Cleaning rod stuck!

Excavator

Long time watcher first time posting. I have been hunting since I was a young kid. I am not new to cleaning guns. However I have never had this happen. Today I decided to clean my new 6.5 284 Norma. Had to get a new Dewey rod cause all my other rods are 30 cal. I inserted my bore guide. Then I went to send a patch down the bore with Kg on it. About 8" down the barrel it got very tight. I decided to pull it back out, would not move. So I removed the break then tapped through with a mallet. After it passed, which it never lessened up. I noticed that it had lost the patch! So I removed the jage. Hoping it would come right back out, won't budge! What should I do? Have I ruined my brand new custom? Please advise!

So the cleaning rod is stuck , with part of it out the muzzle and the rest of it sticking out of the receiver?

Correct, so here is where I am at with it. I sprayed a bunch of aero kroil down the muzzle end. Then I propped it up in the corner while I eat dinner. After dinner I went to check on it. I noticed it to be slightly looser, but still very tight. So I put a thick rubber mat on the floor and bumped it back in forth till I yanked it out. About broke a rib when it came free. Then I looked down the muzzle and could see a coating. Must of been pieces of the patch. Long story short after 30 min of cleaning it appears to be clean. That being said I down sized to a 243 jag. The 243 jag had plenty of drag I believe. Followed by a 6.5 bronze brush. I prefer nylon however hoped the the bronze would do a better job in this circumstance. I hope everything will be okay. Just got this rig and boy does it shoot, or should I say boy did it shoot! I will reclean tomorrow then head out back to streach it out! Will keep you posted.

First, spray both sides of the patch with a "nut loosener" like Blast, etc. Second, try to reinstall the jag and it's likely to be time consuming and nerve-wracking, but you don't want to drive that patch and the jag either way. When you get the jag back on the rod push or drive it toward the muzzle and do not reverse directions. Reversing is most likely going to jam the patch tighter in the bore. Don't let your sentiments govern your efforts; just work on it slowly and use common sense in hammer tapping. Good luck with this...

Get a .25 caliber bore brush run it down the bore and push it out. If that doesn't work run it down to your patch then give it a twist it should grab the patch then just pull it out. It may take a few tries

You probably haven't ruined it but there are only two ways to get it out which would be pushing or pulling.

You don't want to use a brush or all you're going to do is bend it up and likely get it stuck as well.

Sacrifice a brush by cutting it off just above the stud, lube above and below the stuck patch and just start bumping it with rapid light taps until it loosens and pops out.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation and you can't push it on through before breaking it get some help or put the stock in an appropriate vice and using steady pressure pull on it while using something to bump the rod out in reverse.

As a rule though never use a super tight jag and never try to reverse direction. If you start of pushing keep pushing, if you start off pulling, keep pulling.

Just make sure you start off with the right size jag and patch.

You aren't the first guy to do this, nor will you be the last so don't feel too bad, just learn from it.

Long time watcher first time posting. I have been hunting since I was a young kid. I am not new to cleaning guns. However I have never had this happen. Today I decided to clean my new 6.5 284 Norma. Had to get a new Dewey rod cause all my other rods are 30 cal. I inserted my bore guide. Then I went to send a patch down the bore with Kg on it. About 8" down the barrel it got very tight. I decided to pull it back out, would not move. So I removed the break then tapped through with a mallet. After it passed, which it never lessened up. I noticed that it had lost the patch! So I removed the jage. Hoping it would come right back out, won't budge! What should I do? Have I ruined my brand new custom? Please advise!
After reading this again a couple of times I need some clarification.

Is the cleaning jag still attached to your rod and patch alone stuck in the bore, or is the jag and patch still together and stuck in the bore with you having unscrewed the rod from the jag?

It is out now! The jag passed through the muzzle without the patch. For some reason my responses are not posting???? Says that they need to be reviewed by the moderator?

Stop with cleaning if it shoots MOA or better I don't clean at all I have hundeds of rounds down several of my barrels unless i see something on the target that makes me think I should clean I don't bother. Way more barrels ruined with a cleaning regiment than shooting them.

I agree, I would not of cleaned it. However I have been at our farm in SW ga for 2 weeks, riding a cart back and forth. It has not rained in 3 months. The clay dust was so bad that you could turn a q tip orange cleaning your ears! I just wanted to make sure the bore was clean.

I agree, I would not of cleaned it. However I have been at our farm in SW ga for 2 weeks, riding a cart back and forth. It has not rained in 3 months. The clay dust was so bad that you could turn a q tip orange cleaning your ears! I just wanted to make sure the bore was clean.
Always wise. Glad you got it worked out.

With new members I think after a post or two made right after joining the moderators have a "hold" on the account until they can check them out to ensure it's not a bot, spammer, or problem child.

Apparently, you've been approved. Welcome.

Deja,,,welcome to the neighborhood

morning, so much for the 1st amendment. if u r not a sponsor, u will

be idited. boy I will hear flack over this posting. if the mono is posted.lightbulb:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.