Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

@slas have you checked the classifieds? There's a LAW 30-06 for sale and a seekins precision in .308 for sale. No affiliation with the sellers. Theres some cool Stuff in the classifieds.
I've narrowed it down a bit anyway. I know I want at least a 26" barrel, want rifle weight around 6-7 # or no more than 10 with scope. I'm leaning towards 280 AI or 300 WM for my do it all. I have a Tikka 260 that I do like, after pillars/bedding job and a few tweaks, but barrel is only 22" and limited. A 280 AI might be redundant for now until I'm able to hunt at longer ranges. My current Sendero 300 WM is a heavy, 14# w/scope, so I'm trying to trade/sell it off and work towards something lightweight. Would like to handle a Fierce but not sure where I could get my hands on one in the OKC area.

My most recent attempt was on a Tikka Forest 260, I just like the wood stocks. I added stock and pillar bedding, replace the recoil lug, bottom metal (was plastic) and mag. Modified mag and bolt throw to use long loaded Berger 140's up to 3.0 COAL. Adjusted the trigger down and topped it with quality rail, rings and a Nightforce. Still breaking it in and experimenting with various loads but show's promising groups at 250 yard range (all I have at this time).

What other general upgrades could one do to improve it (outside things like barrel replacement)? Also, how does a properly bedded wooden stock with pillars compare to the higher dollar replacement stocks? It just seems like the wooden stock done right would have all the same advantages, and I wrong?

Hello Slas, I made timber stocks as early as 1955 and still do timber plugs for Carbon Fibre moulding. I really like nice grained timber or grainless Burls for knife handles, but have never had a timber stock that will hold point of impact even when sealed with epoxy. I'm talking head shooting foxes for skins out to 300 yards with a .17 MKIV in still winter conditions. The nights are clear as crystal and mostly void of wind. I make an all carbon stock (Not Commercial) stiffer and stronger than any other stock I have tested. To achieve this the outside finish needs to be painted which also makes the stock less sensitive to sun as black is just about the worst colour you can have on a stock. Look for an all carbon constructed stock without timber and aluminium inclusions. Carbon pillars moulded into the stock are the best option and find someone who can make the stock in one piece from start to finish. Remember Epoxies don't bond well to a cured part.
I make this suggestion if you want unchanging point of impact Summer and Winter.

I'm picking up an x-caliber 26" 260 barrel that one of the guys here pulled off a Tikka action. Planning on putting it on my current T3. That should get me a little closer to "custom".

I have shot 4 different fierce fury's and 1 fierce edge rifle. The edge model was chambered in 28 nosler with a 5-20 huskemaw, 3 of the fury's were chambered in 300 wm with Leupold 4.5-14 and Nightforce shv 4-14, and 1 fury chambered in 6.5 cm with a 4.5-14 Leupold. I am a huge fan of these rifles now. They come with a 1/2 moa guarantee with factory ammo, 4 round stainless steel drop magazine in the magnum chamberings, muzzle brake and thread protector, adjustable trigger that isn't too bad, and Talley have their aluminum 1 piece ring/base scope mounts available now. The tolerances from bolt to action are tighter than any other factory action and even a few custom actions. Each one of the rifles shot right at or just above their 1/2 moa guarantee at 100 yards with the suggested factory ammo. The 6.5 cm was the most consistently accurate rifle of the 5 using the hornady 143gr eldx precision hunter ammo. It printed multiple 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards on 3 different occasions. I'm going to work up loads for the edge 28 nosler and one of the fury 300 win Mags this spring. I'm pretty confident they will be 1/4 moa guns after seeing what they do with factory ammo. I shot the edge 28 on super bowl Sunday at 1315 yards with nosler 175gr ablr trophy grade ammo and kept 6 out of 8 rounds in 1 1/4 moa. I thought that was pretty impressive considering the ammo. Well worth the money imo.

TAP the brakes. Look at the new model Bergara just introduced at SHOT. Its gonna be a ROCK STAR !!!!

Check this bad boy out...but you are pretty much paying custom prices with its $1700 price tag....

4C5AD2A6-E71E-44CD-BEB4-8CEE7919189A.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.