Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,
Guys I love in a state where I can hunt elk every year with an over the counter tag . However I will have to put in to draw a deer tag which I will do but I know It will take a while to draw. Help me decide on caliber for my new rifle. Two years ago I went through a divorce and sold my rifles to fund my attorney. Now I am on my feet and ready to get back in the game a put some animals on the ground!! I just need your help!! Thank you so much

Darrin

The bottom line is the bigger the bullet the faster it is going to put an animal down especially elk. I personally lean towards heavy for caliber with high bc because I often take longer shots and the bc rules in the wind.

This thread now sounds like the CM guys touting superiority over the 300WM. With your thinking i could pick the right bullets in both and prove a 300RUM retains more energy than a 338lapua and therefore a better killer. Those in the know would laugh me out of here. The RUM has more killing power than the 28. Doesnt mean the 28 isnt enough most of the time. There is not much difference. Thats why so many 300's are now 338 edges. The 195 is a specialty bullet that requires an 8 twist, non standard throat and a streched oal to take advantage of. Same as the very heavy LD bullets in the RUM. With the 195's the 28 needs a 3.6 or longer mag. 3.85 gives it some room. Nothing like the 3.35 factory length. The nosler rifles are at their best with bullets in the 160gr range. 175's are seated very deeply. Sorry to rain on your parade.

This thread now sounds like the CM guys touting superiority over the 300WM. With your thinking i could pick the right bullets in both and prove a 300RUM retains more energy than a 338lapua and therefore a better killer. Those in the know would laugh me out of here. The RUM has more killing power than the 28. Doesnt mean the 28 isnt enough most of the time. There is not much difference. Thats why so many 300's are now 338 edges. The 195 is a specialty bullet that requires an 8 twist, non standard throat and a streched oal to take advantage of. Same as the very heavy LD bullets in the RUM. With the 195's the 28 needs a 3.6 or longer mag. 3.85 gives it some room. Nothing like the 3.35 factory length. The nosler rifles are at their best with bullets in the 160gr range. 175's are seated very deeply. Sorry to rain on your parade.

No. Factory rifles ARE being produced that can shoot the 195,197,180. Browning makes the Xbolt long range in a 8 twist that has a factory Mag COAL of 3.6. They can be dremeled out to 3.75-ish. That 195 will hit the lands around 3.66 so you dont need all that much. 195 Getting 3100-3120 at that COAL also. Completely different than what you would have to do to a 300RUM to shoot a 4 inch bomb. Apples to Apples if you want to truly shoot the absolute highest with the MAX coal possible w/extended throats and such, the same modifications need to be made to BOTH rifles, not just the 28.

#PARADESTILLROCKING

COGNITIVE DISSONANCE

All the 300 Fans / DIAMETER KINGS / "No replacement for displacement" guys are feeling this right now...lol

Hurry, go scour the internet to prove me wrong!!!!!! Hahaha

Ill Wait....

Same thing Happened with the Ford Ecoboost at first...

you mean the rear of the mag to be milled and the bolt stop to be shortened... no thanks lol

No. Factory rifles ARE being produced that can shoot the 195,197,180. Browning makes the Xbolt long range in a 8 twist that has a factory Mag COAL of 3.6. They can be dremeled out to 3.75-ish. That 195 will hit the lands around 3.66 so you dont need all that much. 195 Getting 3100-3120 at that COAL also. Completely different than what you would have to do to a 300RUM to shoot a 4 inch bomb. Apples to Apples if you want to truly shoot the absolute highest with the MAX coal possible w/extended throats and such, the same modifications need to be made to BOTH rifles, not just the 28.

#PARADESTILLROCKING

So fiddling with the mag on a 300 RUM is a non starter for you but doing the same with a 28 is just fine? It sounds like you like the 28. Thats fine. Is it better than a RUM. maybe, maybe not we can cherry pick the data all we want and arrive at what ever conclusion we desire. It doesnt prove a **** thing though. 300 Rum or 28 Nosler whats the difference? Really? Little more energy here or there. Little more elevation or wind. Both offer extreme performance that most people don't require.

I'm actually a really nice Feller in person...I promise ;)
Just like talking gun control to a liberal. Ithe Browning LR rifles are not set up to SAAMI specs like the other factory rifles. Everything changes if you compare standard twists, mags, and chambers of both. Apples to apples. I will give you this, the 28 is easier to both shoot well and spot your hits. I have both and the difference is noticeable. Less powder and bullet wt. My 28 is new, but i killed a lot of animals with both the STW's i had and it is the same thing. Mine really shoots well, and its going hunting in the morning. The RUM is also my second one with a 30-378 in between. Muzzle Blast on that one is stupid. None of any of this has anything to do with the OP ther than i am sticking by everything i have said and the 28 is a poor choice for the OP for the reasons i have explained earlier.

So fiddling with the mag on a 300 RUM is a non starter for you but doing the same with a 28 is just fine? It sounds like you like the 28. Thats fine. Is it better than a RUM. maybe, maybe not we can cherry pick the data all we want and arrive at what ever conclusion we desire. It doesnt prove a *Rule 4 Violation* thing though. 300 Rum or 28 Nosler whats the difference? Really? Little more energy here or there. Little more elevation or wind. Both offer extreme performance that most people don't require.

Dremeling 1/8th inch on a Magazine isnt as invasive as Milling the rear of the mag and shortening bolt stop.You know that, yet you still want to argue a point. No data has been cherry picked, my argument has always just been factual. And yes, It would prove something lol. Ballistics prove everything. Little more here are there all add up to something. Does everyone here require it? NO. But this is a LONG RANGE HUNTING FORUM. This aint TEDS TARGET PRACTICE down in Virginia shooting 150+ MAX. You (I) come to this site to talk LRH and ballistical data, DOPE charts and Deer Farts. Leave Grandpas 30-06 talk for 24HRCampfire...

Just like talking gun control to a liberal. Ithe Browning LR rifles are not set up to SAAMI specs like the other factory rifles. Everything changes if you compare standard twists, mags, and chambers of both. Apples to apples. I will give you this, the 28 is easier to both shoot well and spot your hits. I have both and the difference is noticeable. Less powder and bullet wt. My 28 is new, but i killed a lot of animals with both the STW's i had and it is the same thing. Mine really shoots well, and its going hunting in the morning. The RUM is also my second one with a 30-378 in between. Muzzle Blast on that one is stupid. None of any of this has anything to do with the OP ther than i am sticking by everything i have said and the 28 is a poor choice for the OP for the reasons i have explained earlier.

See there we go with the "IF" thing again. We cant have a true Apples to Apples when someone keeps coming in with "IF". Its either we compare Factory rifles or Custom, there is no other way to get close to an accurate comparison without doing that. BUT in BOTH scenarios, the 28 lb for lb wins. Im getting you closer with every post ORANGE DUST. Lets take that step together and come to the same conclusion. We're so close :)

Last edited:
See there we go with the "IF" thing again. We cant have a true Apples to Apples when someone keeps coming in with "IF". Its either we compare Factory rifles or Custom, there is no other way to get close to an accurate comparison without doing that. BUT in BOTH scenarios, the 28 lb for lb wins. Im getting you closer with every post ORANGE DUST. Lets take that step together and come to the same conclusion. Were so cose :)
we will see. If making the case shorter and fatter and adding maybe 50fps tops to the STW somehow gives it a mystical power over the rum. I will tell you this, i pity the test subjects. I am really hoping you are wrong, because i had to gutshoot whitetails inside 400 with 190ABLR's to keep from blowing them in half. Built the 28 to drop back down to STW power so i could shoot them in the ribs again. You need all this power way out there, but it is a pain to deal with if one shows up at normal hunting ranges. I try and set up to avoid this but, for some stupid reason wild animals arent always where they are supposed to be.

Btw im shooting 162eldx's smoking fast. Dont want a heavier bullet for deer. Not needed. Can only shoot about 900 or so where i hunt. Trying to leave something to eat. My 28 will not shoot 162's as fast as my rodded rum will shoot 190's so there is hope.

we will see. If making the case shorter and fatter and adding maybe 50fps tops to the STW somehow gives it a mystical power over the rum. I will tell you this, i pity the test subjects. I am really hoping you are wrong, because i had to gutshoot whitetails inside 400 with 190ABLR's to keep from blowing them in half. Built the 28 to drop back down to STW power so i could shoot them in the ribs again. You need all this power way out there, but it is a pain to deal with if one shows up at normal hunting ranges. I try and set up to avoid this but, for some stupid reason wild animals arent always where they are supposed to be.
Oh tell me about it! We all set our rifles up for some LONG shots and what ends up happening? You jump him at 150 and completely blow one of his quarters off lol. I say get him down and worry about the meat later. We need the Pictures for the memories, we can eat the meat no matter how ugly it looks haha.

Btw im shooting 162eldx's smoking fast. Dont want a heavier bullet for deer. Not needed. Can only shoot about 900 or so where i hunt. Trying to leave something to eat. My 28 will not shoot 162's as fast as my rodded rum will shoot 190's so there is hope.
I have been smoking some Coues White tail out here in AZ @ 5-600 with the 162 in a 7mag. That bullet is PERFECT for deer. 3 deer, 3 hits, all dead on arrival. Instant dirt napp! Im pretty impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.