Stuck case

Lymey

Any thoughts on getting a stuck case out of a sizing die? This is my first one in 35 years of reloading and I don't have a puller.

I found a Phillips screw driver that fit through the die and neck, put said die in a vice and hammered it out. Only worked when I cut the handle off and was able to smack back of steel instead of the plastic handle. Cavemanish but works. Or you could just buy a stuck case remover from rcbs

Stuck case remover kit is the way to go, as stated there are plenty of YouTube vids. Thread the die in upside down after you drill and tap the primer pocket and some oil between the brass and die. Put your collar over the brass, thread in the bolt, and unscrew and will pull the brass out. I haven't had luck trying to bang out my brass with a hammer and steel punch.

I bought the parts from Ace hardware on my 1st stuck case. It was nice to have on hand for my second. My buddy had a stuck case and he used mine with success.

His first stuck case he wound up just throwing out the whole die he was so ticked and couldn't hammer his stuck case out.

DF82D4EB-85FE-4E8C-B1EE-4BD964C48D44.png
6A259C97-5AC0-4AEA-B221-9C2FAD195C8F.png

Last edited:
Stuck case remover kit is the way to go, as stated there are plenty of YouTube vids. Thread the die in upside down after you drill and tap the primer pocket and some oil between the brass and die. Put your collar over the brass, thread in the bolt, and unscrew and will pull the brass out. I haven't had luck trying to bang out my brass with a hammer and steel punch.

I bought the parts from Ace hardware on my 1st stuck case. It was nice to have on hand for my second. My buddy had a stuck case and he used mine with success.

His first stuck case he wound up just throwing out the whole die he was so ticked and couldn't hammer his stuck case out.

View attachment 365220View attachment 365222
Nice kit and good to have it all together when/if needed...

Nice kit and good to have it all together when/if needed...
If you know how too drill and tap , a stuck case remover is simple too make . Take a small piece of pipe that goes over the head of the case that bottoms out on the die , and a washer that bottoms out on the pipe with a 1/4 in bolt . Drill and tap the case put the die in a vise , pull the case very simple , hope that helps.

View attachment 365220View attachment 365222
There you go. Quick trip to local hardware store & then extract the stuck case. I use a socket wrench to turn bolt & hold die with crescent wrench or channel lock pliers after wrapping die with tape to protect it. Make sure tap matches bolt threads. 4 stuck brass cases in 60 years for me - stuff happens. If spray on lube is used, allow it to dry

Put it in the freezer for a few hours then try the red neck stuff. In theory the cold would contract the die and squeeze the case smaller then with a heat gun or torch carefully heat the die and then use various techniques other than a stuck case remover if you don't have one.

Any of yall ever tried a hair dryer on the die for a little bit, had on only once,,,,,knock on wood , and heated the die a little bit and wala , out she came.

Any thoughts on getting a stuck case out of a sizing die? This is my first one in 35 years of reloading and I don't have a puller.
Take the die apart put a steel rod through the top then while pulling the press handle up smack the rod down.

No need to put in a vice, or wrap with anything. Just take out the stem from the die and thread it back in upside down into the press. I just drilled out the pocket and tapped it all while in the press. I bet a lot of guys already have everything they need at the house to make one, or just need a the right sized tap.

I had everything I needed the 1st time except the right tap. I wanted a separate kit all together and didn't want to be short a socket so I bought the ferrule or maybe it was a bearing sleeve or something like that, located in the individual parts section at Ace.

Don't forget to label it with your name so your buddy's get a kick out of it when you loan it out haha 😂
01411F28-1082-4AA5-A375-60EFEA751C9D.jpeg
602FC08E-B5B6-4934-8B09-E3FEB5DF3B1B.jpeg
1B6C1959-B7CA-48D2-9101-0478F37D58F6.jpeg