Caliber help needed!!

Southernboy2563

I recently have aquired a savage 110 long action that I wann do a custom build on. I live in south carolina so deer and hogs are all that I'll be huntin with it. The longest shot I can take is around 700 yards but one day might be more. I'm torn between a 7mm mag, 280 ai, 264 win mag, or possibly a 30-06. The first three are what I'm really interested in because I already have an assortment of projectiles for each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Those are 4 real good ones, hard to go wrong with any of them. I prefer the .284 choices but any will do the job. Pick a favorite and rock on.

Good luck

I recently have aquired a savage 110 long action that I wann do a custom build on. I live in south carolina so deer and hogs are all that I'll be huntin with it. The longest shot I can take is around 700 yards but one day might be more. I'm torn between a 7mm mag, 280 ai, 264 win mag, or possibly a 30-06. The first three are what I'm really interested in because I already have an assortment of projectiles for each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not a hard choice with the parameter you've set. For me; I go with the .264 Win Mag with a 26" inch plus barrel, 27 1/2" inch would be nice for that case capacity.

good luck.

So if I change to one if the magnum calibers I'll have to change the bolt head correct? It's currently a 270 win. And would I have to do anything to the magazine to make
A magnum cartridge feed right? Thanks guys

So if I change to one if the magnum calibers I'll have to change the bolt head correct? It's currently a 270 win. And would I have to do anything to the magazine to make
A magnum cartridge feed right? Thanks guys

Yes.. bolt face and possible the magazine rails will need to be touched a little, both are easy jobs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.