damage to bore by cleaning rod: Myth or reallity

buck5611

I read in a magazine that an aluminum rod can damage a barrel while cleaning. How could this be possible since aluminum is lot softer than steel and that the rubbing force are may be a million time less than the force made by a single bullet ( wich is at first more hard than the cleaning rod) shot at great speed.
When two metals of different hardness rubb against each other, the softer one will wear out, not the harder one, like in a bushing.

From what i have read until now thre are different shools of tought concerning this. What do you guys think of it???

Softer metals will become imbedded with grit, carbon etc. much quicker than hard metals. The soft metal rods then become "laps", carrying the grit to your bore.

A rifles accuracy can be affected negatively by improper use of a cleaning rod or attachment!

Use a guide for the ONE piece rod and do not pull a jag or brush back across the crown. The most common damage is to the crown.

I think Lilja's site has comments on this. Most big name barrel makers provide some instruction on cleaning.

Hello,

A lot of new shooters stroke their barrels too fast with the cleaning rods. This can damage the bore at the end of the barrel and also the crown. Sometimes, you cannot see it with the naked eye. My first benchrest barrel was a victim of this.

James

A cleaning rod can and will damage a bore, that is why anybody that has a clue to how to clean a gun wont attempt it with out a bore guide, and most likely a 1 piece coated rod.
UB

I believe damage can be done by Rods. I have seen too many agg. winning 1000 yard barrels stop shooting before there time. I believe two thing cause this. Carbon in the throat and wear from cleaning rod. When you look through barrels with the bore scope 6 0'clock is where the most wear is. I believe it is from unburned power across the throat and the weight of the rod helping to wear. Not to mention what can happen to the crown.

I don't buy it...damaging the bore that is.

But it would be possible (and easy) to damage the crown with a rod or attachment.

That said I have not used a "rod" in over 20 years...Back about 1986 or 87 I bought one if these... MidwayUSA - Otis Deluxe Rifle and Pistol Cleaning System ...

I still have every piece...my wife bought me a new one for Christmas, but its still in the box...I'll leave it there until the old one breaks, which I don't see happening for a long while yet.

20 years of clean, undamaged barrels for $20...what more can I say.

I can't say anything bad about the OTIS cleaning method, I use a couple of them, but I use a bore scope and know that from time to time all my match barrels need a good scubbing and I don't think the OTIS system will do it. I think it would be great for the item to take on a hunting trip or some normal cleaning for most hunting rifles or for a 22 RF. I have shot ten of thousands of rounds in matches and prefer the single piece rod for cleaning those rifles. The real purpose of the bore scope was to check cleaning procedures for match rifles. The bore scope will easily identify whether cleaning regime is working and can give you a good look at the crown also.

I don't buy it...damaging the bore that is.

But it would be possible (and easy) to damage the crown with a rod or attachment.

That said I have not used a "rod" in over 20 years...Back about 1986 or 87 I bought one if these... MidwayUSA - Otis Deluxe Rifle and Pistol Cleaning System ...

I still have every piece...my wife bought me a new one for Christmas, but its still in the box...I'll leave it there until the old one breaks, which I don't see happening for a long while yet.

20 years of clean, undamaged barrels for $20...what more can I say.

Whether you believe it or not, lots of good barrels have been ruined by improper cleaning rod technique and lack of bore guides. That is why the bore guide business is still going strong.

LV

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.