.243 Load / Bullet suggestions

BlackSS

I have a savage 243 with a 1 in 9.25 twist barrel headed my way.

I've never loaded for a 243 and just wondering what people have tried that has worked.

I'm thinking a 95 or 105 gr VLD with the bullet touching the rifling is where I'll start with winchester brass (most likely).
I have some Federal 215 magnum primers as well as some CCI bench rest magnum primers.

Any issue using a magnum primer on this round?

Is there a high BC bonded bullet in 243 / 6 mm ?

What is the go to powder for this round?

Suggestion for a starting point and max safe load?

Thanks,
Craig

Well, I would go with Lapua Brass for starters. I currently load the Hornady 95 SST with 37.5grn of IMR 4064 (work up to it). It is a hot load, but works okay in my rifle. The 105, and 107 are going to be your highest BC bullet w/o going to the 115's. I believe the 100grn SBT from Sierra is the highest BC before jumping to target bullets. I want to try some IMR 4350 and H4350 w/ the same bullet at some point. Not sure on velocity. I haven't chronoed the load yet since it is short range hunting in PA woods. My nephew hasn't shot anything with it yet to give a report either.

Tank

Thanks, I was just thinking Winchester brass b/c I have had such good luck with it for my 270 WSM.

For some reason Hornady slipped my mind when I was searching 6 mm bullets, go figure...

I kind of figure that 105 gr is the heaviest I can go to with the 1 in 9.25, what do you think?

How is the 105 gr AMAX?

What are the 105 and 107 you are referring to?

Thanks, I was just thinking Winchester brass b/c I have had such good luck with it for my 270 WSM.

For some reason Hornady slipped my mind when I was searching 6 mm bullets, go figure...

I kind of figure that 105 gr is the heaviest I can go to with the 1 in 9.25, what do you think?

How is the 105 gr AMAX?

What are the 105 and 107 you are referring to?

105 A-max, 105 JLK, or the 107 Sierra Matchking. The 9.25 twist will handle both these bullets. The 115's require a much tighter twist. You will need a 7 or 8 twist. FYI, I've had good luck with Remington brass too. Winchester has left a sour taste in my mouth after having numerous problems with my WSM brass.

Tank

Last edited:
i've had great luck with the 105 a-max. very good accuracy at any range, and very good terminal performance on deer at any range. mine is a 9 twist.

I don't think you need magnum primers.

I actually use CCI BR2 benchrest primers most of the time in 243win.

Magpro will give good velocity.

4350 is good for accuracy. I also use H380 and H414 alot.

I've never loaded for a 243 and just wondering what people have tried that has worked.

I'm thinking a 95 or 105 gr VLD with the bullet touching the rifling is where I'll start with winchester brass (most likely).
I have some Federal 215 magnum primers as well as some CCI bench rest magnum primers.

Thanks,
Craig

First of all I don't us mag primers unless I'm using slower powders and then only in cases that exceed 65 grains of powder.

Your barrel length also determines your choice of powder type. I have a Rem 700 243 with a 26 inch varmint barrel. I predominantly use H4350. I have tried IMR 4831 and RL-22 for 105 - 107gr and always came back to H4350. Lighter bullets RL19 IMR4320

Look at this site. .243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide

Thanks,
Craig
i don't see where you said what you are shooting at. also with mag primers you will likely have higher es and sd; velocity and pressure. guess it depends on what you want. most target shooters use "mild" primers.

i use h/i 4350 for higher velocity; I 4064 and varget for good groups

Ok,
I think I will start with the 105 AMAX, some non-mag primers with Lapua brass.

This is a 22" barrel 1 in 9.25 twist.

Powder suggestions with that in the mix?

Since you're spending a little extra for Lapua brass which I feel will give you better accuracy and life, you should also consider match primers.

I have had good results with both Fed 210m and CCI BR2.

Good luck!!

Thanks, I will likely just buy whatever CCI or Fed primers I can get my hands on. I'm won't pay haz mat shipping from Midway or some place like that and don't have a gun shop that will special order stuff close to home.

Forgot to add:
Use will be medium range deer, 500 yard small predator / varmint and shooting steel.

Lapua brass
Berger 105 gr. Hunting VLD
42.5 gr. of H4350
210 Federal primer

As always, work up to it. Stop if pressure signs appear. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.