Caliber Selection...Help!

DFW15TX

Hey guys! This is my first post on any forum so be easy. I have been a hunter for many years but have recently been interested in long range shooting. So I need help in narrowing down on a "all in one" perfect caliber rifle for both whitetail, aoudad, hogs, & long range target shooting amongst our competitive group of hunters. I would like to round to be capable to take down a whitetail at 500yds if I can ever get that good. I have been on this darn computer long enough looking for information to help me with my selection my girlfriends about to kill, or hopefully find a friend. I have narrowed it down to these selections: 6.5x284 Norma, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Weatherby Mag., .30-378 Weatherby Mag., & 7mm Rem Mag. I have yet to shoot any of these calibers so not sure on the recoil but would like something smooth, and any caliber I get will have a muzzle break. Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I appreciate it!

For hunting out to 500 yards on deer size stuff and target shooting meaning many rounds fired I suggest the 6.5-284 out of this list. The others are just to much gun for a lot of target shooting and the 6.5 will do everything you need.

There are lots of good choices from the ones you are looking at and for ease of finding ammo
and having an all round cartridge I think I would chose the 7mm rem mag.

There are lots of good bullets, factory ammo of different power levels from Remington.

Recoil is manageable, Especially with a brake.

Just my choice.

J E CUSTOM

If you are just getting started and want to kill that list of animals and targets then your best bets are the 243, 260, and 308.

These are pictures of animals and targets shot by my son with the 308.
Phil09.jpg

auodad2.jpg

pig07_edited.jpg

fclass1.jpg

Do you handload?
If not you will want to select a caliber that has alot of variety of factory loads available.
That points to the .308. You should be able to find a load that will shoot well in .308.
Plus the ammo for the .308 is usually a little less expensive and you can get it anywhere.
The .308 isn't fancy but with 150gr bullet you will get plenty of velocity with reasonable recoil.
Plenty of oomph at 500yds as well.

Good job BB,with pics of all of the animals he mentioned!!

If recoil is no problem I would go with the 7mm mag. It will give you lots of flexibility and you can extend your range easy as you get better

Last edited:
The above posts make great reason to consider the 308. Out of the ones you had "narrowed it down to", the 7mm rem mag is known for long range accuracy and very flat shooting.....as is the 6.5-284.

6.5-284 will have less recoil and alot of guys shoot them without a brake and find it plenty shootable. Downside is not much selection in ammo yet. Probably have to handload for best results..........Which is where the 7mm mag shines, there are tons of factory offerings in that cartridge.

On these forums, you'll probably find more opinions on calibers and scopes than you could ever imagine.:)

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.