After terrible results on mule deer this last fall with the 140 Berger I decided to try a different slug. Picked up a box of the 150 IB's this week and am working up loads with a few powders right now.
Thanks for any help, Kirk

Catahoula,

Can I ask you what your results were on that Mule Deer that you shot with the 140 grain Bergers? I was wondering because I have only heard and seen great results with them and am now loading them into my .270. I haven't hunted Mule Deer with them yet and I do plan to in the future, but I have heard great results with them on Elk and White Tail, and I have seen them on Black Tail. What were you shooting them out of and where did you hit? What problems with the Berger did you have, just so that I don't end up with the same results?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts