Custom action options

Jim Borden action. I used an alpine action in competition and for hunting. In competition won at the Nationals a number of times and have stocked the freezer for winter even more. Ended up with 3 of his actions so far....
Its interesting you don't see more love for Borden actions on these forums... they straight up shoot and the results show it.

Now Im curious. What issues do you have with the BAT?
I don't have any issues, I just prefer impact actions over bat actions.

The impact action bolt really doesn't show wear, where the Bat show wear shortly after sliding a few rounds through them ( meaning the nitrate).There is a lot of support for impact prefit compared to bat. Meaning you can find tons of place to just buy a barrel. The feeding from my perspective is smoother using impact actions over bat actions.

DO NOT BUY A SOLUS!!!! I bought on almost a year ago intending to build a 6.5 PRC. I bought action with the .308 bolt face intending to make it a switch barrel. I bought the unique barrel wrench so I could build my rifle. I was told that I could just order a Magnum bolt face. Wrong! I have been trying to order the Magnum bolt face since then a was told that they would be available by fall. Then I was told after the first of the year. Now, I'm being told fall again. Aero won't even tell you what accessories to use except for triggers. I was told that they won't recommend parts because they don't want to responsible in case they don't work. Weak. They should know what will or will not work. It has the potential to be a great action, but Aero is not supporting it. Buy something else unless you you want to start with building a .308 style cartridge rifle.

DO NOT BUY A SOLUS!!!! I bought on almost a year ago intending to build a 6.5 PRC. I bought action with the .308 bolt face intending to make it a switch barrel. I bought the unique barrel wrench so I could build my rifle. I was told that I could just order a Magnum bolt face. Wrong! I have been trying to order the Magnum bolt face since then a was told that they would be available by fall. Then I was told after the first of the year. Now, I'm being told fall again. Aero won't even tell you what accessories to use except for triggers. I was told that they won't recommend parts because they don't want to responsible in case they don't work. Weak. They should know what will or will not work. It has the potential to be a great action, but Aero is not supporting it. Buy something else unless you you want to start with building a .308 style cartridge rifle.
Well I was thinking a 6 Dasher which is the 308 bolt face. I think if I was building a magnum I'd want to get a medium action anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Posted this on a thread about lh actions but it should be useful here too. Exchange means you are paying about 73% of posted price. Great actions and superb barrels. Have some myself and love them. Had them build me a custom express rifle in 338 378. beautiful gun, top notch craftsmanship.

Last edited:

Posted this on a thread about lh actions but it should be useful here too. Exchange means you are paying about 73" of posted price. Great actions and superb barrels. Have some myself and love them. Had them build me a custom express rifle in 338 378. beautiful gun, you notch craftsmanship.
Can you get them in the States? Those do look pretty nice.

So what I'm hearing, (since I haven't heard anyone actually recommend a Bat model) 737R, TL3, and Zeus? Maybe leaning more towards the 737R and Zeus. How about the CRF vs push feed debate, bringing the TL3 more into the picture? And 2-lug vs 3-lug. I understand the more cocking pressure required for the 3-lugs but what's does that really equate to? I assume all of these actions are extremely smooth. Of the 3 which one should I pick? Prices are all very comparable and I'm not too worried about that part. Which one would feed the Dasher better without too much extra effort? I've hear the TL3 has some advantage there but I also see that the 737R and Zeus are great actions too.

Recent Posts