Custom action options

Terminus Zeus should be what you want, it checks off on everything you listed with the QC feature being the icing. No tools required and can swap out barrels at a shooting match in a few minutes without taking it out of the stock.
I was just going to suggest this. I currently own 3 Terminus actions. 1 Zeus SA QC, 1 Zeus LA full thread, and 1 SA Apollo. They are fantastic actions, and full DLC coated (Not nitride like most others).

I have no clue. The base is machined to super tight tolerances with alignment pins. I don't need an internal recoil lug. Due to the fact I have a guy well in the know spin my stuff up. I can't stand pre-fits or even the thought of a pre-fit.
I have prefits and and full custom guns… I like both… reasons I like prefits is I can add a barrel in a new cartridge for $500-6 (under 1k for dies and brass) and typically avg groups @ 100 yards in the .3s maybe a little better or worse. Its easy. Again, that's average, as they've all shot 3 shots in the .1s and most in the .0s.

I have a custom FClass build that's been in the works for over 18 months now and will be at least 6 months longer as I wait for the stock to be bedded and clear coated… I'm sure it will be amazing, but waiting 2 years for a rifle is one of the most absurd things I would say I've done… hard enough waiting for a suppressor these days.

I have 11 rifles I run in a modular platform which I won't even mention the action mfg as it's not about that… I have at least two barrels for each action… I get to feel like a high roller as I can shoot 20 something different setups and can swap them all out within 10-15 minutes… which I do from time to time.

Why? You might ask.

I have quite a few community varmint barrels that I will swap out and back each year at certain times (223 rems slow twist for heavies, 223rems fast twist for lighter closer work and cheaper bullets, 20 practical, 22BR now, 22-250, 22 CM, even 22 LR)… I don't want to leave 6-7 rifles tied up with these barrels on them so I swap them out…
I have ultralight hunting rigs in SA & LA so I get to shoot 300 PRC/300/6.5 PRC/7mm PRC/280AI/all CMs and several others… it's a ton of fun to me. This setup also lets me go much higher end on my optics for these as well as I'm not going to buy 20-$3,500-$4,500 scopes or more.

I'll give you there's nothing like a fully custom rifle, but I have a few prefits that I'm agg ing in the same range for much lower cost and the timing thing (which is the biggest pain in the butt) it isn't even close… what other industry do you get told 3-4 months and it ends up being 2-3 times that?… outside of my home build… it is by far the worst part of building a custom gun.

Forgive me if I'm on one today… I did just get told yesterday that what I was promised was going to be done in the next "couple weeks" is going to be another 4-6 months… aka 8-10-12+ months in my experience. I want to believe him… But the guy is very blessed he says, and I'm happy for him. Genuinely happy for him.

AMU Pro Shooter Kahl Harmon won the 2023 PRS Pro Series running a Terminus Zeus QC.
😎
Ya hope nobody takes me out of context here.
Kahl is way out of my league!
The QC action is perfectly suited for any situation.
The option of reliably swapping barrels easily is amazing.
I'd assume it's not necessarily what happens at the top level at a match but maybe I'm wrong here in club match land! 🤣
#3lugnation!

For 90* actions I really like the lone peak, impact and kelbly. Owning all 3 and many others these stand out to me.

For 60* the terminus Zeus is hard to argue with (I own this one as well). The features it has are unique and work very well!
Of the 90° actions, which one stands out? I like the option of the 75° (or maybe it was 70°) bolt from Impact. It seems a lot of the actions in this discipline are the Impacts so I was kind of leaning that direction.

Any experience comparing the Zeus to the Curtis Valor? They seem to be almost identical. I'm curious if the tenons are the same.

Of the 90° actions, which one stands out? I like the option of the 75° (or maybe it was 70°) bolt from Impact. It seems a lot of the actions in this discipline are the Impacts so I was kind of leaning that direction.

Any experience comparing the Zeus to the Curtis Valor? They seem to be almost identical. I'm curious if the tenons are the same.
Technically yes. Theres a reason that they're the same. Long story… and you can find it here in the forums but Joel from Terminus is the original designer and the leader of that design in my opinion and many others.
He also leads in QC, support and innovation of that design.

I would understand your logic of the Impact. It'll be interesting to play with that action. Lots of barrel support for that action.

Technically yes. Theres a reason that they're the same. Long story… and you can find it here in the forums but Joel from Terminus is the original designer and the leader of that design in my opinion and many others.
He also leads in QC, support and innovation of that design.

I would understand your logic of the Impact. It'll be interesting to play with that action. Lots of barrel support for that action.
Yeah I understand Terminus or Curtis broke off from one another. I wasn't sure which way it went. Seems like Terminus has kept most of the market share and you don't hear too much about Curtis. I find it interesting that they have all of the same features. I'm really curious if there are any differences. Looking at spec sheets it doesn't seem so.

I think I've pretty much decided that I'd go with a Proof Research pre-fit for this. With military discounts they're the cheapest cut-rifled pre-fit I can get. I haven't reached out to any of the other barrel makes to determine that but I know what my price with for Proof. Like I said before, they've treated me really well with a pre-fit that I have for my Savage 28 Nosler. All of that to say most of the ones I've seriously considered have the option of a Proof pre-fit. So the barrel support isn't so important. Impact, Zermatt, and Terminus all seem like great options because of that. Even Lone Peak is in there, so it's been hard for me to narrow it down. I wish I could get my hands on these actions and see what I really like the most.

Last edited: