Hearing protection - What do you use?

Wile E Coyote

If I may ask, what does everyone use for hearing protection while shooting? And Hunting? Here's why I ask.

I have been using a pr. of Peltor electronic muffs with little in the way of problems. Every once in a while they would get bumped slightly off my right ear when getting into position on the stock but they could always be reset before firing the shot. This is what happened Wednesday past at the range when, at that exact moment they were off the ear, someone next to me lit the fuse on a braked 300something or other magnum less than 8' to my right. To which I replied (censored).

Today, the audio Doc (A) told me that I will be lucky to get back 50% of my hearing in the right ear when it and if it returns and when the ringing diminishes. And (B) has warned me, quite strongly I might add, to wear both rubber plugs AND a tighter fitting muff when ever I'm anywhere near anything any kind of loud. This I will do. However I really do/ did like the amplification of the Peltor muff while hunting. I would just wear them all the time while hunting with the gain turned up a couple clicks. Rubber plugs under the Peltor will defeat this feature though I may just wear one in the right (damaged) ear.

Does anyone have another solution to continuing to use the hearing enhancement feature of the muff or am I "So Out of Luck"? A different brand or type of hearing protection?

Thanks
Pete​

I wear reusable earplugs on a string. It takes less than 10 seconds to put them in. I would rather take the few extra seconds to place in the plugs than blow out my hearing. There is no animal worth lost hearing period.

Thanks. I'm just back from another trip to the Doc where I asked the same question about what to use, brands, specs and anything else. Her answer was; for the time being to just use plain ole single use rubber insert plugs with a pair of non-electronic industrial muffs over them when near anything loud. Loud is defined as anything more than normal conversation. The idea being to wait and see how much hearing capability returns. Today there is almost nothing in my right ear. (wife eludes to this every once in a while with a different meaning but I digress) No point in spending big $$$ for something that I might never benefit from.

Now for the really good news! Doc limited my hunting to "archery only" until some of that healing takes place. ... could be a couple more weeks or it could be the rest of the year into next Spring. She'll let me know when. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her I bang tin (sheet metal duct work) once in a while at work. I'm just trying to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Pete

After many years of chasing a "satisfactory" solution to hearing protection and trying to find a combination that allows for some increased hearing ability in the field while hunting I've concluded that:
I either want to protect my hearing or enhance sound detection in the field. There is no way to serve both masters.
At the range, where the more mature and courteous shooters usually alert the neighboring benches to the fact that they're running a brake on a BIG bore rifle, I use both foam plugs and my Pro Ears Pro 200 muffs. I use the same setup in competition. I had to learn how to obtain a proper cheek weld on the stock without pushing the muffs off my ears but that didn't take very long.
In the field I use the muffs alone. I sometimes stalk without the muffs but when the target is eminent the muffs go back on before I take the shot. What if the target disappears in the process? I hunt for another target. Hunting is, after all, about the hunt; not the kill. We only get one set of ears. My hearing loss is moderate and I'm working very hard to prevent it from become severe. :D

I have pretty severe tinnitus and have been through about every combo of hearing protection you can think of that is under 500 bucks. Right now my go to is a set of old fashioned foam plugs underneath a set of ProEars. If I am shooting a bunch I wear foam plugs under a set of 26 NRR muffs. I make sure the foams are properly inserted and the muffs are tight. You hear a slight clunk when the gun goes off, but it tames it down considerably. I would love to get a set of custom plugs, but there are many that are well over 3k. Looking back, I should have just pulled the trigger on a set before I started experimenting with all the other models. One thing is for sure, if you think your hearing will hold up after being exposed to rifle shots (braked or unbraked) you are sorely mistaken. This remark isn't aimed at the OP or meant to be snide, just trying to help folk make wise choices when it comes to hearing protection. I still have close friends who don't wear plugs or muffs when hunting and think it's okay. As others that have tinnitus and other hearing issues are well aware, it's definitely not worth the risk!

... Looking back, I should have just pulled the trigger on a set before I started experimenting with all the other models. One thing is for sure, if you think your hearing will hold up after being exposed to rifle shots (braked or unbraked) you are sorely mistaken. This remark isn't aimed at the OP or meant to be snide, just trying to help folk make wise choices when it comes to hearing protection. I still have close friends who don't wear plugs or muffs when hunting and think it's okay. As others that have tinnitus and other hearing issues are well aware, it's definitely not worth the risk!

You touch on the very reason I posted this. I too have friends who hunt and shoot w/o any hearing protection. And I have to raise my hand as also guilty.

In the situation last week where I was hurt, in my opinion, there was nothing done malicious or negligently. The range I was at, has the benches closer to each other than most and I've been shooting there for years. By no means was this the first time I was adjacent to this, or other braked rifles when fired. The shooter next to me DID announce he was about to fire; I was getting on my gun to spot his hit. Unfortunately for me, that was the exact moment when the ear protection I had was not on my head properly and the gun was fired. It was at that moment when my ability to hear went from really good to "we'll have to wait and see." I also got to use that new overpriced health insurance I have this year! But that's another story.

My purpose in posting this is to have those who take the time to read this, understand that it only took a second to have a problem and a serious one at that. I'm not trying to sell anyone's product nor demand that anyone wear hearing protection. Those are your (the reader's of this thread) choice's alone.

Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 32
You touch on the very reason I posted this. I too have friends who hunt and shoot w/o any hearing protection. And I have to raise my hand as also guilty.

In the situation last week where I was hurt, in my opinion, there was nothing done malicious or negligently. The range I was at, has the benches closer to each other than most and I've been shooting there for years. By no means was this the first time I was adjacent to this, or other braked rifles when fired. The shooter next to me DID announce he was about to fire; I was getting on my gun to spot his hit. Unfortunately for me, that was the exact moment when the ear protection I had was not on my head properly and the gun was fired. It was at that moment when my ability to hear went from really good to "we'll have to wait and see." I also got to use that new overpriced health insurance I have this year! But that's another story.

My purpose in posting this is to have those who take the time to read this, understand that it only took a second to have a problem and a serious one at that. I'm not trying to sell anyone's product nor demand that anyone wear hearing protection. Those are your (the reader's of this thread) choice's alone.

Pete

You bet. I am glad this post is up here. Even if one person makes the conscious decision to start using ear protection when shooting it will be worth it.

Anyone check out these? They are pricey, but they look well built. Distributed by Audiologists. My next big purchase needs to be these before I do anything else.
Shooting Ear Protection | Digital Hearing Protection

Of course I say that and I just realized I just bought a **** chronograph!

Earinc/Insta-Mold - Worldwide provider of customized earplugs for hearing protection and communication systems

I shoot registered skeet and probably shoot from 15000 to 18000 targets a year(practice and registered combined) as well as staying proficeint with my hand guns and rifles. I use the custom molded ear plugs for shooting skeet and add muffs for the rifle range. While hunting I typically just use my molded ear plugs before taking the shot. While on a coyote stand there in from the beginning of the stand.

I too have significant tinnitus as well as a considerable loss of hearing in my left ear. Using these methods have allowed me to shoot on a regular basis without a noticeable increase in the ringing in my ears and no significant additiional loss of hearing with regular hearing tests.

Hearing loss and I have been mortal enemies for about 20 years. I use Walker ITC Game Ears (I think they were about $700 when I bought them over a decade ago--not sure they are still on the market) and love them. Wind noise can be a problem, but when hunting upland birds, ducks, or doves, I keep them in for the hunt. Lots of spare batteries litter my hunting gear. For big game, I (until this year) used some foamies-on-a-curved-stick from Home Depot that hang around my neck and go on in a few seconds just before I (or the Wife) shoots. Now I just use a SpecWar 762...a pricey but worthwhile investment.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.