Bullet suggestions

Bigeclipse

Hey guys,
I just bought a 7mm Rem Mag 1:9 twist 24in criterion match grade barrel in light varmint contour. I will be looking to work up a load for this and do not know where I should start. First off, I know factory 7mm RM typically come in 1:9.5 twist. I am not sure how much difference there will between my 1:9 and factory typical 1:9.5 twist. I will be hunting deer only from 0-500 yards. There may be a plan to go on a hunt next year where a 700 yard shot may be possible. I do understand that you cant always get one bullet that works for all distances. If there is a bullet that works great from say 0-400 yards and only "OK" from 400-700yards then that would be fine by me. I was thinking maybe something in the 160 grain weight do to the slightly faster twist? I heard for the standard 1:9.5 twist anything from 140-160 grains is fine but not sure on my 1:9 twist. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

I've had great results with the 150 ETips out of two different Remington 700's in 7mm Rem Mag. They're a fairly long bullet and your twist should have no problem with them. On paper the retained velocity should open them up no problem at the ranges you specified and having shot stuff up close like any monolithic bullet they have no problem staying together. I've had inconsistency with the ETips out of .308's but in our 7mags they are fantastic.

Hey guys,
I just bought a 7mm Rem Mag 1:9 twist 24in criterion match grade barrel in light varmint contour. I will be looking to work up a load for this and do not know where I should start. First off, I know factory 7mm RM typically come in 1:9.5 twist. I am not sure how much difference there will between my 1:9 and factory typical 1:9.5 twist. I will be hunting deer only from 0-500 yards. There may be a plan to go on a hunt next year where a 700 yard shot may be possible. I do understand that you cant always get one bullet that works for all distances. If there is a bullet that works great from say 0-400 yards and only "OK" from 400-700yards then that would be fine by me. I was thinking maybe something in the 160 grain weight do to the slightly faster twist? I heard for the standard 1:9.5 twist anything from 140-160 grains is fine but not sure on my 1:9 twist. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
With all the things you've said considered, I believe the Berger 168 VLD's will be the best bullet for you.

I shoot them out of mine at 3,115 fps (26" barrel). They are bad medicine for deer.

Also, your 1:9 twist is perfect. You can shoot anything from a 140-180gr with that twist.

With all the things you've said considered, I believe the Berger 168 VLD's will be the best bullet for you.

I shoot them out of mine at 3,115 fps (26" barrel). They are bad medicine for deer.

Also, your 1:9 twist is perfect. You can shoot anything from a 140-180gr with that twist.

I was looking into VLDs but was worried about them in short ranges. I have heard two different stories with VLDs and close range...
"Oh my god, it destroyed the deer"
and
"Oh my god the bullet blew up on its shoulder not penetrating through to vitals."

I was looking into VLDs but was worried about them in short ranges. I have heard two different stories with VLDs and close range...
"Oh my god, it destroyed the deer"
and
"Oh my god the bullet blew up on its shoulder not penetrating through to vitals."
Don't shoot them in the shoulder. Massive wound cavity, and will cause major meat damage. Shoot them in the ribs right behind the shoulder about mid-height. It'll take 'em out of the game, and you won't loose hardly any meat. As long as it hits bone, it's gonna expand. And it if expands, it's gonna leave a 2-3" bore-hole sized exit wound. They won't be going far. Neither of mine did. The one that actually ran (175 yard shot), made it about 15-20 yards. The other one flopped dead in her tracks and never moved again (225 yard shot).

Big, MudRunner nailed it, shoot the slats and they don't move at any range. My inlaw's Rem 700 in 7mm Mag shoots the 168 VLD sub- 1/2 MOA with 1 in 9 1/4 twist.

Don't shoot them in the shoulder. Massive wound cavity, and will cause major meat damage. Shoot them in the ribs right behind the shoulder about mid-height. It'll take 'emf the game, and you won't loose hardly any meat. As long as it hits bone, it's gonna expand. And it if expands, it's gonna leave a 2-3" bore-hole sized exit wound. They won't be going far. Neither of mine did. The one that actually ran (175 yard shot), made it about 15-20 yards. The other one flopped dead in her tracks and never moved again (225 yard shot).

Thanks for the tip...now just two questions...lets say its 50 yards away quarreling hard toward you and the only shot you have is shoulder...what would happen if you do hit shoulder or thick leg bone, would It still penetrate to vitals? Second question...you said if you hit bone you get a 2-3" exit wound from expansion...im guessing you meant ribs...what if it went inbetween ribs...would it not expand?

180gr Berger VLD or Hybrid. Flimsy deer will be DOA at any range. Even a shoulder shot at short range will drop them like a bag of bricks. Yes - shoulder shots cause the loss of some meat but deer are DRT and well worth the loss of a small amount of venison IMO.

For the record - IME a 162gr A-Max will have similar terminal performance at any reasonable range. They are very accurate in most rifles that I've shot.

I used the 160 acubond out to 653 yds last year on whitetail in my 7 mag with a 1-9 twist and it performed perfectly. I also shot 1 at 352 hard quartering away it ran 30 yds and fell over the other 2 I shot were 62 and 340 and were broadside it performed perfect. my 7mag will have 160 acubonds in it for a long time LOL. now I have a 7mm lrm that I am trying the 180 hybrid in I hope they work well as well.
Duane

Thanks for the tip...now just two questions...lets say its 50 yards away quarreling hard toward you and the only shot you have is shoulder...what would happen if you do hit shoulder or thick leg bone, would It still penetrate to vitals? Second question...you said if you hit bone you get a 2-3" exit wound from expansion...im guessing you meant ribs...what if it went inbetween ribs...would it not expand?
Quartering hard towards you, shoot him right in the center of the chest and take out the heart... It should drop him fast, if not immediately.

Hey guys,
Accubond or interbond. You might even want to try the Swift Sirocco.

With a 9 twist the 150gr and heavier bullets should spin just fine.

Quartering hard towards you, shoot him right in the center of the chest and take out the heart... It should drop him fast, if not immediately.
Or take the same center line chest shot but higher and transect the spine dropping it DRT.

Center of the chest, just above a line from the point of the shoulder.

Won't even twitch.

Or take the same center line chest shot but higher and transect the spine dropping it DRT.

Center of the chest, just above a line from the point of the shoulder.

Won't even twitch.
Yeah, that's where I'm talking about. It'll take out the heart and most likely get the spinal cord in the same whack. If not, it will cause some serious shock to run through them once that pumphouse gets popped, causing a potential drop in their tracks and fall over.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.