Cerakote Oven, what are you using?

Kmccord

I am looking into Cerakote ovens and see one by Light Armor that is decent is price and wanted to see if anyone has used this company and what they think about there Ovens? Also, if there are better ones out there, what are you guys using for Cerakoting? Thanks in advance.

Used a free from Craigslist oven in the shop for small parts.

Have built some janky one off boxes for some long barrels out of ply lined with exhaust wrap. Hard part is temp stability, this falls project is to build another with some circulation to even the heat.

I am looking into Cerakote ovens and see one by Light Armor that is decent is price and wanted to see if anyone has used this company and what they think about there Ovens? Also, if there are better ones out there, what are you guys using for Cerakoting? Thanks in advance.
There are some posts on LRH Myself and others have put on last year. Also Utubes on the web for DYI.
I bought a metal locker, heating strips & electronics off Amazon. To purchase a decent already made one will cost about $2K. A DYI is $6-800.
Insulation is expensive to get SHEET Hard insulation.
To be honest I am a DYI and make most of our equipment. If having to do it again I would buy one already made. if possible, If you have the money get the Light Armor (or similar) 2.5'x3.5'x5' for $2k + ship. Plenty big enough for all your Cerakote needs.

Last edited:
I converted a metal cabinet for drying finishes on wood for my dad. A simple thermocouple controller, a heavy duty relay, fire bricks, heat lamp bulbs and a way to hang items without affecting finish and you are there.

40 amp controller is less than $40, the rest from Craigslist or Facebook market place.

2AA0F451-0EFD-4C1D-8474-04BA1B75ABFE.png
D6D133E1-CCF2-43D0-8017-C257D1B87489.png

My neighbor was a commercial caterer and I bought a warming oven from him. It will hold temps well over 300 degrees and will accommodate 26" barreled actions. It's on wheels and can be rolled around. If I needed another oven I'd scour the ends of the world looking for another.

An old coke machine with an oven heating element works awesome.

My DIY oven was to take a 4 drawer filing cabinet, cut it in half front to back and use the remaining sheet metal to create a door. I used a toaster oven at the base. I lined the base near the element with heat resistant insulation and then used a couple layers of the reflective insulation for the upper part. I keep the drawer hardware for the upper drawer so I could rack parts and then slide them into the oven. It was a lot of work but I'm very happy with it. I only needed a metal cutting blade for a grinder, tin snips, and self drilling screws. The toaster oven has a built in timer so I can set it and forget it. I got the oven and cabinet on Craigslist for $30. I'm planning to add a recirculation fan at some point.

I built one out of plywood matching the dimensions of an electric smoker, just taller for barreled actions. I went and bought the same element that was in my smoker and used that. Sprayed the inside with high temp reflective paint and lined the lower portion and the door in aluminum foil. Works great. I can fit up to 3 guns inside hanging on wire. And it holds temp just fine. I've had it up to 350 to bake on the paint the first time i used it, but for my needs I keep it at 300 or lower.

Please tell me more about this set up.
Basically I just bought a stack on cabinet, removed the shelf as well as the door hardware. Bought 2" insulation for the top and bottom, 1 1/2" for the sides and installed .026" thick sheet metal over all the insulation. Used 1" kiln insulation for the inside of the door and installed new hardware on the outside of the door to keep it tightly closed. Drilled holes in the upper end of the cabinet to install 2 rows of all thread for hanging and used a smoker element with adjustable temperature controls. Installed 2 bbq thermometers on the door to check heat at top and bottom of the unit. Has no problem holding 300° even when the garage is less than 32°. For the money it has been a great investment.

Recent Posts