375 rum custom build options/ideas??

yes one is a 338 the other a 375.

Mark, I took no offence. Im just saying I think the rum has a ton of potential, because I have seen it. Lapua brass is absolutely better but I have had great luck with the remington stuff (usually I hate remington brass) I have 8 reloads in mine so far.

Mike, You've shot the 375 RUM and I haven't so you know it better. The OP said he was interested in an ELR rifle which to me means well beyond 1K, like maybe out to a mile or 2000 yds. When I think of a 375 RUM, I'm thinking more of a safari or Alaskan brown bear gun than an ELR rifle.

Have you shot the 350 SMK's? What COAL and velocity? If the 375 AX can get 2900 fps with a 350 SMK, I'm guessing the 375 RUM will get about 2700 fps? If so, that bullet could get to 2K just before going transonic and and about 1K @ 1800 fps @ about 4000' elevation.

How's your rifle set up? 3.99" extended mag box?

Mike, You've shot the 375 RUM and I haven't so you know it better. The OP said he was interested in an ELR rifle which to me means well beyond 1K, like maybe out to a mile or 2000 yds. When I think of a 375 RUM, I'm thinking more of a safari or Alaskan brown bear gun than an ELR rifle.

Have you shot the 350 SMK's? What COAL and velocity? If the 375 AX can get 2900 fps with a 350 SMK, I'm guessing the 375 RUM will get about 2700 fps? If so, that bullet could get to 2K just before going transonic and and about 1K @ 1800 fps @ about 4000' elevation.

How's your rifle set up? 3.99" extended mag box?

Yes I have the 3.99 mag I have only shot the 270tsx, not what you would call a LR bullet by any means but It will hold a half moa as far as I have shot it which is 1100 yards. the 270TSX at 3200 fps has surprised me its an amazing thing and the sheer diameter makes for some pretty intense death. This is why I think having it loaded with a 350 CE or similar itll make it a prety legitimate ELR round. its no Cheytac BUT it puts out some amazing numbers. I am all for anything 375 diameter, the lapua version would be sweet. However im apprehensive to say its a ton better based on my own Lapua. I love my lapua and it shoots great but performance is so similar to the 338 rum and the 338 edge I find it hard to believe the extra expense of the 338LM-375 would be worth the very slight gain in performance and the ability to use better brass. If I had it to do over I would build a 338 RUM over my Lapua just because it would have saved me a lot of money and a good chance the end result would have been the same. If money and time were no issue id scrap them both and build a Cheytac

Well I was shooting for elr but I figured you could get some more horsepower out of a longer tube but.. I guess that not the case.

375 rum is very effective past 1000 yards without a doubt and that pushing 270gr barnes triple shock.

A possible reason you think Africa when you here 375 rum is because there isn't many high bc. Pills out there. I've called over to Berger on many different occasions inquiring about a .375 cal line and they say we are swamped right now with orders of bullets we do have out, but as soon as we catch up there is a very good possibility we will be working on something.

In my opinion a 270gr Berger would be just the ticket for the 375 rum

So you think I'm onto something with the 350 CE or similar?

Sounded pretty good in my head! That's for suregun)

Yes I have the 3.99 mag I have only shot the 270tsx, not what you would call a LR bullet by any means but It will hold a half moa as far as I have shot it which is 1100 yards. the 270TSX at 3200 fps has surprised me its an amazing thing and the sheer diameter makes for some pretty intense death. This is why I think having it loaded with a 350 CE or similar itll make it a prety legitimate ELR round. its no Cheytac BUT it puts out some amazing numbers. I am all for anything 375 diameter, the lapua version would be sweet. However im apprehensive to say its a ton better based on my own Lapua. I love my lapua and it shoots great but performance is so similar to the 338 rum and the 338 edge I find it hard to believe the extra expense of the 338LM-375 would be worth the very slight gain in performance and the ability to use better brass. If I had it to do over I would build a 338 RUM over my Lapua just because it would have saved me a lot of money and a good chance the end result would have been the same. If money and time were no issue id scrap them both and build a Cheytac

I've been trying to convince myself that you could get some gain with the 375 vs the 338 but I just can't make it come out without getting some more powder under it.

In the 338 the RUM and Lapua are very close but the RUM can only see some gains by adding barrel and even then it's not much. The Lapua will add 150-200 fps by simply improving it, this would get more powder under the 375 also and may get you into the 2950-3000 fps range with a 350gr bullet.

You really need to push the 350 gr SMK at least 100fps faster than a 300gr OTM to even start to see a slight edge at ELR ranges, I can't come up with a way to make it happen without at least an improved Laupa case.

If I was to sell out I'd most likely look into having a 375 SnipeTac built.

http://www.blackdiamondrifles.com/s...blackdiamondrifles.com/375_SnipeTac.html#2907

"The 375 SnipeTac is a larger version of the popular 338 SnipeTac case. It has more powder capacity than the 338 version as we pushed the shoulder forward. It has more energy and distance capability than the 408 CheyTac rifle. The 350gn
Sierra Match King will push over 8000# of muzzle energy, this is a very hard hitting long range rifle. It is available in single shot or repeater rifles. It is based from the 408 Cheytac case, necked down and improved shoulder design."

Sounds pretty **** impressive to me but all it takes is money.

I've been trying to convince myself that you could get some gain with the 375 vs the 338 but I just can't make it come out without getting some more powder under it.

In the 338 the RUM and Lapua are very close but the RUM can only see some gains by adding barrel and even then it's not much. The Lapua will add 150-200 fps by simply improving it, this would get more powder under the 375 also and may get you into the 2950-3000 fps range with a 350gr bullet.

You really need to push the 350 gr SMK at least 100fps faster than a 300gr OTM to even start to see a slight edge at ELR ranges, I can't come up with a way to make it happen without at least an improved Laupa case.

Great post! I've looked at it off and on trying to convince myself as well and it just doesn't look like there's a reason to abandon my Edge for the 375

Great post! I've looked at it off and on trying to convince myself as well and it just doesn't look like there's a reason to abandon my Edge for the 375

if you base your decision on which shoots flatter the 338 will probably win. but if you base it on raw killing ability the 375 will win at any distance

if you base your decision on which shoots flatter the 338 will probably win. but if you base it on raw killing ability the 375 will win at any distance[/QUOTE

If that were the case we would not be struggling to find the advantage!

I've been trying to make the case to myself that the 375 will bring something but I just have not been able to, I would LOVE to chamber up a 375 that would give a 338 a run for it's money in ELR shooting and hunting.

Just looking at the difference in our RUMs, I ran out of 300's so I'm running 250's at 3100fps. Your shooting the 270 TSX at 3200fps I think I saw.

At a 1000 yards I'm still clocking along at 2159 fps with 2588 ft lbs of energy and the bullet will open and carnage will happen, your 375 at my elevation is showing 1296 fps and 1007 ft lbs of energy, don't know if that bullet would open but I'd be surprised! In my mind the 338 is GANG raping the 375 at this point!!

Putting the best bullets and cases together and I still can't come up with anything that blows my skirt up!

if you base your decision on which shoots flatter the 338 will probably win. but if you base it on raw killing ability the 375 will win at any distance[/QUOTE

If that were the case we would not be struggling to find the advantage!

I've been trying to make the case to myself that the 375 will bring something but I just have not been able to, I would LOVE to chamber up a 375 that would give a 338 a run for it's money in ELR shooting and hunting.

Just looking at the difference in our RUMs, I ran out of 300's so I'm running 250's at 3100fps. Your shooting the 270 TSX at 3200fps I think I saw.

At a 1000 yards I'm still clocking along at 2159 fps with 2588 ft lbs of energy and the bullet will open and carnage will happen, your 375 at my elevation is showing 1296 fps and 1007 ft lbs of energy, don't know if that bullet would open but I'd be surprised! In my mind the 338 is GANG raping the 375 at this point!!

Putting the best bullets and cases together and I still can't come up with anything that blows my skirt up!

I am assuming you have never killed much with a 375? velocity, energy etc have nothing to do with killing power. the sheer Diameter of the 375 in itself is a whole new class of killing. Maybe HarperC will chime in. I recoveres a 270 TSX from the hill side once and the mushroom measured .980 ... 1" hole is hard to argue with. paper numbers and real world results are 2 different things

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.