Bullets for Elk

Win.308Stealth

Quick question here. What bullets are you using for Elk? Bullets that will perform close range and long range. Calibers I load for are .300 Ultra, .30-06, and 7mm. Also, would bullets suitable for elk be suitable for Moose?

I am loading 200gr Accubonds in my 300 Ultra. Everything I have seen and read lead me to using them for all big game, including elk. I will also be using these for Moose as well. I think they would be a good fit for all three calibers that you are talking about. Maybe 160's for the 7mm and 180's for the 30-06. The best part is that they will work really well for close shots, but also have good BC's for shooting long range, whereas some of the other bullets designed for long range shooting don't seem to work very well up close.

Forgot to mention this, but you might also want to check out the Accubond Long Range bullets that are just about to come out. I can't wait to see the reviews of those as the posted BC's are incredible.

We have been hilling a lot of elk with the 215 and 230 Bergers in our 300 wins.

Also several have fallen to the 180 Berger in our 7mm's

This bull below took a 215 Hybrid in the boiler room at 636 yards and stumbled a few steps then folded up last fall.

If you are interested in wound channel pics from all distances you may want to take a look at my thread here. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

There are 20 kills with pics from 200 to 1285 with the 215 Berger along with impact details too.

I have not taken a moose with them yet, but if I draw the tag I will have no problem using them after what I have seen in the field.

Jeff

DSC04174Small.jpg

Jeff, didn't you have some hesitation with shooting those Bergers at closer range? Obviously they do fantastic at long range, but I thought you were saying close range they were not performing as well. That is the only reason I ended up going with Accubonds, which is why I recommended them here as well (he mentioned long range and shorter range). Just curious as I really value your opinion!

Thanks, I think we took 5 bulls with that bullet last fall and I lost count on the cows. I was pretty high on them by the season end. Take a look at the thread and see if their performance suits what you like in a hunting bullet.

Jeff

I did follow the thread, it was unreal how much success you guys had! I just thought you had mentioned that you weren't totally comfortable with them inside of a couple hundred yards, but I could be mistaken :)

Jeff, didn't you have some hesitation with shooting those Bergers at closer range? Obviously they do fantastic at long range, but I thought you were saying close range they were not performing as well. That is the only reason I ended up going with Accubonds, which is why I recommended them here as well (he mentioned long range and shorter range). Just curious as I really value your opinion!

I have hesitation with any bullet until I see it in all scenarios. Yes at first on some closer shots I was hesitant as they did not exit. But in one bull that was quartering about 200 yards I measured through a hole big enough to stick my tape in a path of 26". That pretty much told me they were up to the task. All the pics are there. The way they worked for me was under 500 yards or so they didn't exit in some cases, mostly elk. But they destroyed vitals every time even when the placement was less than good. They had to prove their selves to me. I didn't want to shoot just a few animals and praise them. I wanted many kills to draw a full conclusion. Early on in the thread you are correct, I was hesitant. But later on after I had gutted over a dozen animals and seen all fall to one shot my confidence grew. I don't want anyone to take my word for it and just use them. I would rather they read and look at the thread and make up their own mind if they are what they want to use.

Also remember, I will always favor a bullet that preforms best at the longer distances. Close shots are easier and usually have best placement. Longer shots you need something that is accurate, bucks wind,and will expand for sure and do damage. The farther they are away the harder a follow up will be if needed. There is no magic bullet that works perfect at all distances and velocities. But there are choices that fit your needs best and why you need to decide what will fill all your personal needs best. For me it is the Bergers.

Jeff

I have shot whitetails with 210 betters out of my .300 RUM. A hit in the vitals us devastating, and head shots are something else to see. Shot an antelope last fall @ 689 yards and that dropped the buck dead in it's tracks. But that was antelope and not Elk. This year I want to do a cow elk hunt, but will see if I can find some over the counter tags somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.