Bullet suggestions for Marco Polo

What about the 160 Matrix for the 6.5 and anneal it, IF, the 7mm is not ready? Just a random thought. .680 BC. My 6.5-284 loves those pills.
I'm curious. What exactly do you mean as far as annealing them and to what purpose?

With lead core bullets I can see this being a real problem causing separation from the Jacket.

With monometal bullets it would I think make sense however.

I'm curious. What exactly do you mean as far as annealing them and to what purpose?

With lead core bullets I can see this being a real problem causing separation from the Jacket.

With monometal bullets it would I think make sense however.

When the jacket nose is drawn down it thickens and work hardens, many of the VLD type bullets have a large cavity at the nose so you can anneal and soften the tips just as annealing cases.
It make a large improvement at slower impact velocities, the lead is never bonded to the jacket so as long as you don't melt the lead bad and it expands out the nose then it works well. On bonded bullets there is no need for it because the bonding process anneals the jackets.

When the jacket nose is drawn down it thickens and work hardens, many of the VLD type bullets have a large cavity at the nose so you can anneal and soften the tips just as annealing cases.
It make a large improvement at slower impact velocities, the lead is never bonded to the jacket so as long as you don't melt the lead bad and it expands out the nose then it works well. On bonded bullets there is no need for it because the bonding process anneals the jackets.
Thanks. That would to me seem though like it would have to change the sectional density due to the shifting of material which would tend to have a negative impact on the BC and possibly stability. It doesn't sound like something I'm going to be trying.

I think I would be more incline to try cutting a + at the tip with a very sharp thin blade if I were going to do anything to them to get better, more consistent opening and then re uniforming the shape of the tip if it were not done satisfactorily upon loading.

Thanks. That would to me seem though like it would have to change the sectional density due to the shifting of material which would tend to have a negative impact on the BC and possibly stability. It doesn't sound like something I'm going to be trying.

I think I would be more incline to try cutting a + at the tip with a very sharp thin blade if I were going to do anything to them to get better, more consistent opening and then re uniforming the shape of the tip if it were not done satisfactorily upon loading.

Nothing moves, the lead is below where your heating and you do it hot and fast so it just anneals the tip. It has zero accuracy affect because ALL your doing is softening the copper tip and nothing else changes.

Mechanically modifying the tips actually has proven to screw things up and cause more issues, BC changes and usually make them open way to easy from what we've found.

Nothing moves, the lead is below where your heating and you do it hot and fast so it just anneals the tip. It has zero accuracy affect because ALL your doing is softening the copper tip and nothing else changes.

Mechanically modifying the tips actually has proven to screw things up and cause more issues, BC changes and usually make them open way to easy from what we've found.
I watched a couple of different videos on doing it and that's not how it was explained. Simple physics says the metal has to move due to the heating as well.

The effect may be negligible on the SD and BC but it has to be moving as since it is expanding and then contracting. You must just be doing it quicker than they way they were describing the process and getting just the very tip heated with the rest submerged if it's not heating eneough to do any melting of the lead.

Thanks for the explanation though.

What about the 160 Matrix for the 6.5 and anneal it, IF, the 7mm is not ready? Just a random thought. .680 BC. My 6.5-284 loves those pills.

I thought about recommending that as well however, I haven't had any first hand experience with it so I did not feel comfortable recommending it.

t

I thought about recommending that as well however, I haven't had any first hand experience with it so I did not feel comfortable recommending it.

t

Understood and agree except several members had tested it and results were positive. Perhaps I should not recommend it without testing for myself.

I hope to shoot some wolves and yotes this winter with the 160's and see how they do. I was going to let my kid shoot a 350 class bull I found but we decided the big bull I shot with my bow earlier was good enough for the season. I tend to regret our decision often but I do have a small vid and picture of him to remind me WE COULD HAVE, but DIDN'T. LOL. Anyway, I have not annealed the 160's myself yet. I really want to see how the do without it first. I have shot out to 1500 yards they fly really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.