.243 Load / Bullet suggestions

the 95 gr berger will work fine in a 9.25 twist but it was designed to run in a 9 twist between 2930 and 2980fps, when you slow the twist down to 9.25 your going to have to turn it up to 3010-3030fps to try to get the right rpm. they fly truer when used by the book i know this for fact with the 105s 2935 in 8= single digit 1k groups!

Hornady 95 SST with 37.5grn of rl15 in winchester brass out of a savage/ steven 200 in 243 winchester, played with this gun out to 800 yards and hit whatever I was aiming for with proper adjustment 100 yards in the same hole over and over but dont get it too hot they have tin barrel, shot 2 coyote with it one at 275 yards and the other 172 yards both DRT. just flips them over but excessive pelt damage was occurred both times.

Last edited:
I found the 95 Berger VLD's in my .243 have performed very poorly on killing animals. Very accurate but I will not shoot them at another animal based on my experience with them.

Never saw a problem with Bergers when the shot placement was right. Instead of the 95grn hunting vld, try the 95grn Berger classic hunter, it might serve you better.

The best killing bullet for game I used in 6mm has been the nosler ballistic tip / combined technology silver tip. Never shot one at a shoulder because I was afraid it might not do what a cup and core would do but when hit in the ribs or neck it just drops em. Funny thing is when I used these in the 30.06 they would splash and organs would be hanging out of the deer. For my .06 the remington premier bonded core lokt has never let me down.

Anybody shoot Speer bullets?

Got my eye on the 100 grain sp Speer for the .243.

I can't say how there 100grn 6mm is but there 75grn hp fb is very accurate from a 10 twist 243 with Imr4895 or RE15 and they will explode a groundhog running them about 3470fps.

I second this suggestion. The 95 gr Match Grade Classic Hunter is made for a 1:10 twist so firing it from the Savage 1:9.25 will be fine. I can tell you from my personal experience that the 95 gr Match Grade VLD Hunting will not group worth a **** from the Savage barrel. Those who shoot these are either using maximum or over maximum loads to spin them fast enough to stabilize. That is a great way to burn your barrel out a lot faster than needed, and drastically reduce brass life.

It is easy to get Savage prefit barrels with the 1:8 twist, they are made by Mc Gowan, Shilen and Criterion at the very least and Jim from NSS either has them in stock or is a few weeks from getting in some more. If you want to shoot heavy VLD's, then step up and get the proper barrel for it. It will save you a LOT of frustration.

Never saw a problem with Bergers when the shot placement was right. Instead of the 95grn hunting vld, try the 95grn Berger classic hunter, it might serve you better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.