hearing protection

I went to a large trap shoot and there was a guy there that made plugs to fit and molded into the ear canal,this is the second set after many years of shooting with and with out brakes and they still allow enough hearing to carry on a conversation.I am very happy with them and I've been using this style for about 35 years.cost is between 65-100 depending on some options

It's never too early to start protecting your hearing. I always use custom fit solid earplugs from Nu-life hearing centre, a hearing clinic near Bowmanville that guarantee maximum hearing protection for me as a hunter and a shooter. Such products will surely protect the hearing. Only thing is that make sure to get the ones that guarantee maximum hearing protection.

I was out shooting my 300 win mag with a muzzle break today and was wearing my foam earplugs and it got me wondering in the fall when I'm hunting deer or elk am I going to wear these foam earplugs or are the electronic hearing protection aids available on the market better suited for spot and stalk type of hunting. I made the mistake of shooting that rifle 1 time without hearing protection and wont do it again. I have never shot a rifle with earmuff type of protection before. Do earmuffs interfere with your cheek weld to the stock? what are your experiences ( good or bad ) with them or do you just prefer foam plugs. thank you.

I know this is an older thread but the next hunting season will be here before we know it.

I spent the 1st 10 years of my USAF career in the flightline where the noise level is 120dB and up. Not sure if they still used the same PPE but we used to foamies + earmuffs. My hearing took a dive due prolonged exposure to loud noises but when I left the flightline in 1996, it improved significantly.

Not the perfect solution for your situation but I use a balaclava (IIRC, I paid $10 for it a few years ago) on spot and stalk hunting, it works like cupping your hands over your ears and still allow you to hear the game.

16438_1154131175415_1291767130_3038.jpg

For the LR shots, I have plenty of time to don my PPE for the shot.

Something to ponder: Not often or many shots, but I practice without hearing protection too ... for my CCW. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.