Reloading stuck case

My buddy got a 378WBY case stuck in his sizing die. He sent the die back to the manufacturer who removed it. The returned die came with a note that said ONLY use Imperial Sizing Wax.
I've been using Imperial Sizing Wax since Redding first recommended it and started putting a tin of it in their die sets. Never had a stuck case or dented shoulders again.

Seems like the colder it gets the worse the spray lubes perform for me. Just yesterday I was sizing some cases and going back and forth between One Shot, RCBS Spray, and the Imperial. By far the most consistent results were with the Imperial. I couldn't get any consistency with the spray's.

..........I know I should be able to get the shell holder to touch the ram but can't...

I guess no one else seen this...

This is why you are having issues closing the bolt, you not sizing your brass fully...

Why the cases are getting stuck is a totally different issue...

What kind of press are you using? There should be no reason you can't get the shell holder to "bump" the die at full stroke!

So I fugue out the problem. It was the lube. Used some lp leather preservative and the difference is night and day! Slides all the way in with 1/2 the effort. Also takes such a small amount. Wipes off fairly easy. I can't believe I was using those two products that are made for this for all these years when there was a better way.

I'm not a fan of the spray lubes.
Me either. Tried it once, still have 90% of a bottle left, and I bought it about 6 years ago, tried it twice, and set it on the back of the bench to collect dust. LOL

Immediately after I tried the spray lube, I was recommended to try the Redding Imperial Sizing Wax. I did, and have never looked back. I highly recommend it.

I haven't used Imperial, but recently started using a sizing wax Hornady makes. Really is the easiest case lube I've ever dealt with. I swipe two fingers on it, rub my fingers together, and it naturally transfers to the case. Depending on the cases/dies I'm using, I can go 8-20 cases before needing more. Comes right off the cases when tumbled. Cases resize easier than with some of the other lubes and I've not had a dented shoulder yet. I always thought sizing waxes would be difficult, messy, and hard to clean. Not the case at all. Don't be afraid to use sizing wax.

I used Hornady spray one time. Threw it away. Complete junk. All I use these days is Imperial wax. Had you been using it, I'll bet a Friday night fish supper in Wisconsin that you never would have stuck that case. On another note, you need to familiarize yourself with the proper tools and procedure to bump your brass .001" - .002" when full length resizing. Right now your just taking a shot in the dark. At some point that will bite you in the ***!

I used Hornady spray one time. Threw it away. Complete junk. All I use these days is Imperial wax. Had you been using it, I'll bet a Friday night fish supper in Wisconsin that you never would have stuck that case. On another note, you need to familiarize yourself with the proper tools and procedure to bump your brass .001" - .002" when full length resizing. Right now your just taking a shot in the dark. At some point that will bite you in the ***!

I do know how to bump the shoulder back and am familiar with it. However for this rifle I have no need for it. Its my wife's rifle. It's a bergara b14 hunter in 30-06. Shoots great. She will only shoot 400 yards so 1 moa is fine. Its a hunting rifle. I do know that brass last longer when bumping but in my experience primer pockets losses up before the brass splits. Just my .02

I do know how to bump the shoulder back and am familiar with it. However for this rifle I have no need for it. Its my wife's rifle. It's a bergara b14 hunter in 30-06. Shoots great. She will only shoot 400 yards so 1 moa is fine. Its a hunting rifle. I do know that brass last longer when bumping but in my experience primer pockets losses up before the brass splits. Just my .02
I may have misunderstood part of what you meant when you said that "the bolt was hard to close". IMHO it is proper reloading practice to measure FL resized brass for base to shoulder measurement. It is not only for longer brass life, but excessive shoulder bump can cause a fail to fire situation. Ask me how I know :D.

Yeah the bolt was hard to close because it was stretching the body and not bumping the shoulder. I still can't believe that I have been using those horrible products for this long!

what are you using for lube? there not all equil.
I've tried just about all of them with varying degrees of success but I'm pretty much exclusively using the Hornady One shot spray now.

I stand them up in the reloading tray and shoot them from the sized at about a 45deg angle from two or three directions and then let them sit long enough to dry.

If you don't let them sit long enough to dry you'll get yourself in trouble pretty quick. Drying just takes a couple of minutes usually and then you're good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.