Low end Custom Build Options

bookworm

Looking at options for a "low end" custom build. I say low end because it would be built on a remington donor action and I'm looking to keep the price as low as possible but still get good custom components assembled around that action.

Something like:

- Remington 700 donor action & trigger (trued & tuned)
- Krieger barrel w/fluting
- Manners T-stock
- Pillar/glass bedding

Although I can't find exact apples to apples it appears that reputable smiths range roughly from $2500 - $3000 for a finished rifle like this.

I see there is an alternative option by using Krieger to do the final assembly of the components. If I'm reading their site correctly it appears that I could send the action and stock to Krieger and they could do this work in house. Assuming around $900 for stock and action, the total would be around $2000 for the finished product.

Has anyone gone this route vs using a gunsmith for finished rifle? What are the pros/cons? The obvious pro is saving roughly $500 - $1000...but there are usually trade-offs with savings this big.

Experiences and opinions welcome.

Lots of choices out there none of the good ones are ever cheep. So figure 500 for the stock give or take. 300 for a barrel plus the chambering and the other work and shipping, I dont get the same price you do. Have you looked at the websites and price sheets of the gunsmiths that are members on this page?

If your trully looking for just a donor remy rifle using the factory trigger and bottom metal, a fluted krieger, and a manners T, I come up with about $1350 in parts.

putting it all together is TFC@ $200, action BP@ $175 and Pillar bedding @ $200

Add ons is where you will climb the price; mag systems, cusom paint, muzzle brake, ect.

I know of at least 4 smiths on this site that would charge very similar prices, take your pick.

I've built three "long range" rifles by having Rem 700 donor actions rebarreled. Those include a 30" 300 RUM, and 29.5" 7mm STW done by Hart Rifle Barrels and a 28" 264 Win mag rebarreled by Custom rifle barrels for varmint hunters to serious benchrest shooters. PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Precision Rifle Barrels - Pac-Nor.com. I did the rest of the work of bedding McMillan stocks either from ebay or Custom rifles, fiberglass stocks, military and police training, tactical and competition gear, hunting accessories. Bedding and fitting takes some patience and time but not much investment in tools.

The two rifles from Hart are specifically for 1 mile silhouette target shooting. The 264 WM is for 1000 yard F class. Each of those cost about $1500 (less scope) I'm satisfied with all three and they shoot better than any factory rifles I own. Despite the cost savings the reason I do it this way is to obtain rifles built the way I want them.

There is satisfaction in doing as much as I'm competent to do. I have no qualms about making changes to these rifles if I don't like something. That's not the case on complete rifles made by a recognized expert gunsmith. That's somewhat like defiling a work of art.

I've also assembled several rifles by buying "prefit" (contoured/chambered/threaded/crowned) barrels from Pac-Nor, Shillen, and AAC and fitting them myself. Headspacing a Rem 700 can be as simple as adjusting thickness of the recoil lug and doesn't require a machine shop. Jewell triggers are a given on any Rem 700 build.

The most important part of a custom rifle build is getting a barrel with a chamber which matches the ammo/bullet/seating depth you want to use. It's just luck if you get that with a factory rifle.

Last edited:
Hi Guys - thanks for the replies and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

I did try to cruise the Sponsor's prices but I'm having problem with some broken links on the Sponsor page. Not sure if that is a me problem or if it's a broader issue. Given the link problem I've not been able to do a thorough evaluation of Sponsor pricing...but did find a couple.

Cowboy, thanks for the information...looks like your pricing is very competitive and consistent with what I find on the Krieger site. By the looks of your home page you are staying quite busy - that's a great place to be these days.

I think where I probably went wrong in my original message is comparing the combination of these individual services (roughly $2000) to the prices of finished rifles (roughly $2500 - $3000)...often times with accuracy guarantees. My guess is that the additional cost goes into the smith taking the time necessary to ensure the accuracy, loads, shooting, etc. In both cases you end up with a finished rifle but I suppose the performance may or may not be the same.

I'm probably missing some additional nuances that go into the guaranteed finished rifle versus the individual services to assemble a rifle...this is where I still have some learning to do. Any insights you can provide on this would greatly help with my learning process.

I bought a donor rifle for 650$ bedded the action and did a rebarrel with Hart rifle barrels for 650$+120$ for flutes+45$ for installing muzzle brake. Waiting time was long but I am happy with the service. I should be getting the rifle next week.

lsm - would love to see pictures and hear how your rifle shoots once you get it back and have a chance to put some rounds through it.

By the way - what was the wait time?

Looking at options for a "low end" custom build. I say low end because it would be built on a remington donor action and I'm looking to keep the price as low as possible but still get good custom components assembled around that action.

Something like:

- Remington 700 donor action & trigger (trued & tuned)
- Krieger barrel w/fluting
- Manners T-stock
- Pillar/glass bedding

Although I can't find exact apples to apples it appears that reputable smiths range roughly from $2500 - $3000 for a finished rifle like this.

I see there is an alternative option by using Krieger to do the final assembly of the components. If I'm reading their site correctly it appears that I could send the action and stock to Krieger and they could do this work in house. Assuming around $900 for stock and action, the total would be around $2000 for the finished product.

Has anyone gone this route vs using a gunsmith for finished rifle? What are the pros/cons? The obvious pro is saving roughly $500 - $1000...but there are usually trade-offs with savings this big.

Experiences and opinions welcome.

What I did was buy a 300WSM Remi 700 from a guy on this site.
Purchased the barrel from maker
installed my own rifle basix trigger
purchased the stock and cheekrest and installed myself
purchased the box mag, and recoil lug from internet

Then I put it all into a hard rifle case and shipped to local smith.

Now the wait time is minimal as HE is not waiting for parts to arrive.

I'm just paying for labor and assembly.

If there is a cheaper faster way I'm not aware of it.

I'm probably missing some additional nuances that go into the guaranteed finished rifle versus the individual services to assemble a rifle...this is where I still have some learning to do. Any insights you can provide on this would greatly help with my learning process.

A guarantee on delivery time would be nice (and unusual). No gunsmith can guarantee you'll have successful hunts or win matches or survive combat. Those are all more dependent on the gun owner than the gunsmith.

Lou - you lost me on your last post...sorry if I'm being dense. My guarantee comment was regarding the 1/2" at 100yds that come with some finished precision custom rifles.

My question is, what work/effort goes into the rifle with a 1/2" guarantee versus a rifle put together with the same components but with no accuracy gaurantee.

Daves762 - Your method makes sense. Did you get good results from your project as described...you shooting 1/2" or better at 100yds?

Lou - you lost me on your last post...sorry if I'm being dense. My guarantee comment was regarding the 1/2" at 100yds that come with some finished precision custom rifles.

My question is, what work/effort goes into the rifle with a 1/2" guarantee versus a rifle put together with the same components but with no accuracy gaurantee.

Daves762 - Your method makes sense. Did you get good results from your project as described...you shooting 1/2" or better at 100yds?

I have not recieved the rifle yet. I will let you know. But I'm getting 1/2 groups with my factory 700 and hand loads so i sure hope the fancy custom rifle can do that or better......

There plenty of ways to save money on a build that will still shoot better than alot of guys could even shoot it.

Here's one of mine that was done just that way.

It's a 243AI and I have $1100 into the complete build, including parts and smith work.

Bought the donor rifle and sold of the barrel/stock/trigger and was left with the action for 150$. Bought the McMillan for 450$, Paid 300$ for the fluted Rock Creek barrel on a group buy, Paid 50$ for a used Timney trigger, and my smith charged 150$ lapping the lugs/squaring the action face/chamber crown and install. I skipped the big bolt knobs and saved a 100$ there, I do my own bedding and that's save a bunch, I skipped the fancy coatings and saved a bunch there too.

Does it shoot every bit as good as my GAP full on rifle build for 1/3 the price? For sure it does. This was 5 at 705yds while laying prone in the snow.

IMG_20110224_164426.jpg

Here's another one. I have 175$ in this action, 200$ into the PacNor barrel, 100$ in the TI stock, 130$ in the smith work.

605$ for a 25-06AI, You can spend much more than that on a factory rifle. Retained the stock trigger and adjusted it myself, I do my own bedding, no fancy coatings all save a few bucks on a budget build. Does this one shoot, you bet.

IMG_20110830_201107.jpg

Wife and I both killed Antelope bucks with it in Wyoming this fall, hers at 416yds and mine at 460yds.

076.jpg

C360_2011-09-2514-53-36.jpg

DSC_8479fixed.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.