Cerakote Oven, what are you using?

Where did you get that info from? Never had any issues with Benchmark or Bart at 300°
Not saying you're wrong, just never heard it before
So I had an industry friend ask me about 6 weeks ago what temps we were using. I told him we did EVERYTHING at 300* and never had any issues. That very next week, we had 2 barrels with problems. The CF receded from the metal on both ends. I was then told that the adhesive compound that Bart and Bnchmrk use are different. I have not confirmed that, but I can tell you for certain we won't be baking them at 300* again.

So I had an industry friend ask me about 6 weeks ago what temps we were using. I told him we did EVERYTHING at 300* and never had any issues. That very next week, we had 2 barrels with problems. The CF receded from the metal on both ends. I was then told that the adhesive compound that Bart and Bnchmrk use are different. I have not confirmed that, but I can tell you for certain we won't be baking them at 300* again.
Very interesting. I've done probably 1/2 dozen of each without issue. Guess it's worth a call to the manufacturer to ask what they recommend. Thanks for the insight

Where did you get that info from? Never had any issues with Benchmark or Bart at 300°
Not saying you're wrong, just never heard it before
Here's another thread I found after a quick search:

I just use and old kitchen oven with a good thermocouple for temperature readout for the short stuff. It was cheap and easy to cure Cerakote everything but barrels.

I would be suspect of any carbon that requires low heat for the cure of a finish. In my industry, we constantly use high temperature cures on, around and over previously cured carbon. Our standard practice is to never exceed the previous composite cure temp, usually dropping by 5% up to 10% of original cure temperature, regardless of the type of material, carbon, Kevlar or fiberglass.

I am very curious now what resin they use to impregnate their carbon fiber filament or blanket depending on the composition of the material.

I am also curious about the way they cure these wrapped barrels. There are processes that extend the cure time and decrease the cure temperature at the same time.

I wish these companies would be more forthcoming with this type of information, allowing the consumer to make a much more informed decision.

Mine is similar to CPGfan, used a stack on gun safe but uses the half inch insulation board and it fit into the door and I just use the key and latch like normal. Heating element on bricks in the bottom and digital controls that I can set temp and time so I can set it and forget it.

Ya, don't ramp up the heat on any CF barrel, even a Proof will delaminate or loosen from the core.

I am looking into Cerakote ovens and see one by Light Armor that is decent is price and wanted to see if anyone has used this company and what they think about there Ovens? Also, if there are better ones out there, what are you guys using for Cerakoting? Thanks in advance.

We have been using a light armor for a few years. It works great. I don't remember the model, but this a pic from when we installed it.
Pic.jpg

Interesting you say that about proofs, I spoke w their engineers when I first started running their carbon barrels. Their recommendations were to cure at 300° for an hour. That's what they said they did w their in house rifles

We have been using a light armor for a few years. It works great. I don't remember the model, but this a pic from when we installed it.
View attachment 364654
Very nice, you wish it had the wheels for mobility? What about the outside of the unit, does it get warm? The reason I ask, this is going in my Garage and the outlet is next to the interior wall with wood paneling.

If anyone is interested in making a DYI Oven we have some extra New Parts from when we made an oven. Electronics and Box. If interested PM me and we could make a deal since we don't need these items. The first oven we built was with a Western Steel Cabinet 24"x20"x70". PDF attached.

Inkbird F Display PID Temperature Controllers Thermostat ITC-106VH K Sensor Heat Sink and Solid State Relay 100 to 240V 40DA SSR Black Heat Sink K Probe
Sold by: Inkbird Product question? Ask Seller
Return and product support eligibility
$39.99
Condition: New

ARCTIC MX-4 - Thermal Compound Paste For Coolers | Heat Sink Paste | Composed of Carbon Micro-particles | Easy to Apply | High Durability - 4 Grams
Sold by: Teng Jia
Return window closed on Mar 25, 2021
$12.99
BUD Industries NBF-32016 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box - Electrical Box for Indoor Uses - Industrial Box in Light Grey Finish with Solid Door Construction. Conduit and Fittings
Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
Return window closed on Mar 25, 2021
$27.92

Attachments

• Western Steel.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Basically I just bought a stack on cabinet, removed the shelf as well as the door hardware. Bought 2" insulation for the top and bottom, 1 1/2" for the sides and installed .026" thick sheet metal over all the insulation. Used 1" kiln insulation for the inside of the door and installed new hardware on the outside of the door to keep it tightly closed. Drilled holes in the upper end of the cabinet to install 2 rows of all thread for hanging and used a smoker element with adjustable temperature controls. Installed 2 bbq thermometers on the door to check heat at top and bottom of the unit. Has no problem holding 300° even when the garage is less than 32°. For the money it has been a great investment.
I did basically the same thing when I built mine with the exception of the temp control. I used a PID for the temp control. The smoker heat elements are perfect and the stack on cabinet is easily converted. I have been using mine for about 5 years.