Caliber help

sniperjwt

Im thinking of buying a new barrel for one of my savage rifles. I would like it to be a target first then hunting second rifle. I would like it in the 6mm/243 caliber. Right now i am leaning towart a McGowan 30" in 243 Ackley Improved. Are there any other calibers out there that i should consider. I am wanting to shoot the heavy 115grain bullets. I already have a 6BR and 6.5x284 so those calibers are out. I have read that the 243AI will almost match the 6.5x284 when shooting the heavy 115g bullets. Anyone own the 243AI and have any pros or cons to it. Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Im thinking of buying a new barrel for one of my savage rifles. I would like it to be a target first then hunting second rifle. I would like it in the 6mm/243 caliber. Right now i am leaning towart a McGowan 30" in 243 Ackley Improved. Are there any other calibers out there that i should consider. I am wanting to shoot the heavy 115grain bullets. I already have a 6BR and 6.5x284 so those calibers are out. I have read that the 243AI will almost match the 6.5x284 when shooting the heavy 115g bullets. Anyone own the 243AI and have any pros or cons to it. Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Is it a long action? if so I would go 6mm-06 AI for the heavy stuff. My 6-06 will send a 95gr VLD down the tube at 3500 FPS and that is as heavy as I get with a 1:10 non-AI. I think a better choice would be a 6mm duster (6mm WSM) if your looking for speed and heavy bullets on a short action. otherwise all the 6mm's are close, 243AI, 6mmAI, 6x284, 6XC etc... It's really just splitting hairs. For target rifle I would lean towards a 6XC.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.