Stuck case

A hammer works...if not get a bigger hammer, the hammer has solving problems for thousands of years.
Then a 20 ton press might work too... but its not a hammer, everyone has a hammer.šŸ™‚
The hammer works on home invasion bad guys too, when the modern gun is out of commission. "Bang, Bang, Maxwell's silver hammer comes down, on his head"..heard it in a song,.. so it must be true... the faithful hammer.
lol šŸ˜‚ awesome šŸ‘

Risky business removing a stuck live round from chamber. It only takes one detonation to produce a catastrophe - like an out of battery kaboom. Stuck round extractors are available - they attach to the rim of the stuck round, a rod projects from the attachment point that has a sliding weight, the sliding weight is gently slid back to the end of the rod where a stop is located. The impact/impulse might dislodge the stuck case. Another method is to flood the entire bore with a penetrating oil like Kroil, wait overnight and gently push on the stuck round with a rod - often works - treat both ends of barrel like a hazard.

Stuck brass can act like projectiles. Some time ago, during a bench rest shoot, a stuck round was pounded on with a rod. The round detonated & stuck brass flew out & killed the competitor's wife who was standing behind the rifle - a fatal abdominal wound.

At a range where I visited, a shooter had a stuck 7.62X39 round in a SKS. He placed a steel rod down the barrel against the stuck round & pushed hard against a post. The round detonated, blood on concrete floor, shooter left.

I would use a barrel vice & action wrench - provided application.

One of our kids stuck a round in his AR15. Trying to get the round out, they just managed to drive the projectile into the case. They went ahead pulled the barrel. After about a week with the bore full of oil, they handed me the barrel.

I chucked it up in the lathe, using a sharp carbide end mill, I cut a hole through the primer/pocket. Ran a larger end mill through so I could insert the roughing reamer. Spun the spindle at slow speed, as soon as the roughing reamer grabbed, the case unstuck itself from the chamber wall.

I remember that incident in a benchrest match.

Last edited:
How do you get a LOADED case to stick in the chamber???
With a Bolt Rifle you may be able to take the Bolt out and then try to get the cartridge out. If the case is stuck in the bolt that is another problem. Have seen some bolt handles bend/break from the owner beating on the handle.
If you have a Lever or Pump?????
WHAT IS THE ROOT CAUSE of a stuck case????

With a Bolt Rifle you may be able to take the Bolt out and then try to get the cartridge out. If the case is stuck in the bolt that is another problem. Have seen some bolt handles bend/break from the owner beating on the handle.

In our case, the kid saw a brass with no primer, thinking it has been resized, primed it, and loaded it. He found it in the standing stage. From what I saw the case was stuck at the 200 dimension

I have 2 guns chambered in 264 . Both had factory barrels and I could shoot the ammo in both guns no problem. I had the 1 rebarreld I got 50 new cases to use in it some how 1of the old cases got in with the new cases it was the second round so I racked it hard shooting at 2 ground hogs . There is a slight difference in the tolerances in the chamber. I hope that shed light on what happened. Also I tried using the Brownells case puller it was a no go I cranked it tight with pliers but the closet would pop of the lip of the rim. That is how stuck the case is