Different Elk Rifle

kraigwy

Didn't get my choice elk tag this year and ended up with a left over cow tag.

Trying to decide what to use.

I was planning on using my Model 70 Featherweight in 270 for Elk this year but maybe I should try an '06.

The only '06's I have are vintage rifles, M1, M1903A3, M1917, and a real heavy Model 70 Vietnam Era clone, and of course my M1903a4.

I think I'm gonna switch scopes on my 'A4. It has an old El Paso Weaver K 2.5, which would work except it's not sealed. Meaning it will probably fog.

So I think I'll put on one of my Weaver hunting scopes and use it for Elk.

I like and have had good luck with Hornady Inter-bonds, so I figure I'll load up some 180 IBs and take this old war horse after elk.

I was going to use it for deer, but I think I'll use my '98 Krag for deer and my 'A4 for elk.

DSCN0110.JPG

Which area did you get your cow permit in

Area 38, Big Horns.

Whats wrong with the .270??

Not a thing, I have a Mode 70 Featherweight in 270 that would make Jack proud. Sweetest rifle I have.

But,

They don't make a M1903A4 in 270 Win. And I want to do something with it besides shoot CMP Vintage Sniper Matches (Which I enjoy).

Almost always I'll take a couple rifles along and switch every couple of days. It's hell to be in love with so many ladies.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.