Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being argumentative. I hate wasting barrel life so I've built a 308 like everyone else to practice with. Without a brake, it mimics my noslers, rum and almost edge with their respective brakes.

Not being argumentative. I hate wasting barrel life so I've built a 308 like everyone else to practice with. Without a brake, it mimics my noslers, rum and almost edge with their respective brakes.
Yes, we all have one. AND thats the whole point of what i have been saying. For awhile anyway this will be the op's only rifle. He's recovering from a divorce for heavens sake!!!

Yes, we all have one. AND thats the whole point of what i have been saying. For awhile anyway this will be the op's only rifle. He's recovering from a divorce for heavens sake!!!
Well now that you put it that way, maybe the Lapua isn't a bad choice... sounds like hes already used to getting kicked in the nutz lol :D

You guys just made me change my outlook on the 28.

NOT the best choice if you are only going to own only one rifle but an incredible choice if you limit the rounds you fire from it and shoot your other guns, etc.

Lind of like a Ferrari....you're not taking it shopping, back and forth to work, or putting your dog in the front seat next to you with his head hanging out of the window, but when you drive it doing what it was designed to do there is nothing better than it;)

Sorry, just had to

giphy.gif

Wow, the 28 cal, no matter what cartridge it is being fired from, will NEVER grow in size to match the diameter of the 30 cal.
This, is reason enough that I do not, will not and will never recommend it. I will also NEVER own one.

If you compare the highest BC hunting bullets in both cals, an apple's to apple's comparison ALWAYS gives the win to 30 cal for ENERGY.

NUFF SAID.
IF you believe diameter is king, you are mistaken. Growing in size isn't necessarily even a good thing. The larger you grow, the longer you must go to achieve those hi BC's. The larger/longer the bullet, the faster you MUST shoot it to expand in a similar form as a smaller bullet, much less forceful customization to even load those bullets. This adds even MORE recoil. If the goal is to kill, then tissue disruption, vital organ disruption, nervous system disruption would be the target, not solely penetration. Kinetic Energy is the only factor you seem to consider. Your are not considering Potential Energy whatsoever. So, what if a 215 .30 cal has more KE out of the Muzzle over a 195 .284 shooting the same speed? The 195 .284 carries WAY more PE due to exact reason your stating is hindering it...lol. The KE isnt much different, but the PE due to the diameter + Velocity + KE is in fact MORE than a .30 cal in MOST circumstances. The benefits almost ALWAYS lean to the .284. Less wind drift. Less drop. Lower recoil. The list goes on and on. There is a sweet spot in ballistics at the .284 that most don't realize.

For you to NEVER recommend a .284 to anyone is mind blowing, seeing that a .284 technically is better at Tissue disruption than a 30 cal assuming, like you stated, we are comparing apples to apples lol. Not to mention everything else I just touched on.

If you want complete pass through, shoot a .30 cal. If you want to blow up the nervous system, you shoot a .284. NUFF SAID ;)

Dude shows up with his "Hunting Rig" (28) and is the first person to shoot the Milk Jug at 1 mile on 9th shot.

a 28 Nosler is the ticket Folks, sorry. Had to

1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby

Any of these will kill Elk and fast, I know that a 300 Win mag works great but so do the 7mm and 270 cartridges.

I know the 280 Rem, 7 Rem Mag, 270 Win and the 7 SAUM kill Elk fast and effectively. They drop on the spot with the right bullet placed where it needs to be.

IF you believe diameter is king, you are mistaken. Growing in size isn't necessarily even a good thing. The larger you grow, the longer you must go to achieve those hi BC's. The larger/longer the bullet, the faster you MUST shoot it to expand in a similar form as a smaller bullet, much less forceful customization to even load those bullets. This adds even MORE recoil. If the goal is to kill, then tissue disruption, vital organ disruption, nervous system disruption would be the target, not solely penetration. Kinetic Energy is the only factor you seem to consider. Your are not considering Potential Energy whatsoever. So, what if a 215 .30 cal has more KE out of the Muzzle over a 195 .284 shooting the same speed? The 195 .284 carries WAY more PE due to exact reason your stating is hindering it...lol. The KE isnt much different, but the PE due to the diameter + Velocity + KE is in fact MORE than a .30 cal in MOST circumstances. The benefits almost ALWAYS lean to the .284. Less wind drift. Less drop. Lower recoil. The list goes on and on. There is a sweet spot in ballistics at the .284 that most don't realize.

For you to NEVER recommend a .284 to anyone is mind blowing, seeing that a .284 technically is better at Tissue disruption than a 30 cal assuming, like you stated, we are comparing apples to apples lol. Not to mention everything else I just touched on.

If you want complete pass through, shoot a .30 cal. If you want to blow up the nervous system, you shoot a .284. NUFF SAID ;)
Belief is NOT fact.
I KNOW diameter is KING for a FACT.

All of your comments are based on YOUR beliefs.
Everything you have said about the 28 Nosler being some magical cartridge is pure HOGWASH.
It does nothing the 7STW has been doing for 30 years.

NOTHING BEATS SECTIONAL DENSITY.

NUFF SAID.

Belief is NOT fact.

Everything you have said about the 28 Nosler being some magical cartridge is pure HOGWASH.

NUFF SAID.

I am not going to participate in the which caliber is best argument but I have to point out that you just completely contradicted yourself.

Which is it Diameter is king?

OR

Sectional density is king?

I think you and I agree on the point you are trying to make but not the way you stated.

I would take a 195 grain 7 over a 150 grain 30 every day. For that matter I would take a 195 grain 7 over a 195 grain 30 every day in an oversimplified statement.

Belief is NOT fact.

NUFF SAID.
LOL ---- Ya, NO. Sorry. What a TURD response to my comments. Claiming my facts aren't true because its not what YOU Understand, followed by your BELIEFS, not facts. Oh the Irony. Go ahead and inform us on how you KNOW im incorrect.

Ill Wait......

I am not going to participate in the which caliber is best argument but I have to point out that you just completely contradicted yourself.

Which is it Diameter is king?

OR

Sectional density is king?

I think you and I agree on the point you are trying to make but not the way you stated.

I would take a 195 grain 7 over a 150 grain 30 every day. For that matter I would take a 195 grain 7 over a 195 grain 30 every day in an oversimplified statement.
Theres an apples to apples comparison. You're right. Take the 7 every day of the week. Even tho Diameter king said its no good lol

Well, there you go comparing apple's to oranges.

ANYBODY can take a bullet weight in one cal and compare it to a similar weight in another and make THEIR choice look the goods.

I am not continuing with this thread.

28 Nosler rules.......

SMH.

Well, there you go comparing apple's to oranges.

ANYBODY can take a bullet weight in one cal and compare it to a similar weight in another and make THEIR choice look the goods.

I am not continuing with this thread.

28 Nosler rules.......

SMH.
No....you said diameter is king. It's not about one "looking" better than the other. 195 vs 195 is a fair comparison since .30 cal has the upper hand with your "diameter" being King Argument. You see where that argument falls flat? Come with facts please. Yours are hitting about as hard as that .204 Ruger we chatted about earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.